HD Video for Power Users, SmugShot updates, bug fixes
HD Video for Power Users
Power Smuggers can now upload HD movie clips to their galleries, just like Pros. That’s 10 whole minutes of gorgeous, jaw-dropping, television-quality video, although we’ll also make a variety of smaller display sizes to fit every screen. All the info is here.
Get shooting and start sharing!
Our SmugShot app for the iPhone got a sweet update. It now offers iOS4 support and a cleaner interface. When you fire it up, you can shoot photos as well as video clips and choose photos or video files from your iPhone library.
Note: Previously-recorded videos uploaded from your library will be subject to the iPhone’s native compression. This means they may not look as nice as the HD videos shot through the SmugShot app. Read more about this on our CEO’s blog.
Click Edit and you’ll see a beefed-up geotagging feature. If the photo doesn’t already have geographic information you can click to use your current location.
Get snapping! Download the app or get the update from the App Store.
We’re always putting out lots of great stuff and it made us sad that so many of our customers didn’t know about them. Now, we’ll keep you up to speed on the most noteworthy features when you visit your site. No worries: Just like our former homepage SmugNews box, your guests will never see it.
A fortnight later, we’re still ecstatic about our MOO.com partnership. Thanks to all of you who’ve tried it and helped us work out the initial bumps. MOO has extended the expiry date of those promotional discounts so if you haven’t already ordered some fabulous business cards, you’ve got till July 31st. To refresh your memory:
- Standard and Power Smuggers can get 10% off any order from their site. Order as much as you like, as often as you like.
- Pros get a pack of 50 business cards or a pack of 100 MiniCards on the house. All you pay is shipping. (One per customer)
- iPhone and iPad visitors can view your buttery-smooth slideshows. This includes your homepage slideshow box, event slideshows, or gallery’s slideshow viewing style. This does not include any slideshows placed using copied/pasted embed code. Accoutrements like captions and the thumbnail bar don’t yet show, but we’re still hammering at this. Stay tuned!
- We’ve moved our Simple uploader to an overlay when you click Upload > To this Gallery. You’ll always know where you’re working. Click here for to give this beta feature a try.
- iPhone videographers: Movie clips shot in portrait orientation will appear right-side up in your galleries.
- Due to popular request, we now support MTS video files, so go ahead and drop those in your friendly uploader. While we’re at it, if your camera shoots videos at 1440 x 1080 size we’ll take those, too.
- Some Quicktime movies confused our file length detectors, causing erroneous upload errors. Now they’ll be OK.
… and other fixes:
- We were hearing about a few galleries that were playing hide-and-seek on some of your Categories pages. You were able to bring them back by arranging your galleries, but we’ve fixed it so they’ll appear without further trouble.
- Similarly, updating more than one gallery simultaneously sometimes hid one of them. We fixed this, too.
- Your mobile site ( http://nickname.smugmug.com/m/ ) recognizes and displays galleries containing Collected photos.
- Customers filling Packages should see thumbnails when the gallery is set to any viewing style, even our older ones like All Thumbs, Traditional and Filmstrip.
- Photos collected from passworded galleries should appear consistently to logged-out visitors.
- Our Events feature had a little blip in the email department. We’ve taken note and now your email templates work so you can use them again and again.
- The Stats > Popularity tab got a fix: Filenames show up under each thumbnail, and the links to view specific dates should display the ranges you expect.
Wishing a safe July 4th to our US-based Smuggers, and a great weekend to all!
The SmugMug Family