New features – January 27, 2006
Busy holiday season for everyone at SmugMug, but especially me.
As a result, we had a ton of new things build up over the holidays and have a much bigger than normal release today. Here’s the list:
- Drag-n-Drop “arrange mode” for photos. Right from your gallery pages, you can re-order the photo display on ‘smugmug’, ‘smugmug small’, ‘Traditional’, and ‘All Thumbs’.
- New Drag-n-Drop option in the dropdown for Journal, Filmstrip, and Slideshow
- New “light box” popup view for larger photos. Try clicking on the medium-sized photo on ‘smugmug’ or ‘smugmug small’ galleries and see what you think.
- New “light box” popup view for Original sized photos all over the site.
- New ‘arrange categories’ tool
- New ‘arrange subcategories’ tool
- New ‘add to cart’ functionality is faster & easier
- New ‘batch add’ cart functionality is much better for adding hundreds of photos to your cart
- Super-speed on the shopping cart (the whole cart is now much faster, especially for carts with thousands (!!) of items)
- Revamped most of the help sections
- New “About Us” pages
- New news entries, including some video
- New smugmug pricing ($39.95/yr, $59.95/yr, $149.95/yr) for new accounts. Old accounts still at old levels, and will be for years
- New order emails, including details on estimate ship time for prints
- New shipping emails, including clickable tracking numbers
- New order details page shows you the current status of your order and possibly shipping information
- Times shown on pages should represent your local timezone
- “Make 2nd copy” now copies the Geo data too
- Updated beta uploader link and page
- Fixed slashes in Categories & SubCategories
- Customizers can reverse the way the arrows in Filmstrip work
- Fixed a problem with + signs in AJAX entries
And major changes to search:
- MUCH faster results. Go ahead, try it.
- No more lame type-ahead searching
- Search bar is now smart and remembers where you are while you’re searching
- Searching now works deeply throughout the site. You can now search for photos within a specific gallery, Category, SubCategory, Community, etc. You can then “drill up” to more broad search results.
- User results show count and pages links
- Gallery results show count and pages links
- Customizers can put the string SMUGSEARCH in their header to include the search bar in their custom look & feel
- Customizers search results are now customized too
- Removed some XSS vulnerabilities in search
There’s probably more, but some may have slipped through the cracks. I’ll follow up if it’s anything significant.