Home > new features, release notes, SmugMug > Camera Awesome for iPad Opens a Whole New Window to Your World

Camera Awesome for iPad Opens a Whole New Window to Your World

When we designed Camera Awesome for the iPhone, we wanted to do something equally extraordinary for the iPad without making it feel like a giant, awkward camera.

We know what you’re thinking. We thought it, too: Taking pictures with an iPad? I’d never chase my kids around with a computer!

But the more we talked to people, the more we kept hearing that shooting through the big, hi-res screen was a profoundly surreal experience. It may seem funny at first, but we kept hearing how much better your pictures turn out when you can actually see what you’re shooting, without squinting or pinching the screen.

Plus, your “wow” moment is so much bigger when you show off what you shot on that ginormous iPad screen.

In short: Don’t knock it ’til you try it!

Is it just like the iPhone version?

Camera Awesome for iPad lets you use the same great shooting features, modes and filters that you already know and love on your iPhone. It takes full advantage of your device’s hi-res display and offers a bigger, cleaner interface with large previews, better framing and easier editing.

It’s also one of the most powerful camera apps out there for the iPad, giving you basic and advanced shooting features, detailed photo info and solid editing tools.

And of course, we’ve maximized the viewing area so it’s just that: A huge, magical window into another world. Yours.

What does it do for me?

Camera Awesome is perfect for anyone who loves to capture their favorite moments and share them with friends.

• Use it straight up to snap everyday great photos, every time.
  • Go high-octane with 9 fps burst mode, video precording,  a horizon level and tons more.
  • Perfect your images with our library of gorgeous filters.
  • Post your work to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.

A SmugMug account isn’t required, but with it you’ll get a safe place to archive all of your Camera Awesome photos, no matter how much you love to shoot.

So if you haven’t already tried it, you’ve got to see why more than 7 million users shot over 150 million photos since we launched it 7 months ago. Here’s just a few on SmugMug.

How do I get it?

Get Camera Awesome from the App Store or Awesomize.com now. As always, it’s completely free. And it comes pre-loaded with 36 beautiful, full-resolution effects and filters that let you create 729 unique looks.

Want more? Buy additional sets for $0.99, categories for $3.99 or grab the whole shebang (all effects available now and forever) for $9.99. That’s 262,143 possible combinations, right at your fingertips. Yeow.

But I’ve already bought filters on the iPhone!

Camera Awesome knows that it’s you on a different device, so you don’t have to buy them again. Just restore your purchases in the app settings on your iPad and go to town.

Enjoy awesomizing your photos in large format!

1. Rob
    October 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

Any hope for an Android version?

2. Robin
    October 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

Whoa. This is awesome! I am soo glad that you’ve raised the subscription fees to fund this free app!

3. October 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

Based on my research, SM fees are inline with other comparable services. I’m not defending the price hike, just saying that you can’t get the same service for less somewhere else.

The only thing I’d like to see is for SM to make the customization easier for those of us who are CSS challenged.

As far as camera awesome goes, I really like the app and sprung for the $10 in app features.

• October 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi Eddie, we hear you on the customization issue and know that not everyone is a coder at heart. Thanks for your feedback!

4. October 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Restore purchases is not working for me…

5. October 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Problem solved…

6. October 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Love Camera awesome, one bug for me tho… everytime i open it and go into my camera roll, it crashes- everytime! just stuck with taking new pics for now….

• October 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Mike, that’s definitely not right. Can you try these two things to kickstart the app?

1) Open your device’s Settings and scroll down to the Camera! app, then toggle Reset Sharing Accounts to on.

2) Double click the home button to bring up your open apps at the bottom of the screen,tpa and hold down the Camera Awesome app, then hit the minus to close it.

Please let our heroes know if you still have crash issues after trying those: http://help.smugmug.com/

7. October 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Just updated to the iphone 5 will keep you posted, but so far so good….

8. steve caturan
    October 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

is there any chance WebDAV support will be added in the near future as a Share target? (as i run my own Gallery2 site) – even as an in-app purchase feature?

9. October 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Can you please tell me where to restore purchases

10. October 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Rob :
    Any hope for an Android version?

I second, 3rd, 4th, and 5th this!

Your SmugMug android browser app is quit good, but there is a serious lack of good Android cameras. Make it so Smuggy!

11. October 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

Same here. Love to see the Android version please. Can you give us a update? Lots of us paying Smugmug users use Android. Thank you!

12. October 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm

So smugmug doesn’t love Android? What’s is the deal smug?

13. John Bergsagel
    October 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I am a heavy usesr of SM and Camera Awesome. I would love to be able to take the pictures on my iPhone but then do the awesomizing on my iPad in a seamless, too easy to believe way (i.e no manual syncing, etc.)

14. GScoville
    October 17, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Android pleeeaaaaassse!!!!!!!! When???

15. October 18, 2012 at 5:43 am

So many Android versions, so little time… :(

16. Judith
    October 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

I downloaded Awsome for my Ipad, but would love some help files for it. Are there any?

17. Judith
    October 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Thank you for your answer, schmoo. I did find a little help online, but I have it stuck in a brown type mode, and don’t know how I did it, so don’t know how to get out of it yet..lol. I’ll keep looking, and hopefully “tap” my way out of it.

1. November 13, 2012 at 11:26 am