Speed, Beauty & Brains – January 22nd, 2007
Wow, this one was much more painful and took far longer than we anticipated. Thanks so much to the thousands of you that helped us beta-test it over the last 1.5 months. We really do appreciate it and it’s a much better release thanks to you.
On with the show:
- Speed – faster than ever
- For the SmugMug style, there are no longer “pages”, so moving from photo to photo and “page” to “page” is massively faster.
- No more scrolling when you change pages or photos, it’ll always keep your position.
- Keyboard navigation makes going from photo-to-photo and page-to-page even faster.
- Beauty – clean and pristine
- The new photoBar slides out when you mouse over a photo, and contains most of the links that were cluttering up your pages.
- The new EXIF window keeps you on the page while showing you lots of photo details. Drag it around wherever you’d like, and it’ll keep updating as you go from photo to photo.
- New Save Photo icon is far easier to find than the old text link. (Of course disabling Originals in your gallery settings will remove this, as always)
- Comments now use your Bio photo, if you have one set.
- Brains – juiced up the IQ, too
- Photo comments can be left and read right from the main page – no longer need to click through to a separate photo comments page.
- Can hide gallery comments entirely and just focus on the photo comments.
- the lightBox now remembers what photo you were viewing so when you close it, you’ll still be on the right one.
- lightBox URLs are now permalinks, so you can copy & share at will
- activity notifications, including a throbber, so it’s obvious when things are happening in the UI.
- perfect browser history, including forward & back buttons and bookmarks, across all three major browsers – IE6/7, Firefox, and Safari. An internet first, we believe.
Oh, yes, there is just one more thing… There’s a new sharing interface, including an address book, HTML emails with embedded photos, and detailed tracking of exactly who’s read your email and whether they’ve clicked through to see your photos or not. Look for the ‘Share’ button in your galleries. Enjoy!
PS – All account levels now have unlimited traffic levels. No bandwidth restrictions!