Home > Images, new features, release notes, SmugMug, Users > iPhone. Photography. Awesomized. Free.

iPhone. Photography. Awesomized. Free.

… it is by far one of the most full-powered camera apps I’ve used, and it marks an exciting advance for smartphone cameras.
The Wall Street Journal

Here at last. Our baby. As you know, photography is our life and our passion. So we created the camera you never knew you always wanted, the camera we always dreamed of – a camera fit for the iPhone.

Camera Awesome is SmugMug’s new iPhone app. It lets you take beautiful photos using the camera you already have. No ads, no cost, no catch (seriously, it’s free). So go ahead, create those memories and share them on the sites you love.

Camera Awesome is the Future of Photography

As amazing as expensive cameras are, they can’t do at any price what Camera Awesome can for free:

• Be so simple anyone can use it.
  • Provide advanced features like a level for the horizon and an easy way to focus in one spot and set exposure in another.
  • Apply effects designed by pro photographers (like Kevin Kubota) to transform your memories from forgettable into stunning works of art.
  • Share instantly on all your favorite sites.
  • Auto-archive photos and videos to your SmugMug account.
  • Precord video so that when you tap the record button, you record the past.
  • Be fun and whimsical and… did we say fun and whimsical?

How is it different?

It’s FAST.  Simple.  Beautiful.  And so, so fun!

It’s loaded with gorgeous effects and filters that would cost a pretty penny in professional editing programs.

Share on the social networks you already use, like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and more.

You Are SO Gonna Have Fun.

Here are some of the Awesome things you can do with this app:

• For moms - Catch those first steps or the winning goal. With hi-speed burst mode and 5-second video precording, all of those moments are yours forever… and safely backed up to SmugMug so you can print them big and bold.
  • For adventurers - Capture your experiences anytime, anyplace, without weighty gear. Climb mountains, cross borders and leap from the sky with just your iPhone in-hand. Auto-archiving means you’ll never lose your photos when you’re on the road.
  • For photographers - You’ll love the exclusive collection of filters, textures and frames offered by post-processing superstar Kevin Kubota. Apply stunning, Lightroom-worthy effects to your photos in just a few taps.

Are You Ready to Shoot Like a Pro?

Check out what you can do:

Ready?

Get it free now from the App Store and start Awesomizing your world.

1. February 29, 2012 at 6:05 am

Any plans for an Android version?

2. Ric
    February 29, 2012 at 6:16 am

Android please.

3. February 29, 2012 at 6:40 am

How long until Andriod is awesomized?

4. February 29, 2012 at 7:03 am

We’re working on Android. Promise. But it’s *very* hard. There’s a ton of different hardware, and then Google/Android give us pretty insane memory limitations. We’re working through all the issues, but it will still be awhile. :(

Turns out there’s a good reason why there aren’t any great camera apps on Android yet. They make it nearly impossible. :(

• February 29, 2012 at 7:35 am

Don,
      Thank you for reply to this. You guys never let me down. :) I know how daunting it is for an app developer to create a quality app for Android (dozens of devices) vs 1 device. And while there are a few “good” Android camera apps… you guys might could see this as a your chance to release the first really great one. My friends with Android devices (phones and tablets) outnumber my apple using friends 10:1, easily. It would be awesome to be able to recommend the Smugmug camera app to them all, introducing them to this service and community.
      Keep up the good work and please keep us updated on the Android apps progress!

Don MacAskill :

• February 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

It’d be awesome if you made your “optimal” app and released the .apk for some of us to push to our devices, then the slimmed down version for the market for those who don’t know their way around the adb. That’d be sweet =D

(I don’t have an android device anymore, but when I did, I loved those apps that I needed to push along)

• Emma
      February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

How do I zoom in on a subject? I can’t figure that out. Thanks,

• February 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hey Emma, touch the space right above the camera button, and you’ll see the zoom bar display.

• Emma
        March 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Katherine. For some reason that was not intuitive to me. I ended up using camera+ before I read your response. Thank you!

5. Rob
    February 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

Yay, more faux-vintage photo filters. :(

• dtkindler
      February 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

Perhaps you aren’t yet “ready to shoot like a pro”.

• February 29, 2012 at 9:59 am

Rob, you certainly don’t have to use those filters if you don’t want to. You can still shoot, Awesomize and tweak individual settings (sharpness, temp, vibrance and contrast). What sorts of looks did you have in mind if ours don’t rev your engines?

6. February 29, 2012 at 7:33 am

THANK YOU!!!! You guys are wonderful. :) Love it already!

7. Marie
    February 29, 2012 at 7:34 am

Is there a guide posted somewhere that shows what the different symbols and functions mean? I don’t see anything helpful in the support page.

8. February 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Great work guys! The split focus/exposure points alone are well worth the accolades.
    Totally understand the Android hassles…

9. Ian B
    February 29, 2012 at 8:48 am

No iPad? iPads have cameras (and feelings) too!

• February 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

Ian, thanks for the feedback! We hear ya and would love to get a fresh new updated iPad app, too. Can you weigh in on that here? http://feedback.smugmug.com/

10. Noah
    February 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

Looks great. But what I *really* want is a good SmugMug gallery app for my iPhone.

• February 29, 2012 at 11:56 am

Noah – we do to. Stay tuned, promise.

• Noah
        February 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Woohoo!

11. February 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

iPhones were so last year, where is the Android version!?

• February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ricky, our co-founder and Chief Geek gave some great insight above about why we don’t have an Android version just yet. Hope this helps!

