Smug Tip of the Week: Viewing Your Stats
Whether you’re seeking total photo-fame or fear peeping toms on your private site, our powerful built-in Stats features help you keep on top of your game.
Find Your Stats
You can view them at any time by visiting your Control Panel in the Stats tab:
… or from inside any gallery by clicking the Tools button and looking under This Gallery:
How to Interpret Those Numbers
We give you 6 tabs across the top that let you see just what’s going on around your site. You can get as general or as specific as you wish, pulling numbers from your whole site or from just one gallery. Don’t forget to adjust the calendar at the top to pick a date range, too. More details.
For simplicity we give you a row of four quick links (“today”, “yesterday”, etc.) across the top so you can get the most-requested date spans with a click:
- Every time an image (or video) is loaded onto someone else’s screen, that counts as a hit. When you’re logged in and view your galleries as the site owner, we won’t count those.
- If you have ever shared the link to an unlisted or passworded gallery with someone, they can continue to generate hits if as long as they have access to the gallery. So if you want to cut them off, add or change the viewing password.
- Views to your photos, hosted from your galleries, will generate hit counts. Lots of them! Remember this if you’ve ever posted an image to an external site like blogs and forums. To foil this, you may want to disable External Linking in your Gallery Settings.
What doesn’t get counted:
- How many times an image was downloaded.
- How many times a video was played through to the end. We do count how many times it was started, and hits to the preview JPG.
For statistical superpowers you can sign up for a free Google Analytics account here. You’ll get a Web Property ID number (Hint: It starts with a “UA” and is followed by numbers and dashes) that you should copy. Paste it into the “External Visitor Tracking” section in your SmugMug Control Panel.
Give it a day or so to start collecting data and get ready to crunch some numbers!
We like pretty pictures, so one of our favorite features that Google offers is the Map Overlay. This shows you from which countries (and towns) your fans are viewing your site:
Dig around and see what other cool features they offer. Don’t forget that while you can check your SmugMug stats at any time at SmugMug, you’ll need to log in at Google to view your Analytics.