Home > business, new features, release notes, Sales, SmugMug > New for Portfolio Accounts: Price and Sell

New for Portfolio Accounts: Price and Sell

Dear Pros,

This post is a result of the passionate feedback many of you gave us after our pricing change—and some incredibly moving stories we heard about your photography.

It’s been two months since we created two Pro accounts, Portfolio and Business, where once there was one. The main difference between them was the ability to price & sell.

Today we’re adding the ability to price & sell to Portfolio accounts. This account level is designed for up-and-coming photographers on a budget who don’t need the features higher-volume Pros use, but who want a gorgeous site, protected images, and the ability to earn profit through our Pro print labs.

Portfolio accounts include:

Business accounts include:

You can find a complete list of differences between the accounts on our updated features page.

As we mentioned two months ago, storage is one of the big drivers behind our decision to split Pro accounts.  When we dug into the data, it became clear that heavy storage usage was highly correlated with accounts using advanced Business features, including multiple Pricelists.  We also heard great feedback that you needed better visibility about how much storage you’re using, and what you can do about it.  We’ve taken that feedback to heart and will provide better tools in the future.

Two months ago we announced that renewals at the new rates would begin October 15th.  Many Pros have noticed, however, that we’re still renewing at the old rates.  That’s because we didn’t want anyone to renew at the Business rate if they would have been a better fit with Portfolio after this change.  With this change, renewals at the new rates will begin early Saturday morning.

Our price change was honestly scary and emotional. Two months later, we’re relieved that it’s providing us the ability to invest more in engineering because sales are up. We are gratified by the support we’ve received from so many of you and hope that this change will offer wonderful up-and-coming photographers a chance to pursue their passion.

We’ll continue to listen to your feedback and adjust our account levels accordingly, so keep it coming.

All the best,
Chris & Don MacAskill
Founders, photographers, regular guys

1. November 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Tissues…Tissues….God bless you Smugmug….worth staying now as I just changed to Portfolio.

2. Melissa
    November 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I’m confused regarding the price lists. As a Portfolio user, am I still able to have a price list for a family gallery, another price list for fine art, and another for weddings? It sounds as if this is only a business option and although having multiple price lists is important to my business, it is not worth paying an additional $150 a year for.

• November 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Melissa – you can have multiple price lists in your account, but with Portfolio account, you can only have one active list at a time for your customers.

3. Bob Schatzman
    November 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I just read how the Amazon cloud you folks use dropped their prices again, down tremendously in the past few years based on storage cost reductions and obviously competition. I have to be honest, I like Smugmug but I left Netflix on principle and after looking at Zenfolio I am tempted to leave your service when it is renewal time too. Zen has a compelling offering and price points and didn’t whip the bird to their customers.

• Chris MacAskill
      November 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Bob, honestly, we just got an enormous price hike from them because they have to charge California sales tax now, which they didn’t before.

• Bob Schatzman
        November 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. I will be taking a look around and will see what is a good fit before I choose next spring.

You guys have been great, but this does make me want to revisit my needs.

My sympathies on California and taxes. I sincerely wish you a miracle to solve the budget woes out there.

Best wishes,
        Bob

4. November 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I used Zenfolio for a month and only got TWO visits to my site. Not worth it if you ask me.

5. Jared
    November 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Great to see this long overdue response. However, $150 ($100 if grandfathered) just to have multiple pricelists????

One of those other features I’d like to use but I won’t, cuz it opens up my unlisted galleries to those that should not be able to view them.

How about adding more gallery levels to the top tier? That I’d pay for, not to mention, it’s more likely that the top tier account users will need more levels and won’t get as lazy as some users in creating a hierarchy for their site.

6. November 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm

thank you! i was regretfully going to cancel because I don’t make enough money in sales for the business plan to make sense for me. the new portfolio plan is perfect for me. thank you for listening.

7. November 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Better, but I still don’t see that the features in the $300 package cost you any more money to offer and they help us sell more, you get a % off every sale so why don’t you want us to sell more? Your cost is storage and bandwidth so make that a restriction that the $300 one unlocks.

I may have considered this Portfolio package if you had announced that with the initial price change, but I got a reduced price year of zenfolio right after your price announcement and jumped on it… I loved your service and I’m sorry to go but I’m not paying twice as much for less features when I barely take up any space and bandwidth with the handful of sessions that I do each year for friends and family with my account.

