Home > release notes, SmugMug > 24 Very Megabytes

24 Very Megabytes

Oh, just one more change that we snuck in this week:

• All Smuggers can now upload photos up to 24 MB apiece.

Ya’ll asked. Ya’ll get.

Gone are the days of itty-bitty point-and-shoot pics. Technology moves fast and now you can upload straight from your cams. Keep them in JPG, PNG or GIF formats and you’re good to go.

Here’s to making (big) beautiful pictures together,

The SmugMug Family

Categories: release notes, SmugMug
  1. October 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

huge thanks from both me and my 5DMkii ! shoot in raw and i’m looking forward to leaving my jpeg export at 90% without bumping into the limit. Thanks!!!

2. October 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thank yup SM. I often it that limit so now I should be good to go. yeah for smugglers

3. Johnny
    October 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm

This is great but i wish it was increased for pro users

4. Ryan
    October 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm

You just made my day, thanks guys :)

5. Martijn
    October 1, 2010 at 9:47 pm

From the bottom of my heart: I love you guys! :-)

6. October 2, 2010 at 6:06 am

Johnny :

This is great but i wish it was increased for pro users

Hi Johnny, if you need help with your workflow, let me know. I shoot with 21MP cameras, professionally – and never need more than 24Mb files. I’m happy to assist, just write me, ATTN: Andy, http://smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Thanks!

• Bob Cain
      October 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Andy, for the remaining file size discussions. Simply edit your business rules to only focus on maximum megapixel size and ignore file size. I think the max size for pros is 41MegaPixles.

Well just make the limit 41MP. That will even allow the new Pentax D645 @ 40MP to upload unrestricted and possibly the next version of the D3X to upload with no issues requiring another edit to your business rules on the backend.

Not to mention you’d also serve some other medium format customers that are locked out due to size restrictions.

• February 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hello – This is Bob Cain via my twitter account..,
        Now that the Nikon D800’s mainstream DSLR is @ 36MP can you eliminate the size restriction and only focus on MegaPixel limit.

Here is a sample photo off the Nikon website that is 36MB (under your MP limit) however is OVER your file size limit of 24Megabytes.

This file is 29Megabytes in size.

Best,

7. Jan
    October 4, 2010 at 8:37 am

Andy Williams :

Johnny :
    This is great but i wish it was increased for pro users

Thanks!

Hey Andy,

I wish as well that you would increase the limits for pro useres. I occassionally do panorama images which are way more than 24 mb.

Thanks!

Jan

8. October 21, 2010 at 11:45 am

I was hoping for an increase myself, because I’m starting with 500 MB film scans for my fine art work.

9. June 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

“Gone are the days of itty-bitty point-and-shoot pics.”

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: 24MB is an itty-bitty point and shoot pic. That’s nothing. A stitched panorama can easily exceed 24 MB (try stitching 6-10 images together, and you’re approaching the size of a 16-bit medium format image).

Or take a 4×5 and drum scan it. Now you’re looking at an image of up to 1 GB in 16-bit color. The current file limits require downsizing that to 1% of its original resolution and removing a large portion of the color detail, and on top of that, compressing it using a lossy codec.

The result? Smug just doesn’t cut it for fine art printing. That’s why I stopped using Smug for print fulfillment, and now use it only for the online galleries and unlimited number of files.

Of course, uploading a gallery full of 1 GB images isn’t very practical, so a better solution is probably to support custom order fulfillment, using the puny 24MB images as proxies instead of printing those tiny images themselves.