SMUGs! – May 7th, 2009
We had a great release last night, but the part we’re most excited about has actually been going on behind the scenes for several weeks now.
SmugMug User Groups (SMUGs) kicked off with a great turnout at SmugMug HQ in April. SmugMug sorcerers were on hand to divulge some of the magic they’re working on and to gather feedback on what our working Pros want to see happen at SmugMug. Lots of passionate photographers showed up to swap tips and ogle the floor-to-ceiling prints we have on the walls of the office.
In this release, we’re announcing nearly a dozen SMUGs in major cities across the US. You can visit the SMUG page for all the details and to sign up for email notifications of new SMUGs as we add ‘em.
Also in this release, we made some good improvements on the Easy Customizer based on your feedback, as follows:
- The parts of advanced customization that directly overlap with the Easy Customizer (Page Title, SmugMug header and footer, and Basic Appearance) are now shown when you use the Easy Customizer, to prevent inadvertent overwriting.
- We added a button to the advanced customization page so you can easily email yourself a copy of your advanced customization code.
- Pros who choose to completely turn of SmugMug’s footer can now optionally add the feeds links back in using the Easy Customizer.
- Pros now have a toggle in their advanced customization page to remove SmugMug’s footer completely. Previously they had to use the Easy Customizer.
- We added a “Help” link to SmugMug’s mini footer. For visitors, it goes straight to our visitor help sections.
- If you’re a Pro and specify a Page Title, we’ll leave out the “- Powered by SmugMug” , so your brand stands alone at the top of the browser.
We also improved the embeddable flash slideshow:
- New configurable settings: autoStart and showSpeed. You can change whether the slideshow starts automatically whether the slow/med/fast controls.
- FIxed it so you can set pageStyle white/black so that the slideshow uses the white OR black SmugMug logo and sets the text to white OR black.
- Fixed a bug where if you set the background color on an embed greater then 1280×720 it wouldn’t honor your color settings.
- Fixed a bug where captions were being truncated in some cases.
We updated the Lensbabies deal in ClubSmug.
More bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug on the pro sales page where clicking through on the image would incorrectly redirect in Internet Explorer.
- Also fixed a bug where the shipping information from an order would be absent in some cases from order emails generated at order time.
- Added shipping method to pro sales information pages so you can see how the order will be shipped to your customer.
- Fixed a bug that caused Internet Explorer to jump to another photo when clicking on Arrange in the tools menu.
- Clarified the wording of pro notification emails for orders that include images purchased from multiple Pros.
- Added shipping for Serbia and Montenegro.
- Fixed the ‘Read more…’ hyperlinks in RSS feeds in Safari to properly point back to the gallery.