Home > bug fixes, business, Images, release notes, Sales > Plus Ten to Proof Delay

Plus Ten to Proof Delay

We made Proof Delay a heck of a lot smarter.

In the old days, your clients would sometimes order prints cropped a certain way, and when you replaced it with an edited photo of a different shape it wouldn’t always work out so well. Heroes to the rescue and everything, but, yanno.

And if you replaced the image with something that was shaped the same, there wasn’t a way to remember exactly how they’d had it cropped in the first place.

We’ve fixed all that.

How it works.

Pros, the very next time you get a cropped order held for Proof Delay, don’t fret. We’ll now do the following:

1) Show you the exact same crop your client used if you replace the photo with an edited version of the same shape and size.

2) Show you a thumbnail of the original image with the crop when you replace the photo with one that’s a different shape and size.

3) Display the thumbnail with the original image and crop when you go in and try to adjust the crop on a replaced image of a different size.

We hope this makes your life a whole lot easier and that your customers don’t notice a thing. Except, of course, how much they love their prints and what a great photographer you are.

The Magic of Proof Delay

Remember that using this simple feature in all of your for-sale galleries can help you upload your proofs to your gallery ASAP, and let you only edit the photos that get bought. Plus, if there are any problems with the order, our Support Heroes have a gazillion times’ higher chance of being able to cancel, fix, or correct the problem before your customer even notices.

We can’t stress enough just how cool the Proof Delay feature really is. It saves you time AND helps you give your clients a better product. And it comes baked right in to each and every SmugMug Pro account.

Questions? Suggestions? Epic tales of how Proof Delay saved your bumme? We’d love to hear it all, so talk to us!

Bonus Pro tips for you:

1. October 19, 2011 at 9:54 am

I didn’t even know I wanted this! Fantastic.

2. October 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Beautiful! Now I won’t here the usual complaint such as “What happened to the red barn?”.

An awesome feature!

Thanks Smug

3. October 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm

This is going to be good! I am really just getting started with smugmug.com but I am looking foward to the great future that I am going to have with them!

4. October 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Boomshakalaka!

5. Rick Pilgreen
    October 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great work guys. Your work and effort is greatly appreciated. My vote for the next big feature add is proof delay on digital downloads.

Thanks again!

6. October 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I guess all my complaining finally paid off.

7. October 19, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Awesomeness with sprinkles on top!

8. October 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Haymarket Joe :
    I guess all my complaining finally paid off.

lol. You know what they say about the sqeaky wheel…

9. October 20, 2011 at 7:44 am

Yes. Someone asked for proof delay for digital downloads. I agree.

10. October 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wonderful!! Thank you, SmugMug!

11. PETEWITH THE BIG CAMERA
    October 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Now you need something that doesn’t screw with 5X7 ratios and crop it so much when changing from full frame to non full frame cameras. mY customers are always emailing me about why 5X7 are cut off or 11x

12. Bob Crosser
    October 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Great. Now here’s another problem you can now work on: when a client creates a “card” (like a Christmas card; there are other creations with this same problem) they have created a new image that I can’t update – my original image is merged with a customized frame. SO, if I update the original image they used, it is not replaced in their card.

Also, you could fix the problem of not calculating sales tax on purchases made with credit. This problem was brought to SM’s attention over a year ago, and acknowledged as such, yet it remains.

13. October 22, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I wonder, what is the best resolution to upload proofs w/o uploading the highest res (takes WAY too long) that will still allow the customer to order all print sizes? If I upload my typical proof size (800×800 or thereabouts) my customers are not able to order many of the larger print sizes. Is there a workaround for this?

• October 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hi Christie, your best bet may be to take a look at our resolution requirements for our different print sizes and upload images that is around the dimensions of what you want to offer. Chances are those sizes will still be significantly smaller than the full-res files that your camera puts out: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359-resolution-for-printing

If you have other questions our support heroes are always happy to share suggestions, so write us. Hope this helps!

14. October 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Christie Mumm :

One of the best ways around this issue are to quickly resize your images to a lesser quality setting. You can reduce image size a lot. This will allow you to have your full catelog of products ready to order quickly. But be sure to have proof delay on so that you can upload a higher quality file for any orders.

Also, if timeiness translates to more revenue, consider upgrading your Internet if possible. If it’s not possible, you can run multiple connections using a multi-wan router setup like I have. I’ve got 15mb upload speeds when the fastest upload speeds in the area are 5mb (5×3). Email me if you need more details on this.

• November 11, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hello Samir,

Could you please provide more details on your multi-WAN router setup, and how I might accomplish that with my cable modem?