• John
      March 7, 2012 at 8:00 am

“…so last year.” Really? Not! ;-) I know some folks love their Androids but please don’t dis the iPhone!

12. February 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thank you!! Awesomeness!
    Not to be nit-picky but… iPad? Pretty please? :)

• February 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

Beth, feedback from you guys is never too nit-picky. :) We understand there’s tons of iPad users out there, too, that want some love. Thanks for weighing in!

13. Dawn J
    February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Thanks for your continued work to get our Androids a copy of this awesomeness.

14. Leo
    February 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

Windows phone version?

• February 29, 2012 at 11:58 am

Great idea, Leo. Thanks for throwing in your feedback!

• February 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Ditto to this. :-)

15. February 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Very nice – thank you for creating this. Is there a guide available to explain features & how to fully use them? One thing I expected (and might find in that guide) given the camera’s function set is the ability to snap multiple shots off the timer option, but cannot see how to make that work.

Thanks again !

• February 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hi Dave, we have an overview of the different features and buttons here, so check it out:

16. Emma
    February 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

Just downloaded it, but can’t figure out how to zoom in on anything. Any suggestions?

• February 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Emma, when you’re in camera mode just tap the bottom area of the viewfinder and you’ll see a zoom bar appear. In fact, every time you load up Camera Awesome, you should see it fade in for a second and then get out of the way.

• shreejisol
      February 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

You can zoom in/out after taking the shot but not while you are taking the shot. Not sure if this limitation was intentional.

• shreejisol
        February 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I spoke too soon. Sorry about that. “schmoo” thanks for clarifying that.

17. February 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

I think you guys nailed this one. This beats the 4 other camera apps that i PAID for.

18. February 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I too vote for an Android app.

• February 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Hi Don, see comment #4 by our CEO & Chief Geek :)

19. shreejisol
    February 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Having Sharing issues in Camera Awesome!
    I took a picture. Then while trying to share on smugmug, in Cross Posting section, I turned on Facebook and Twitter but those photos do not show up in my Facebook or Twitter. They got uploaded to my smugmug account just fine.
    Note that I did give access to Facebook and Twitter account so access should not be a problem.
    Is this a known issue? Or am I missing some steps?

• February 29, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Hey there! Can you email our Awesomize Team with info on your phone and screenshots if possible? Awesomize[at]smugmug[dot]com.

• shreejisol
        March 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Katherine for your reply. The Cross Posting did show up in facebook but almost 10hrs later. Not sure what happened there. I’ll keep using this feature and if the issue persists, will email to Awesome Team. You guys ARE Awesome and this is a great app. Forget Instagram, I am using Camera Awesome from now on :-)

20. RED
    February 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Can I open up an old photo from my photo library and edit it with Camera Awesome? Or can I only edit a photo I just took using the app?

• February 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Sure you can :) Click the grid square to show your Camera Awesome photos, then on lower right, click the + icon to see your camera roll or other photos on your iPhone. Then Awesomize away!

21. RED
    February 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm

One more issue: I have so many apps on my iphone that I can only find new apps using Search. They aren’t all on screen, in other words. When I search for Camera Awesome it shows up as Camera! NOT Camera Awesome. This is going to confuse the heck out of people. Can’t you make the app icon show up on people’s iphones as Camera Awesome instead of just Camera! ?

22. February 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Is there a way to change the default camera so when we use the new thing where you can activate the iphone camera from the lock screen it activates camera awesome instead?

• February 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I wish there was! Great suggestion for Apple, no? :D

• March 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm

If you jailbreak your iphone you can have a any app including camera awesome as the deafult button from the lockscreen.

23. February 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Rad. Any plans to add Pinterest?

• February 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Can’t say yet, we need an API from them first though :)

24. Steve
    March 1, 2012 at 9:11 am

Cracking App. Really liking it. Better than toaster which I recently grabbed.

Only issue I’m having is that I enabled automatic post processing and now cannot switch off!!

• March 1, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi, Steve! Try hitting the little pulldown menu at the top of your camera, and see if you had set automatic post-processing (fx) up there. If you did, it will be highlighted in green and you can tap the effect again to toggle it off.

• John
        March 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

I’m having the same issue and it WON’T toggle back off at the top of the secreen. Looks like a bug to me.

25. RP
    March 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Awesomize is awesome. Loveit!

I was very excited to find the feature that gives you access to the photo links after they have been uploaded so the link can be emailed, etc. My only concern is that the link generated gives access to the entire album and not the individual photo. I would love to be able to send a link to just the individual photo. Also, It is slightly misleading because you get the link from viewing the photo and each photo has an individual link that will take you directly to that photo, but once there they all give access to the entire album.

Besides that, excellent work. By far the best camera app I’ve tried so far. It hits all the marks and since I’m a SmugMug user it’s all that much better.

Thanks much!!!!

26. March 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I like this camera app. Can you add Instagram to the list of export sites? Please.Thanks.

• March 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hi Fernando and thanks for the feedback!

27. March 2, 2012 at 5:14 am

I think you’re going to blow instagram out of the water, they finally decided to go Android production as well, but to be honest, this will be better than instagram I’ll be furiously mad if its dumbed down in any way. Yes I know Android has lots of limitations and hardware (some hardware will ultimately do better/best than some others).

you may want to consider only offering this app for Android 2.3 and up, as the older versions probably have significantly less limitations but perhaps with ICS 4 that will be better (I only have 2.3 an 3.0).

