Tools clean up – June 3rd, 2008
After gathering feedback, we cleaned out some seldom-used and redundant photo tools, organized and shined up the rest, and fixed bugs along the way.
Every single tool was fussed over to make it more intuitive and faster. Keep an eye out for round 2 (and 3, and 4, and …) but round 1 brought major improvements with subtle changes such as button placement and the addition of breadcrumbs.
Extra goodies we added to several of our bulk tools:
- You can now select multiple thumbnails just like you would in your regular OS, by shift-clicking or clicking and dragging your mouse.
- We added additional photo info for each thumbnail, available on hover-over: A larger version of the image, the caption, and filename.
- Open your browser window wider and we’ll fill it with thumbnails. Less wasted space = less scrolling.
(More on this help page.)
The customize gallery page was also cleaned up. It’s shorter now, with less scrolling, and is better thought-out in terms of wording and organization.
Note that the option to dynamically arrange photos in the gallery is now called “Auto Sort” and if you’d rather arrange photos manually, you’d now select “Auto Sort: None” whereas previously you would have selected “Sort by: Position”.
Also in this release:
- The password change field in the Control Panel used to be case-sensitive when you typed in your email address. Annoying no longer.
- Shined up the “Forgot Password” routine on SmugMug’s login pages. It’s a bit friendlier and easier to follow.
- Updated the Simple uploader.
-Added Hackersafe logo to marketing and signup pages, since we are indeed safe from hackers.
- Added a call to theme designers on our jobs page.
- Updated lots of help pages so that the images match the current appearance of the site.