New features – August 2007
We had two great releases this month that satisfied some long-standing feature requests, and squashed an annoying Norton security software bug. Enjoy!
- Filenames now show for you and your visitors throughout the cart and on your order status page. Just toggle the “filenames” option to “yes” in your gallery settings.
- Pros! On your pro pricing page, you’ll find that when you set custom prices for a gallery, the portfolio prices are now displayed right there for your reference. Ditto for image pricing: you’ll see gallery and portfolio pricing right there. A small change that should make pricing much easier.
- We have a hot new uploader page. You’ll be defaulted to the correct tab (Win or Mac) and you’ll like what you find there.
Windows users will see a new, “Simple” uploader along with the familiar choices. We’ve added links to a few cool plugins for Mac users. Plus, it looks so much nicer. Take a peek.
- We auto-rotate images that have proper EXIF orientation tags in them.
- UTF8 characters should work around the site now. This includes captions, comments, gallery descriptions, gallery titles, bio, and more. You shouldn’t be foiled by Ö ç © † ® å Ô ñ ¡ and the like. This does not include keywords, however.
- Comment Captcha is no longer required for Logged-In SmugMuggers.
- The shopping cart used to choke on some characters like & and ‘. All you O’Neils can now place orders without a hitch.
- A recent Norton update caused IE7 and IE6 users to crash when viewing smugmug style. The culprit was a Norton “helper” add-on that came with the update. We gave up on Norton fixing the problem, but our own Web Superhero came through. Thanks Jimmy!
- Changes on the backend of the shopping cart to speed things up. You should be able to put hundreds of images in your cart without long load times.
- The introduction of a slick new add to cart interface! Click “buy this photo” in any gallery and you’ll see something beautiful. A clean, organized way to add multiple items to your cart from the same image. You can view pricing, get the low-down on print finishes, and tell at a glance which print sizes are available without cropping for the image.
- Logged-in pros can now see the price their customers will see, as well as the SmugMug default price they’ll pay for prints, in the new add-to-cart interface. No more logging out to double-check you’ve properly set prices.