28. March 2, 2012 at 7:07 am

Looking forward to an Android app as well. The ONLY thing I don’t like about my Samsung is I can’t be part of the cool kids with the mobile photos. Downloading for my iPod Touch.

29. March 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Yes, downloaded it and getting familiar with how it works. I always have my iPhone with me so this is great. Hadn’t found any photo apps that I really liked but now I have a great one that is perfect for that “moment” when I don’t have my other gear with me.

30. Bobcat
    March 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

I recently download Camera Awesome and I love the app and features. I have a couple of issues that maybe someone can help with.

1. I have the camera set to single shot but the camera continues to take pictures until I close the app or “view” the photos taken.

2. Turning sound off doesn’t work. I think this may be a regulatory issue because I have a Korean phone.

Keep up the good work!

• March 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi Bobcat, we have gotten some feedback about the volume issue and it does appear to be related to local phone regulations. However if you are still having the problems in functionality with the app, please write to us. http://help.smugmug.com/

31. Herb Morrison
    March 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

I downloaded “Awesome” and it is great. Some of the features in it I figured out how to use. However, I was wondering is there any written instructions for the program that I can down load just in case I missed something or can’t figure out how to use?

32. March 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Hey Herb, try this:

Andy Williams :
    Hi Marie, sorry there’s also this! http://smu.gs/wT08mD

33. March 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

Really like the App. It works a treat. Brings a very new process flow through into my work that extends my coverage greatly. Many thanks.

kgb

34. Hap
    March 4, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Also for intersect.com, please!

35. March 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm

It is super cool but I cannot figure out how to use it with existing photos already on the iPhone. Does it work with new photos only or am I missing a bit of more understanding?

Thanks,
    Angela

• March 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hi Angela! You can certainly add new photos from your iPhone library into the app. Hit the little grid in the upper left to bring up the photos you’ve already shot in Camera Awesome, then tough the toggle in the upper right if you’re not already in multi-photo view. You should see a little plus sign in the bottom right corner, which you can hit to add more photos.

• March 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Oh thanks Schmoo! I did not notice that before. It takes some tricks to get that on the screen though but I did get it. Thanks, Angels

36. gr
    March 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

new iphone, already a smugmug account holder. cant load this application, phone does not recognize my account sign in. help

• March 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

you don;t need to have a SmugMug account to use this app… I don;t have SmugMug account and still use this app without any problems

37. Meghan
    March 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

It’s so weird how the pros are always setting the edges of their photos on fire.

38. Eddie
    March 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love the auto archive feature. If I turn on “Archive Over Wi-Fi Only” should it upload those photos next time it connects to WiFi? I can’t seem to get it to do that. That would be a great feature to have.

Thanks!

39. John
    March 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

Why, after making in-app purchases of filters on my iPhone should I have to re-purchase the same filters on my iPad, which is on the same Apple ID/account as my phone? This is the only app I have encountered where this is the case. Everything else is a one-time buy.

• March 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

Hi John, you sure shouldn’t need to re-buy things from the same itunes account. If you click the little “Settings” icon in Camera Awesome you should see a “Restore Purchases” button. Click that and it should download all of the filters you’ve already bought.

40. Michael Levy
    March 9, 2012 at 7:55 am

There needs to be a guide published some where. All the functions are not obvious.

• March 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Michael, we have help here: http://smu.gs/wT08mD

And we’ll be doing more in future revisions to make getting started a little easier. Stay tuned!

41. Jason
    March 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hey,

So i just used this camera app for my vacation and took some really good pictures and videos that I wanted to upload to facebook. I had gotten through almost all of them when I tried uploading a video. The app crashed and now I can’t keep the app open longer than a minute. Plus, none of the buttons will respond to my touch. I don’t want to delete the app because I still have some pictures that I wanted to keep but the app is not working. Help?

42. March 14, 2012 at 7:23 am

John :

Same here.

• Camerafan
      April 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

The trick is to toggle the specific preset option, not the “fx” icon itself – ie you select “roman holiday” – toggle on; select “roman holiday” again – toggle off

• Ravy
        December 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Thx Camerafan. I had the same issue, ‘toggling the fx’. The trick worked.

43. Lizzie
    March 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love this program but I’m really pissed off that I just paid for something and I am unable to use it because and error message keeps coming up!!! If your having problems with your site you shouldn’t allow any purchasing either!! It’s very scamish and I’m extremely upset!!!!

• March 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Lizzie, this sure doesn’t sound right! Please shoot our Support Heroes an email describing what you did and what message you’re getting. We will do everything we can to help: http://help.smugmug.com/

44. Angelica
    March 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm

This app just keeps crashing after I purchased all the filters. I am so disappointed!!!! I paid for all that stuff…and now I can’t access all the pictures and videos that I have taken. LAME!

• Jack
      March 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Same here, all it does is crash after starting and I cant access any if the photos or video that I’ve taken.

• March 26, 2012 at 10:35 am

Angelica and Jack, please send our Support Heroes a message place with your issues, if it’s still happening to you. http://help.smugmug.com/ They’ll get ya fixed up!

45. Heather
    April 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

I would totally buy the full package if it didn’t look so bad on the iPad. iPad update please!!!

46. Anita
    May 11, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Angelica and Jack, your worries are probably over as Support is Awesome…for those who, like me, faced crashes every time I tried anything with Camera Awesome, here’s the super-prompt solution send to me by Sebastian:

Go to the iPhone settings app > Camera! section and enable “reset sharing accounts”.
    Then on your home screen, double tap the home button to bring up the app switcher bar at the bottom. There, hold your finger on the Camera Awesome icon until it starts wiggling. Tap the red closing icon next to it. Then press the home button again and reopen the app.
    That should allow you to just export your photo/video to the camera roll.

