New Buttons and More – September 26, 2008
With this release, we’ve done away with separate “buy this photo” and “buy multiple photos” links on gallery pages, in favor of a Buy button:
- For logged-in subscribers, the Buy button houses links to create a card, create a photo book, order gallery backup, and peruse mounting and framing options, in addition to links to buy through SmugMug’s shopping cart.
- For visitors, the Buy button houses the same two options as before: essentially buy single and buy multiple.
We also changed the Share button to be a drop-down menu with two options:
- Send an Email
- Get a Link
The other buttons on gallery pages (Map This, Themes, Add Photos, View Cart, and Slideshow) were changed to match.
Important button notes:
- If you’ve customized your buttons, you’ll want to read this thread on Digital Grin.
- An unfortunate side effect of the slick new buttons is that you’ll no longer be able to use CSS to show the buy options underneath your photos, sorry!
Also changed with this release:
- The home link at the end of embedded videos no longer takes you back to a gallery with the Hide Owner option enabled.
- Beefed up the cart to elegantly handle filtering for our new metallic prints.
- Worked some magic on slideshows and videos to make them load faster.
- Updated help pages to reflect the button changes.