New features – March 16, 2006
Have some great new features tonight:
- Better JPEG Quality. With our customer survey we heard you loud and clear – most of you use broadband. So why not make better looking Small, Medium, and Large images. All photos uploaded from now on will have less compression and better chroma sub-sampling.
- Coincidentally, we also have more bandwidth for everyone! 50% more, to be exact. Standard users now get 6GB/month, Power Users get 12GB/month, and Pros a whopping 32GB/month.
- Keywords now support both commas and semicolons in addition to spaces and quotes. Both IPTC importing and AJAX input fields on the site support this new scheme.
- Fixed a nasty bug with the Drag & Drop uploader which would sometimes cause it to erroneously report the # of photos uploaded.
- Fixed obscure bug with “Delete All Photos” where you were left with a gallery which had a single broken image in it.
- Fixed obscure security hole with blocking Originals. In a rare case, it was theoretically possible to get access to a blocked Original. That’s no longer the case with this particular fix.
…and we have one “public beta” feature: SpeedDemon
- It should dramatically improve the snappiness of users’ homepages, particularly those with lots of friends, family, keywords, and galleries.
- You have to go manually enable it for now. Click here to turn SpeedDemon on or off.
- Please do give us feedback over on our Message Forum so we know whether it works well for you or not. We’re especially interested in those with heavy customization and Themes to make sure that it works well with your custom look & feel.
- If all goes well, we’ll enable it by default for browsers which support it in the near future. Currently that’s IE6 and Firefox. It’s possible, but doubtful, that other browsers will be enabled. Please let us know if some other browser DOES work so we know to enable it.