This worked perfectly!

Now, if only I could figure out how to deselect an fx for a shot…and how to separate exposure and focus…they seem locked together…??? Any ideas???

• May 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hi Anita, thanks so much for the vote of confidence and I’m glad you had some good info from our Heroes. :)

If your shots automatically get an effect applied, trying tapping the pulldown menu at the top of your camera screen and choose the “Fx” option. You’ll probably see that there’s one effect highlighted in green, and you can deselect it by tapping it again.

Also, if you tap with two fingers, that will separate the focus and exposure locks so you can move them independently of each other. Hope this helps.

• Greg
      September 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi Anita I have the same problem with my camera awesome on my iphone . it opens but as soon as it opens it crashes again. I can’t get to the pictures I took either. In relation to your fix from Sebastian above. I looked for two hrs through what seemed like every conceivable section of my iphone , plus surfer google to find a camera section and reset sharing. I cant find any ‘camera section’ in the iphone settings app on the iphone, cant find any ‘reset sharing’ section either. Would you mind being more specific with directions?
      Would appreciate it immensely.

47. May 19, 2012 at 11:35 pm

please, help: i’ve got a large video taken with camera awesome and i can’t export it. it’s size is 1380mb. the export function just keeps “exporting” but nothing happens (been exporting for over 24h). when iphone is connected to the computer (PC) the the video doesn’t show in the picture folder. quite frustrating. is there any way to export huge videos? thank you.

• May 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hi John, you can try the iExplorer app to view your phone’s file system and use that to download the video from your phone to your computer: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/ If you still need help, feel free to write our heroes: http://help.smugmug.com/

• Karen
        June 1, 2012 at 7:29 am

Hi all, just to ensure no one makes my mistake: follow the link schmoo provides and download the program to your computer — don’t buy the $5 app from the app store called “iExplorer!” It’s not what you’re looking for! The program schmoo suggests just runs on your computer and allows you to browse your connected iPhone.

• Deborah
        December 14, 2013 at 7:51 am

This app does not work for IPad. It still only picks up the internal storage of the IPad itself. My videos I am trying to get to camera roll (internal storage) are stuck in Camera Awesome. PLEASE HELP!

48. Angela
    May 20, 2012 at 3:28 am

How do we watch our videos with awesomize app? Cause it only plays a part of it.. Can someone tell me how can i watch complete video?

49. Stephaine
    May 25, 2012 at 5:20 am

I can’t get mine to to toggle off either!!

• Stephaine
      May 25, 2012 at 5:22 am

Never mind! Thanks and I love this app!

• May 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Stephaine and we’re glad to hear you got it to work. Enjoy!

50. nbc21485
    June 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Loved the app right up to when it became unstable. Constantly crashes. What do I do????

• July 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hi, this definitely doesn’t sound right. Could you send us the info about your phone and what steps you’re doing to cause it to crash? http://help.smugmug.com/

51. Atul Kapadia
    July 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Sharing to SmugMug or Facebook for a video (54Mb) keeps on doing it again and again without success.

52. Jay22
    July 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm

My camera won’t stay open! I open it and it’ll stay on for about 5 seconds then shut off. I’ve restarted my phone and I still don’t know what to do. How can I fix this?

• July 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

Hi Jay, you may want to try removing and re-downloading the app. If that won’t work please shoot our support heroes a ticket with your phone details and what you’ve tried: http://help.smugmug.com/

• Ken Gawkins
      August 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Why when I edit a picture taken by another camera app do you guys compress the picture do much? It even compresses the pics before editing. Bummer. They don’t uncompress when then taken to another app as one if your help guys suggested. Bummer again.

53. Colleen Robinson
    August 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm

My camera awesome won’t stay open. It shuts down after a few seconds. If I remove it, will I lose my videos and pictures? I had just taken a VERY important video of my husband accepting a plaque when he retired from the military after 29 years, I do NOT want to lose it!!!! How do I reload this without losing that video????

• August 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Colleen, ack! We understand how important that is. There is a workaround on our help pages if you need a “back door” to get to your video files. Try the iExplorer app here to access your phone’s file system. You should be able to browse and save the video to your computer that way: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

If you’re still stuck, please email us! http://help.smugmug.com/

54. Jim
    September 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I also cannot get the app to stay open for more than 2 seconds, I have done the suggested actions to no avail, the app continues to just keep crashing and I am unable to access my photos or the settings to be able to move them. I have over 2000 images that Im unable to access

• September 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

Jim, we’re sorry to hear about the trouble. If you take a look at the link above, you can try the iExplorer app to view and retrieve the files on your iPhone through a more traditional way. Then you can try deleting and re-installing the Camera Awesome app to see if that works better for you.

55. Duncan
    September 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

The app will no longer export to camera roll. I have deleted and reinstalled the app, and still will not work.

• September 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Duncan, we agree that’s not very good. Could you shoot our Support Heroes an email describing your iPhone model and any other details you’ve got? http://help.smugmug.com/

56. Alfonso Moran
    September 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I just found out that in my pictures taken with Camera Awesome, the location info is saved for photos, but NOT for video. I don’t know if it’s only me, or it’s a bug in the software. Also, the camera model shown in iPhoto says “Video”, as opposed the default iPhone camera app, which when used, it shows “iPhone 4s”

57. Alfonso Moran
    September 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Also, what’s up with iOS 6 compatibility? my wife just got the iphone 5 and the app doesn’t work with it (cannot export to camera roll, it just stays there forever and never finishes). I really like Camera Awesome, but how can I even recommend it with all this issues? Are this being updated right now. Are you even aware of this?