8. November 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Thank you! This is a good change. As much as I would like to be able to set prices per gallery in my Portfolio account, I understand that you have to have some premium features to make the Business account worthwhile. This goes a long way to addressing my unhappiness with the previous announcement.

However, I think the reality on the ground is that what really costs SmugMug money is (1) storage and (2) network bandwidth, not the features you’re reserving for the Business level. I think you really ought to look at charging extra for (A) uploading more than some fixed quota of images per month, (B) uploading images larger than 25 MP or at unreasonably high JPEG quality levels, (C) uploading videos. The customers who use the most of what SmugMug has to pay for ought to pay to support their usage.

• November 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Let me just say that neither bandwidth nor videos are major costs (at this time, or during SmugMug’s 10-year lifetime) for us. You nailed it with #1, though – photo storage is. So far, our customers have been telling us that unlimited storage is a very important feature, but the tide seems to be slowly turning. If it does, we’d certainly listen. Thanks again.

• Kevin
        November 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

How about providing a “Business Limited” option then? All the features of the Business account, priced the same as the Portfolio, but limited in the amount of storage you can use.

9. November 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’m really hoping for better gallery management tools soon. Fact is, I don’t want to keep up my galleries forever. No benefit for me to do so. But it is such a pain to delete them, one by one and having to then say yes I really do want to delete it that I avoid it. I would probably be using half the space I do if this was easier. I prefer to give people time limits to place orders. And I don’t want to store all my stuff there. How many other pro photographers are like me? With the management tools currently in place, you’ve created a vicious scene where I keep going up in storage for the wrong reason. I’ve been saying this now for at least at least a couple of years with no prospect of improvement.

• November 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks so much for mentioning this. We didn’t get into details in the blog post, but these are exactly the sorts of tools we’ve been hearing about from customers like you over the last two months. We’re going to work on them next year, I promise. Thanks again.

10. Mark
    November 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

A single active price list is hardly “easy” commerce.

This was a really promising announcement, but with such a bogus artificial restriction in place it turns out to be halfhearted at best.

I guess I don’t need to wait any longer to start looking for alternatives, I’m sure this is as far as SM will push the Portfolio level into commerce.

11. Chuc
    November 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yeah! Thanks for listening and for having a reasonable offering for the up and coming photographer

12. November 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Good news and thank you! I guess it’s inevitable that the majority of posts with be from people with an axe to grind but I’m sure there will be a lot of very happy customers out there, including me:)

13. November 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I have no intentions of renewing. Too little too late. After all, there re many other and jut as good if not better services out there.
    This price increase happened a month after I signed up and wanted to cancel the whole service, but couldn’t. I am not going to bother investing time and efforts and will setup elsewhere.

• November 9, 2012 at 12:37 am

Actually Reza there are not many others out there. Yes there are different and at different pricing structures but the choice is limited and I still believe SmugMug offers a great package despite being frustrated waiting for the new, improved version:)

• November 30, 2012 at 6:25 am

I have to say that your going to struggle to find anything as competitive and as good as Smugmug. I did 12 months market research on the top ten hosting sites and every survey i did the data pointed to smugmug every time. You have the option of choosing the account that best reflects your business type, for me the portfolio is perfect im new to business so i set site wide pricing for all my images that still brings in a decent profit once i start to sell, i dont need a business account as i dont yet have the client base to make a decent return from it. Im doing photography part time and for now its a good option for me. You have to take everything in to balance and for $20 a month you cant say thats unaffordable.

• Kevin
        November 30, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks

14. November 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Great news. Just started on Smugmug and I have just begun to upload pictures so I wasnt ready to get the big package and the Portfolio didn’t just feed my need, but now Portfolio is just the right choice for me, so I will soon be upgrading to Portfolio from power user. I think it is important to keep the unlimited storage options and that you are keeping the original files as it was one of the main reason I choose your company. Keep up the good work

15. November 9, 2012 at 4:22 am

YEA!!! Thank you. My account wasn’t up for renewal til next year, but I was going to have to drop down to ‘power’ simply because I’m not a professional and sales for what is my hobby wouldn’t justify the new ‘pro’ level account expense. New portfolio level is perfect for me.

