Home > business, Customization, Site design, SmugMug > Smug Tip of the Week: Get a Custom URL in Three Steps with SmugDomains

Smug Tip of the Week: Get a Custom URL in Three Steps with SmugDomains

Did you know that SmugMug has long been partners with Go Daddy, one of the best domain registrars in town? Through the years, tons of happy Power and Pro SmugMuggers have easily bought and set up their own URLs through our joint site, Smugmugdomains.com .

We recently gave the site a face lift, so it’s easy to use and easy on the eyes:

If you were on the fence about grabbing your own URL for your site, it’s dead simple to get one now.

Custom URLs in Three Steps

Does it get any easier than this?

1. Search for an available domain.

2. Purchase it from Go Daddy.

3. Plug it in to your SmugMug Control Panel. You’re done!

Already With GoDaddy but New to Smug?

We provide simple instructions on how to manually set up your custom domain.

Just point your CNAME ‘www’ to domains.smugmug.com and your A record ‘@’ to 208.79.45.23  .

Transfer From a Different Registrar

If this sounds great but you already have a domain with another company, you can transfer it to Go Daddy.

Just go here and click on the “login to Go Daddy” link. Look for the “Transfer”  option under the black “Domain Names” drop-down at top left. They’ll walk you through the rest.

Of course if you’re ever stuck, confused or just plain have a question, shoot our Heroes an email. We’ll getcha hooked up in no time.

1. May 31, 2011 at 10:43 am | #1
  2. June 2, 2011 at 9:23 am | #2

Thanks for the tip – Smugmug heroes saved the day when I got stuck….thanks y’all!!

3. June 2, 2011 at 10:48 am | #3

What if you have a domain elsewhere and you don’t want to transfer it to GoDaddy?

• June 2, 2011 at 10:55 am | #4

Hi Dianne, you can still have it point to SmugMug the same way as described above for Go Daddy: Make sure the CNAME ‘www’ to domains.smugmug.com and your A record ‘@’ to the IP 208.79.45.23 .

As always, you can write to our support heroes and they will be happy to set it up for you.

• June 2, 2011 at 11:15 am | #5

Okay, thanks. I appreciate your response.

4. June 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm | #6

I love my website and to be able to share all my photos! Thank you.

5. June 22, 2011 at 10:00 am | #7

This was so simple I thought I had not done it correctly…thanks for helping us along in our website journey!

6. September 13, 2012 at 6:20 am | #8

Great tip, one question though. Can I set up a domain to point to just one of my albums? For example, I purchase the domain… JoeandJuliewedding.com can I have that pointed to just their gallery on my smugmug account?

• September 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | #9

Hi Jorge, at this time it’s not possible to set up the custom domain to point to a single SmugMug gallery. Here’s what our domain heroes say in response to this question:

“The only way you could get your domain name to point to a specific gallery would be to set up forwarding for that domain name, and forward that domain name to a specific gallery. But, your domain name wouldn’t remain in the address bar in the browser when you set up forwarding, though that would be a workaround of sorts to make that happen. Some domain hosts allow you to configure domain forwarding with “masking” (keeps the URL in the address bar permanently), but I’d strongly advise against that practice, as that can cause you to have many problems with your site, especially with things that use browser cookies (like passworded galleries and the shopping cart). We can’t support masked/forwarded domains for this reason.”

• September 14, 2012 at 6:19 am | #10

Great info, I thank you for looking into this.