• September 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Alfonso, we’ve gotten a few reports of issues like this on iOS6 and we have fixes ready to go, just waiting for approval by Apple. In the meantime just go into your iPhone Settings > Privacy > Photos > Camera! and be sure the option is set to “On.” That should allow you to save things back to your camera roll.

We’ll be sure to take a look at the file info details you mentioned as well. Thanks for the heads-up!

58. Clint
    October 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

We installed camera awesome on 3 iPhones (4s) and love it. We updated all our phones to iOS6. 2 of our phones works. The third phone hangs when camera awesome tries to export to camera roll. I even restored the phone and it still hangs. Any suggestions

Thanks

• October 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Hi Clint, we noticed this happening on some folks after the update, but they should disappear as soon as our fixes are approved. In the meantime can you try this? Go into your iPhone Settings > Privacy > Photos > Camera! and be sure the option is set to “On.”

That should help you export to your camera roll again. Let us know if you still can’t get it to work! http://help.smugmug.com/

• Clint
        October 8, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yes, the privacy thing worked! Thanks for your awesome app and your great service.

• Greg
          October 9, 2012 at 12:17 am

Hi again, privacy thing didn’t work for me Camera awesome doesn’t even show up in there. Also I just bought a brand new phone , downloaded a brand new camera awesome, and it did the same thing again as it did in my old phone. Same as my last post. Opened for a few seconds then crashed. The app has no photos as it is new! So I hope this bug fix works , but it sounds like a very difficult one to solve! Good luck with it, I can’t wait until I can use your beautiful camera awesome app again!

59. Tiffany Huber
    October 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I can’t get the app to let me upload my videos to any sites or email.. It says my settings may be incorrect but I keep playing with them and it still won’t send! Can you please help? I am a musician and videos are how I promote myself

• October 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi Tiffany, can you shoot our Support Heroes an email with info about the exact steps of what you’re doing and the error message you’re getting? http://help.smugmug.com/

60. Yash
    October 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

How do we make an in-app purchase on ipad?

• October 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Yash, you can purchase different filters and presets by going into editing mode (magic wand icon). When you’re browsing the different for-purchase items, you’ll see a green shopping cart icon at the top that you can tap. Let us know if you still have issues!

• Yash
        October 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hello schmoo,

That solved my issue,thanks

61. Greg
    October 29, 2012 at 4:21 am

When will you be adding the feature to use the “+” Volume button as the capture button like the iPhone Camera app?? It’s the only thing stopping me using this app as my standard camera app.

• October 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hey Greg, unfortunately Apple doesn’t currently make it possible for apps to use the volume button as the shutter button, but we hope that you’ll still give Camera Awesome a try!

62. Sheryl
    November 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I deleted one video on camera awesome and it deleted all my videos in this app. How can I recover them?

• November 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hi Sheryl, that doesn’t sound good! Could you please shoot our Support Heroes a message with the details on what you were doing exactly? They should be able to help. http://help.smugmug.com/

63. L
    February 3, 2013 at 6:21 am

I can’t toggle off the fx button. Any advice?

• February 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hi L, you’ll need to open the fx panel, look for the preset that is highlighted in green and tap it again to toggle it off. Shoot our Support Heroes a detailed message if you need step by step instructions: http://help.smugmug.com/

• L
        February 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm

It worked. Thank you!

64. JL
    March 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

PLEASE HELP…I have been using this for a year now. I like it better than the normal camera app for the iphone but I started having a problem with it yesterday. I took a video and every time I open the video I took and try to share it either facebook or youtube the app just turns gray and exists to the main window of my iphone :( and one more thing is that the video that I took lost the sound at the end part even though the picture is still there. I was able to post a video from this app before and had no problem with it…how can I solve this problem? PLEASE HELP! thanks

• March 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hi JL, that doesn’t sound good for sure. Could you please email our Support Heroes if you haven’t already done so? They’ll be able to help you get your videos! http://help.smugmug.com/

65. MelindaB
    March 22, 2013 at 8:05 pm

On the advice of some tech article, I downloaded Camera Awesome and have been liking it. However, I used it to shoot a video tonight and there’s no audio. I’m really disappointed because the video quality is better than the other video app I have. Do I have something set wrong? Also, is it possible to zoom in while taking video?

• MelindaB
      March 22, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Oops! I figured out my problem. The phone was on silent, and since my other video app wasn’t affected by it, I didn’t think of it as being an issue. I flipped the switch and the sound is back.

• March 22, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Whew, glad to hear you got it worked out, Melinda!

• MelindaB
        March 23, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks, schmoo! I am, too! I do have another question–what is the “sounds” setting supposed to control? I turned it off and still get the shutter noise. The only way to turn it off seems to be to put my phone on silent.

• March 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Melinda, the “Sounds” setting doesn’t affect the shutter sound either, although it does adjust noises like when you add images to the trash can. Muting your phone should make the shutter sound go away entirely, at least in the USA. Just keep in mind that depending on what country you’re in, the shutter may not be able to be fully muted at all.

