It may be April 1st, but our efforts are no joke! We’re back this week bringing you a few new goodies amidst a garden of bug fixes.
SmugMug + iPad™
We’re huge Apple fans, and we hope that those of you who are also waiting for the iPad will be pleased to see a familiar face on their latest and greatest. Check out our brand-new iPad app, which will let you browse not only your own site, but any SmugMug site you please. Fire it up and be ready to show off gorgeous photos, videos and slideshows at any time.
You can download it for free from the App Store℠.
We made a small change to the collecting photos feature so that collecting (and Smart Gallery rules) follows our existing logic for linking and sharing photos. We’ve always allowed photos to be posted to external sites even if you had a site-wide or a gallery password, and if the gallery was unlisted. In the same way, a photo can now be collected from you if the galleries are protected. If you prefer to prevent this, you can:
1. Disable the ‘Allow Collection’ toggle in your Control Panel > Settings tab
2. Disable ‘External Linking’ in the gallery settings where the photo resides.
If you need to review the details of these features, check out the help pages: Collecting. Smart Galleries.
SEO: Use your Meta
We give you lots of great SEO tools so you can hike your Google juice. We made things a bit better by serving up your custom meta information into search results. This means that if you have a gallery description entered in your gallery settings, we’ll use that first. If not, then we use your site meta description, which you can set in your Control Panel’s Settings tab. If you have entered neither, then search results will display our default SmugMug phrase.
We’ve flipped the switch on our new Stats and have bid a fond farewell to v1.0 . Visit your Control Panel and say hello to our formerly-beta stats because they’re here to stay. We really, really appreciate all the feedback you’ve sent us over the last few months. If you’re lost, we updated our help pages, so take a look. Growing never stops; Our ears are still perked if you have any suggestions or gripes.
Comments got a boost and some refinements, so we hope that you’ll notice the difference:
- Notification emails are back to containing the comment text you missed so much.
- If you have elected to receive notifications, you’ll see the messages now indicate if the comment was left on the collected version of the photo.
- The comment notifications will be emailed to the gallery’s owner, not the owner of the photo (if they are different.)
- Although we love to hear from you, we’ve removed our Heroes-in-the-Middle. If the commenter left their email address, hitting reply to the notification will now email the comment author, not our support team.
- When you share a collected photo to Facebook using Be Social, the gallery link will point to the display gallery, not the original location.
- We fixed a bug that was causing your Smart Galleries to break when you previewed your rules.
- Our Timeline got a smack. It now correctly toggles between “date taken” and “upload date.”
- Your Friends and Family box displays all of your additions without overflow or a scrollbar.
- Get a Link now gives the right link for blogs after you choose the thumbnail. It also allows you to grab a gallery link even if the gallery has external linking disabled.
- You can now customize away the “Stuck? Contact this photographer for help” link on the password prompt of a protected gallery.
- We fixed a customization bug that caused a few Buy buttons to hide. Your old customizations should work just fine once more.
All the best,
The SmugMug Family