New features – July 28, 2006
Pros – if you’ve got a defibrillator, you might want to get it. At the very least, sit down and relax before continuing with our list of new features:
- Custom Watermarks. You can now create as many custom watermarks as you’d like and apply them to whatever photos you’d like. The feature includes some advanced options:
- Position. Choose where you’d like your watermark to appear: Center, Top Left, Top, Top Right, Right, Bottom Right, Bottom, Bottom Left, Left, or Tiled.
- Fade. Choose how much transparency and blending we use on your watermark.
- Thumbs. Choose whether the thumbnails are also watermarked, or just the larger images.
- Any image. Any SmugMug image, whether it’s a JPEG from your camera, or a PNG from Photoshop, can be used as your watermark. We recommend PNGs with alpha transparency for the most professional look, and have a tutorial on how to make them, but you can use anything you’d like.
- Digital downloads. You can now price digital downloads and let your customers buy them. You currently have 3 sizes and 2 licenses to choose from, for a total of 6 options. The sizes include ‘Low-Res (1Mpix)’, ‘Hi-Res (4Mpix)’, and ‘Original’. The licenses include ‘Personal use’ and ‘Commercial use’. You can have all 6 options available at different prices, if you’d like, so your customers can choose the size & use that fits their need best. Note that Digital Downloads are ‘instant gratification’ and do not work with ‘Proof delayed shipping’, another new feature.
- Backprinting. We’ll send your photos to be printed with up to 40 characters of text on the back. What’s more, the backprinting is dynamic so you can include the date the photo was taken, the photo’s caption, your name, your domain name, or any one of a dozen other variables. You can set your Backprinting options on a per-gallery basis or for your entire site. (Gallery settings override site settings, just like everything else at SmugMug).
- Proof delayed shipping. You can now, with a gallery setting, choose whether printing and processing should be delayed for a few business days. Using this feature, you can upload low-resolution non-adjusted proofs and replace them with full-resolution adjusted final photos after a customer places an order. The order will automatically ship after that # of days, regardless of whether you’ve made any changes, but if you’re done with your changes you have the option of sending it off for printing immediately with a single click.
- Pro order notification emails. Every time a customer of yours places an order, you’ll immediately receive notification of what they ordered and how to contact them in case of an error.
- Clearer shopping cart wording. We make it clear that the customer is buying YOUR photos and that you’ve partnered with SmugMug to ensure they get the best service and quality possible.
- Pro contact email. You can now set a separate email address in your Control Panel to allow your customers to contact you. This email will be included in their order email & receipt so they can ask you any questions they may have about your order.
- Enhanced our resize-on-demand feature to respect the file extension. For example, if you upload a PNG, you can now get any custom pixel resolution you want, and also choose whether you want a JPEG or a PNG based on the extension in the URL. (We used to always provide a JPG)
- Polished our thanks page for gift accounts.
- Fixed bug on bulk watermarking tool where your photo wasn’t automatically selected.
- Fixed bug on bulk watermarking tool where you could submit a batch of watermarks with no contents.
- Fixed a bug on the new user welcome page regarding Themes.
- Fixed and rewrote lots of helpies
- Added and updated lots of help sections