66. MelindaB
    March 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I had a few issues with the app tonight–several times when I started it to take a video, it wouldn’t begin recording. I would have to hit the home button and start the app again for it to record. Also, there are two videos that I took that refuse to show up–all I get is the swirling “loading” icon. It’s as if the app hung before the videos were quite finished, or if the videos are “stuck” while trying to be sent to camera roll. Is there any way to recover them? They have a duration and a size in info, but won’t play back..

67. MelindaB
    March 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks again for the reply. I did mute my phone to turn off the shutter sound, since there are times when it’s intrusive. It’s not a big deal to do so, since I usually have my phone muted at those times anyway.

68. Renae22
    April 18, 2013 at 7:44 am

I’m new to camera awesome, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I have tried using the video function several times now, and I can not seem to figure out how to stop recording once I have started. I assume you would just tap the red button (the same one used to start recording) but when I do that the camera seems to this I am trying to relocate the focus and exposure center points. I have tried locking them in place by double taping them, but it still will not allow me to end the video clip I am shooting. The only way I can end the video is to exit the app entirely, but then it does not save anything that I had recorded. Please help! I love love love this app, and I really want to figure out how to use the video correctly. Thanks!!!

• April 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

Hi Renae! You are correct and hitting the red button should toggle the video recording to stop. We have only heard a couple of reports of this but can you check to be sure that you have ample space on your phone? If you take a lot of photos or have a lot of photo apps, it’s easy to fill up the free space on your iPhone, which can cause some issues. If clearing out some space doesn’t help, please shoot our Support Heroes a message! http://help.smugmug.com/

69. JursyGurl
    April 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Is there any news on when the Android version of Awesome Camera will be available?

70. Rich
    May 11, 2013 at 11:44 am

Wait. I just took a video of my daughters choir competition and I have NO audio!! As asked by moderator we all put out phones in silent mode. I flipped my switch on the left side of my iPhone 4S. Did this turn off the microphone??? How and why?? Three songs and NO audio. Hmmm first time I tried using the app for video. Great camera app, but if I have to leave that switch on, then there’s no way we can use it at a performance.

• Rich
      May 11, 2013 at 11:45 am

Also. It will not export the video. I already tried resetting the phone as well.

71. Tomaso
    June 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm

How the heck can I just transfer all the videos and photos to my PC? I don’t want Facebook, twitter, flicker… just want to save and organize my photos on my computer. HOW?

And… how can I set up saving photos on the camera roll, not in a separate space? Having to ‘transfer to camera roll’ is a pain.

72. alejandro
    June 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This app is drive me crazy, how can I take a simple unprocessed photo adjusting the focus and exposure independently.
    I don’t want automatic filters in my photos.

Please help.

73. Jan Hood
    June 19, 2013 at 11:08 am

I am having trouble with my iPad camera lens. Is there a way to reverse the lens so you are taking a picture of yourself?

74. cat goeddey
    June 23, 2013 at 5:22 am

Is anyone else having a problem with their app freezing when it was on video mode? It WON’T go back to the normal camera mode or even register anything but the home button

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

75. June 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

good post….help full thankz ilove this site

76. June 28, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love this app but it won’t allow me to download my photos onto my camera roll on my iphone. How do I fix this problem?

77. quincydubois
    July 3, 2013 at 8:45 am

Trying to find the Awesomized stored photos in my iPhone with Windows Explorer … where might they be?

78. Wanda
    July 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I have been using the app and suddenly the app will not stay open!!! I touch on the icon it opens I touch on my recent pictures and the app closes. Is it my storage or setting what is happening! I cannot get to my pictures and videos!!!

• Erin Tey
      July 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’m having the same issue. Any luck with yours getting fixed?

79. Kelly
    July 23, 2013 at 9:05 am

I love Camera! Awesome. Like really really love it. Use it all the time. BUT since yesterday, it crashes after being open for thirty seconds or so. Help!

80. July 23, 2013 at 11:15 am

After many months of use on my iPhone 4S, Camera Awesome began crashing today (after startup, before I’m ready to tale my first picture. Everything else on the 4S is working fine. Any suggestions?

81. C
    July 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Hi there,

Camera Awesome is not so awesome at the moment – it was working well but in the last few months it seems to close itself just after it launches. What would you recommend?

Thanks

82. Dotti Singhal
    July 29, 2013 at 8:13 am

HELP! Loved using camera awesome on our recent Europe trip and made some amazing images. But in final days of trip, the app started shutting down right after opening. We could no longer take pictures of open to view earlier images. Want to fix it to use again and be sure we still have the pictures we took earlier. Thanks.

83. Dotti Singhal
    July 29, 2013 at 8:15 am

Seems this is a common problem right now! Please help!

• July 29, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi Dotti and everyone! We pushed a fix for this problem so it should be fixed now. Can you try rebooting your phone, and write to our Support Heroes if you are still having trouble? http://help.smugmug.com/

84. Mike
    August 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This app sucks big time. Half the time, it won’t save a finished image to the iPhone5’s camera roll. I paid for the additional filters and apps and it won’t apply them. It’s slow. There’s no tutorial. It looks like fun, but if you’re a serious photographer, it’s a joke. If you want to use it, use the free stuff, don’t waste your money on the extra filters, textures, and frames.

• mike
      August 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Who would be using a smartphone app with trick filters for “serious” photography? Save your Starbucks $$ and get a real camera.

• Mike
        August 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Kiss my ass, troll.

