Home > Images, photography, video > Vincent Laforet’s Guide to Making Electrifying Images

Vincent Laforet’s Guide to Making Electrifying Images

If you’ve ever held a DSLR in your hands, you’ve probably heard of Vincent Laforet.

He’s the Pulitzer Prize-winning mastermind behind some of the most incredible photos seen in National Geographic, The New York Times, Vanity Fair, Time and more.

Vincent earns his bread and butter using the industry’s most coveted photographic equipment. He is a Canon Explorer of Light who breaks down the barriers between Photo and Video. We’ve been behind him since his his first HDDSLR short film, Reverie, and now he’s written a book that everyone should read.

Visual Stories: Behind the Lens with Vincent Laforet

Whether you’re an avid photographer or just someone who seeks a better creative process, you’ll love taking the journey through Visual Stories.

In it, you’ll find over 200 pages of inspiring photos, personal reflection and informative technical details to help craft your unique vision. The DVD contains over 60 videos that get you up-close and personal with the photojournalist himself.

"The image tells the story of her victory from the context of the thousands of people who had witnessed the moment. This perspective gives you an appreciation for the scale of the event that you don’t necessarily get with a long telephoto lens, where the background is completely blurred out." - Excerpt from Visual Stories by Vincent Laforet

Because Laforet’s experience began in journalism, he shows you how the principles of this genre can be applied to tell powerful stories in a single image. You’ll learn how to craft this energy into any type of photograph, include landscapes, close-ups, portraits, action shots, aerials and more.

Plus, get tips on using light, shape and color to create rich photos that support your story and add intense beauty and emotion.

Vincent Makes his Mark for You

We’ve got five autographed copies of this beautiful book, ready to find their way into your hands. Here’s how to get one:

1. Like SmugMug’s Facebook page HERE.
2. Post a message on our Facebook wall telling us why you want this book.

We’ll pick five lucky winners from the list on Wednesday, December 28, 2011.

So what will it be? You can keep grasping in the dark and taking the same photos, or you can grab a copy of Visual Stories and learn how a master works his craft. Check it out now at Peachpit Press.

1. December 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I would love this book just to witness a broader range of this master’s work! His work is absolutely stunning, capturing moments and creating art … all in the same moment!

2. December 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Provocative images at which you are compelled to look twice and sometimes more to appreciate the story trailing them. The images seem to be in front of the story, not behind it, taking you to the moment within the moment that something more dormant in the story it seems to me.

3. December 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Would LOVE to get a copy of this book! I am always looking for different perspectives (both figurative and literal) to shoot from, and love being inspired by people who are willing to share their expertise!

4. December 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I would love to have this book for many reasons; one of them is to see the world through his eyes and through his lens in front of them. Another is just to be mesmerized again and again when looking at his work. The last but not least is just to have it handy and learn to see a difference while creating a moment.

5. Vanessa L. Palardis
    December 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

.I am a picture taking addict. I would ever so appreciate a copy of this book so i can get a better grasp of how to take an even better picture. I am a an amature in details and would love to experience photography thru someone elses eyes.

6. December 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I had the pleasure of hearing Vincent speak in Las Vegas this year, where he presented and discussed images that were included in his book. I found his example inspirational as a photographer. His stories of how many of the shots were made illustrated and backed up his life example of preparation and practice. My practice was immediately changed toward his approach. I’d love to have a copy of his book to remind me how I can further improve my photographic experience, and of the memorable presentation I was lucky enough to see.

7. Phil Beavis
    December 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

I love to look at quality pictures and count Vincent Laforet as one of the great photographers of our time. However, seeing the pictures in combination with an explanation of the shot and how they were actually produced would just be fantastic. This book would be a great way to learn and I am hoping that my own photography will benefit significantly as a result. I think the title of this book says it all “Visual Stories” is the name of the game and what I myself aspire to create in future.

8. December 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Vince is a good guy. He’s active on twitter and has answered several of my questions. I’m glad he’s doing well for himself. He deserves it.

9. December 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thanks for your comments folks! Please post your comment on our FB wall: facebook.com/smugmug

“2. Post a message on our Facebook wall telling us why you want this book.”

10. December 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I would love to have his book just to learn his techniques. I am willing to learn more and I know I need it. I just saw some of his unique photos.

11. Cindy Drenth
    December 30, 2011 at 4:13 am

I am a rookie photographer looking to expand my techniques and photography vision. He is an awesome photog and I would like to learn from one of the best.