Thanks,
      Art Minds

• November 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm

This is usually more expensive than just upgrading to a higher speed Internet, so if you’ve got something like 50/10 available for $200/mo is better to go that route. But otherwise, here’t the basics:

Basically you get a second (or more) cable modem(s) from your service provider. Each modem will get your maximum bandwidth for upload and download. For example Knology’s fastest is 25/5. I need more upload bandwidth than 5Mb, so I have two more modems, each at 25/5 for a total of 25*3=75 and 5*3=15.

Some providers will need to run individual lines for each modem, but most will just split the line to each modem. Most providers won’t get what you’re trying to do and you will need to keep insisting you need a second modem at full speed to have more bandwidth–not a router to share the Internet or anything like that, which they’ll keep trying to talk you into because they don’t get what you’re doing.

This is step one because most computers can’t use multiple connections 100%, unless there’s something in Vista I don’t know about. This is even more important if you have more than one computer that needs Internet access.

The second step is to get a multi-wan router. This is where the expense really kicks in. The Cisco RV016 is what I use, and it’s $500. But they also make an RV042 that starts at under $200. If you’re used to configuring Linksys routers, these will be second nature to you (Cisco bought these products over from their Linksys acquision). But I actually don’t recommend them. I’d go with a peplink.com router even though I’ve never tried one They’re pricier for sure, but they don’t seem to have the firmware and other bugs that the Cisco products have. And these bugs are BAD. I had to get two additional routers in from of my rv016 and have to reboot every 8hrs or the DNS lookups stop working on my network. Annoying.

Anyways, if this was all greek to you, feel free to get in touch with me via email and I’ll go into more detail.

15. Rick
    October 24, 2011 at 4:52 am

Samir, I do exactly what you described and that is resize to a lesser quality and with proof delay on, I can control what my customer gets when they order prints by uploading Hi-quality images after the sale. But I sell a lot of digital downloads and I have no way of controlling what those customers get unless I sell nothing but lo-res images and with my customers, I just don’t think they would buy them. I appreciate very much the effort put forth SmugMut on proof delay for print. But the top item on my wish list this holiday season is Proof Delay for digital downloads.

• Rick
      October 24, 2011 at 4:55 am

Sorry, early in the morning and I fat fingered my typing. That should be effort put forth on SmugMug. I truly did not intend to type SmugMut.

Rick

16. October 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

Great Job.

17. October 24, 2011 at 9:20 am

Rick :

Yeah, this workflow falls apart pretty quickly if you offer digital downloads. Time to upgrade the upload bandwidth! ;)

• Rick
      October 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thanks but if you are talking about bandwidth on my end its fine, it’s not T-1 but its high speed all the way so that’s not the issue. But even with high speed, uploading ten to sixteen meg files takes time and to be frank, I just can’t imagine SmugMug wanting every Pro to upload tens of thousands of sixteen meg files through SmugMug’s bandwidth and onto their servers. Besides, not that I’m looking to move, but I’ve spoken to other photographers that host elsewhere and their providers offer proofing on digital downloads. So I’m just saying it would be another great reason of many to say I host my photos on SmugMug!

18. October 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Rick :

Ummm…I hate to tell you this, but T1s are very slow. At 1.54Mbps, they can barely move 100k/sec. On a 10-16MB file, that means over 1.5-3mins per image! With my current setup of 15Mbs, those same files would take about 10seconds. Huge difference. I regularly upload almost 10gbs every weekend to SM, and it’s done within hours. Not as fast as with ftp, but that’s another story…

19. November 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

To be honest, I used to be a Printroom client ( I didn’t like they was they didn’t pay me) and liked the way the upload tool worked with them. As a sports guy, I had 200-400 image galleries. The Printroom uploader ony uploaded a thumbnail image. When an order was placed, I got an email stating the full-sized image was needed to fullfill the order. I really liked this feature, it made my gallery uploads very quick and I only had to post process the images that sold.

SmugMug’s customer service is awsome and I’d never go back to PR, but I wish they could work this feature in for us sports guys with huge galleries….

• November 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hi Ralph and thanks for the detailed feedback. This is a great idea and we’re pleased that you shared it with us. I’m sure you’re not alone in wanting this ability to upload smaller photos and the reminder to swap them out for your orders. Could you vote for this in our feedback forum if you haven’t already? http://feedback.smugmug.com/

20. November 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Rick :

Ahh, I totally understand this. Personally, I can see digital download proof delay being a huge demand since the process is the same from our end–digital or print, we have to look good!

Not much of a choice in your case except to up your bandwidth. Or if SM would introduce FTP to make uploads much more efficient and therefore faster.