85. Mike
    August 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I’m deleting this app from my iPhone5. The toolbar at the bottom has disappeared. Can’t change the composition setting back to default. This has turned into the app from hell. Adios, Camera Awesome. Oh, and keep the money I paid for all the additional filters, textures, and frames. Buy yourselves a couple of beers with it or something.

86. mike
    August 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

As expected.

87. Vicki
    August 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

HELP please!! My awesome app keeps shutting down and I have a video on there I just cannot loose… Any suggestions?

88. Stephen1981
    August 27, 2013 at 6:25 am

I tried rebooting the phone camera awesome still crashes after trying to take a picture. I love this app and just want to use it again especially with the new features that I haven’t been able to test out yet

89. Yogi
    September 4, 2013 at 1:24 am

Hi,

Love your app and took advantage of your HUGE discount to buy all the packs … :)

3 questions that keep boggling me:

1) When Choosing FIlters / Presets – sometimes I get a “thumbnail grid” view with little previews of each filter, and sometimes I just get the name of the filter in a box at the lower part of the screen with a “full screen” preview of that preset/filter … and sometimes there is also a “catagory” bar that lets me choose which preset/filter bundle (e.g. portrait, etc …)
    —How do I switch between these views ???

2) Is there a quick way to audition the postFX/preFX picture (by toggling the effects on/off or split-screen view) ? That would be AWESOME! ;)

3) Last but not least – why do I need to have duplicates on my photos which I want to edit with Camera awesome (Why do I neet to import photos from my gallery into the Smugmug gallery ? (creating an additional copy)?

Thanks !
    Yogi

P.S.
    I didn’t know about your website design business – will give that a look as well … (Any big discounts on that too? ;)

• September 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hi Yogi and thanks for the feedback! We have gotten a lot of great suggestions over the course of the last year and we’d love to make all of them happen.

As for SmugMug the website, you can open a trial account through the app, and we’ll automatically apply a discount towards your first year. Let us know if you have any questions or problems! http://help.smugmug.com/

90. Feros
    September 10, 2013 at 2:52 am

hi,

the option for “Archive Over Wi-Fi Only” on my phone is turned off and cant be turned on , so everytime i make changes to my photos , i cant save them and it says you need internet juice .im connected to internet via wifi , how can i turn on “Archive Over Wi-Fi Only” .
    thanks in advance.

91. September 18, 2013 at 12:25 am

I upgraded to the full set of filters on my iphone 5, but had to replace the device as the power button was faulty. Please advise how I can restore the in-App purchase. Love the App – my default camera.

• September 18, 2013 at 12:34 am

Sorry – just seen previous advice – done!

92. Randy
    September 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

How do I turn the fx off on my iPad? Great camera app by the way!

93. Yogev
    September 23, 2013 at 4:34 am

BTW (I love your app, bought all the filters … ) I have been experimenting with several photo editors – and I have to say – I love your filters – but they are a bit harsh (if not totally over the top in some cases) …

I think a “FIlter amount” option will take your app to the top level and make your filters much more useable ….

94. October 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

hi, how can i get rid of the presets being applied automatically to my photos? cheers

• October 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Hi Christine! If you fire up the app and tap the “Fx” at the top of the camera screen, you can then deselect the effect that is highlighted in green. That should take you back to the default.

95. Ursula
    October 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Since my ios& update I now lost sound to my videos…everything is turned on!! Help!

• October 18, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Hi all, there’s a new version of Camera Awesome available now in the App Store which should fix the microphone issues that some of you have seen. Let us know if you still have issues!

• Yogi
        October 19, 2013 at 12:59 am

Hi,

Any chance you can roll out a new version with the option to adjust the strength of the applied filters ..? They are a bit to harsh – and this can REALLY help…

96. toni
    October 12, 2013 at 2:54 am

I used my Awesome with previous IOS. Once I download IOS 7, I can not record sounds on video recording

• Jay Z
      January 7, 2014 at 11:39 am

No sound here either and it says I am up to date

97. Melodee
    October 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I, too, have lost sound in my videos.

98. Randy Burleson
    October 18, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I Shot a short video with Awesome Camera! and now everytime I try to open Awesome Camera it crashes and I can’t get to my pics or video.
    It doesnt seem to save the pics in the same place that my other camera apps do on my iPhone. How can I get it to stop crashing and let me open the app up?

• Deborah
      December 14, 2013 at 7:44 am

I am having the same issue – took a recital video of my daughter that is 3 min long, and cant get it to camera roll. App wont stay open for more than 2 seconds. I am open to deleting the app and reinstalling it, but I CANT lose this video. HELP – (Im using IPad3 btw)

• December 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hi Deborah! Yikes, we definitely need to get that video safely off your iPad! I see that you’ve written our Support Heroes and they’re in the process of helping you, but we haven’t heard back from you since yesterday. Can you check the amount of free space that you’ve got on your iPad and reply back to them if that still doesn’t allow you to save it back to your Library?

99. Jon
    January 18, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Dear SmugMug,

I have the same problem as Deborah…important video, recorded, reviewed, went to upload to facebook and “poof”, the app crashes constantly.

• February 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hi Jon, sorry about the delay but we hope that you’ve contact our Support Heroes to get this resolved! Are you still having this issue with the crash?

100. Maggie
    February 9, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I have Camera Awesome on my IPad but do not have a focus square. Any advice?

• February 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hi Maggie! What happens when you tap the screen with two fingers? That should bring up the focus and exposure lock icons. If you’re still having trouble focusing and taking photos, please send a message to our Support Heroes: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

101. Jessica
    March 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

When I initially installed Camera Awesome it asked for permission to my microphone and I accidentally said no. Now I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change it to yes.

• March 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Jessica! Look under your iPhone’s general Settings > Privacy > Microphone options. You should see a switch there for Camera! so you can toggle that on.

102. April 7, 2014 at 7:48 am

I dropped my phone in water and it is dead. Is there ANY way to get the pictures that were saved in the Camera Awesome app? They are all from my daughter’s Make a Wish trip. Thanks.

• April 7, 2014 at 10:35 am

Oh no, Heather! We’re sorry to hear that, and recommend making sure that your phone is powered off and let it dry out completely for a few days. It may turn back on just fine after that, in which case you can retrieve your files as usual. Unfortunately if you phone is completely dead, photos you have not yet saved to your camera roll won’t get backed up to your computer. But please let us know how it turns out and if you were able to get your daughter’s photos back!

PS. One of our Support Heroes says he swears by the Lifephone nüüd iPhone case. It may be worth a look. :)

• Yogi
      April 7, 2014 at 10:45 am

There’s an urban legend that putting it (and covering it) in uncooked rice helps absorb the moisture …. It probably wont hurt …

103. Amy
    June 26, 2014 at 6:16 am

Hi. I love this app and use it all the time. Sadly, my daughter had my phone and the app and all of my photos got erased. I have reloaded the app and no pics. :(
    Any idea?
    Thanks,
    Amy

• June 26, 2014 at 10:35 am

Hi Amy, did you have to delete the app and reinstall it If so, that unfortunately means that the photos in it were deleted as well. If she shared photos from it to other sites, or if you had them automatically archive them to SmugMug or save to your iPhone Library, then they should be there, but I’m sorry to say that the content in the app itself is gone if the app was removed. But please reach out to our Support Heroes if you want us to get more info from you to be sure: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

104. Crystal
    June 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

What does reset sharing accounts mean? And why does my app keep closing on me?

105. Tim
    July 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm

How do I transfer all the CA photos from my phone to the PC?

• September 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

Hi Tim, you can always save your Camera Awesome photos to your camera roll, then the next time you plug in your phone they should back up to whatever program you use to back up your mobile photos. Alternatively, you can try the app that we’ve recommended above that will allow you to view all of the files on your phone so you can save them:

Please contact our Support Heroes if you have other questions!

106. J Jill Heatley
    July 12, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I recently had my iphone malfunction…and had to get a replacement…while my iphone photos are there..or backed up based on photostream,.my awesomized photos (which were way better) are not….are they gone forever?? Thanks for the info…

• September 16, 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi Jill, we’re so sorry to hear about the phone trouble, but are glad that you have something to replace it! If your photos were saved automatically to your camera’s library, then they would have been backed up when you plugged your phone into your computer, but otherwise then I’m afraid they would have been gone. Hopefully by now you’ve taken lots more photos without missing a beat!

107. September 16, 2014 at 9:23 am

The video recording does not capture sound. Is there a way to turn on sound recording or is it only capable of producing silent movies?

• September 16, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hi Megan, hmm the app should certainly be recording video, so can you shoot our Support Heroes a message? If possible, please include info about your phone and we’ll be able to walk you through troubleshooting settings to get it to work. Talk soon!

• September 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

I have the same problems on my new iPar air and on my old iPad retina (3gen) since the fall of 2013. My IOS is in french…

108. Kurt jefferson macacando
    September 29, 2014 at 1:44 am

Hi Don macAskill..
    I really need your help.. Im a big fun for camera awesome im using it for almost 2 years.. Can i retrieve my pictures stored in there, i accidentally uninstalled the application.. And i need the pictures badly, for my wedding photo and video.. My soon to be wife doesnt know that, yet.. Could you help me?
    All our memories, pictures that weve taken in different places..

Thank you!
    Kurt

• Ann SmugMug Educator
      September 29, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hi Kurt

I’m so sorry to hear that you may have lost your images. Our heroes suggest giving this app a try: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/
      While there is no guarantee it will recover the images for you, it is definitely worth a try.
      I sure hope it helps!

EDIT – Hi again Kurt – I’ve just learned that you might also find the photos by doing a restore of your phone from a backup, particularly an iTunes backup.

(fingers crossed for you)

109. October 7, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I have purchased the whole awesomize package done time ago and now I’m on my iPad trying to restore purchases and it freezes every single time I try to restore. What is going on? I’d like to have access to what I paid for

• October 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi Rainey, that doesn’t sound good! Can you please shoot our Support Heroes a quick message with your iPad model and OS version, and any other details about the problem so they can troubleshoot and help you get at your filters? Talk soon!

110. October 31, 2014 at 10:38 pm

First of all, I’d like to thank you guys for this wonderful app and Ive been using it for almost two years now. :)

Just attended an awesome concert last night and took some vids of their performance. I found out that the vids werent automatically exported to my camera roll unlike before. I tried clicking the icon “export to camera roll” and said it did though it still wasnt in my camera roll. :( any way for me to save the vids? Found out the file was a bit big. :(

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks guys!

• November 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

Hi Sidney! If the video is still in Camera Awesome (as it sounds like it is), you may want to try the iExplorer app, which is a third party app that gives you a folder-by-folder view of the content on your phone. Lots of folks have had success with this, so give it a look:

And of course, feel free to ping our Support Heroes if you need more help getting that video back. Hope you had a great time at the show, regardless!

111. November 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

I need directions on how to get volume on the app video mode Thank you !

1. February 29, 2012 at 7:14 am