When I made a switch from PBase to SmugMug years ago, it was painful. Moving over galleries, making links from PBase to SmugMug galleries so people knew where I had gone, updating old forum posts which had photos sourced from my galleries to link to the new ones, getting people used to where my new “home” was. That was super painful, so I wasn’t going to switch again. But I’m glad I don’t have to drop all the way to ‘power’ because the old ‘portfolio’ vs ‘power’ wasn’t worth the price differential to me without profit potential.

Thank you.

16. Sven
    November 9, 2012 at 4:40 am

Too late SmugMug, I had closed my account (after the price increase) …

17. November 9, 2012 at 4:50 am

Thank you… As a hobbyist who sells purely for charity-donation purposes (18-month “profits” that I wholly donated are under $1000), this means I can stay with SmugMug. Thank you for listening and reacting. I am sure you will be slammed with “What took you so long?” comments both here and on dgrin, but please know that I for one a) appreciate the new structure (which looks completely reasonable), and b) understand how hard course corrections can be.

18. November 9, 2012 at 5:21 am

You guys truly are a customer-driven company and one that I will continue to spend my hard earned money on! Bravo Smugmug, bravo!

19. Ann
    November 9, 2012 at 5:46 am

Too little, too late – as said before. If you had responded quicker to the logic and feedback I would still be here. I just wonder how many annoyed cutomers of Smugmug have either moved elsewhere and/or downgraded.

20. November 9, 2012 at 5:51 am

You have NO idea how happy this makes me! I love my SM website but it was going to be hard to justify the price increase without the sales to back it up. Add this to the list of why I chose Smugmug in the first place.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

21. November 9, 2012 at 5:53 am

Wow! You have made the portfolio level almost perfect for me! Now I can stay with SmugMug (like I wanted to) and be 100% confident that I made the right choice. Thank you 100 times for listening to your customers and responding with an alternative that is fair and worth every penny. I applaud your efforts and commitment. Thank you.

22. T Wayne Grimes
    November 9, 2012 at 6:01 am

So, now instead of raising rates $100 per year for the pro accounts, you are raising them $150 per year? How is this better – or did I miss something?

Take care!!

T Wayne Grimes

TeeWayne Photography

TeeWayne Photography on Facebook (Like me?? )

Member Professional Photographers of America

919-272-4574

• November 9, 2012 at 7:03 am

Sorry for the confusion, T Wayne. The prices for the different accounts are staying the same. Since you are a renewing member it would be $150/year for the Portfolio or $250/year for the Business plan. What we did here is we added the ability to sell for a profit on the Portfolio plan. Please email the support heroes if you have more specific questions :).

-Zac
      SmugMug Support Hero

23. November 9, 2012 at 6:09 am

So – here’s a true story (mine).

My SmugMug account was due for renewal *before* the new price hikes would have taken effect, so in effect, I could have gotten a year longer with my old pricing. Instead of sticking around, I rolled the dice and switched to Zenfolio.

The events system and visitor registration system that they have is dramatically improved over the SmugMug system – and I’m able to email and contact people who have pre-registered for galleries directly. And schedule the emails. And template them. My 5k race sales have jumped 50%.

Shooting portraits for folks, i’ve been able to take their Zen ToGo application on my iPad, download the entire gallery, put it in guest mode, and allow folks to browse their galleries in offline, retina display goodness, mark the photos they want – and as a result I closed my largest sale ever. Directly because of this. By largest, I mean 600% larger than the biggest Smug sale ever.

I’m getting all this at a price cheaper than my Smug renewal would have been, prior to the price hike.

Sure, they haven’t got quite as good a handling for Video, and I do very occasionally run into a tool or two Smug had and they don’t, and I do miss metal prints – but none of that comes close to being a problem in the face of massively increased customer communications, massively increased customer retention – oh, and I’m saving money too.

too little, too late. Sorry smug.

24. November 9, 2012 at 6:50 am

When you announced an increase from $150 to $250, I was very disappointed. I don’t make much money, but I need full functions including pricelists. Some work I do is for students and others are full price. Is this the way you announce an ADDITIONAL increase to $300? Not very customer friendly.

• November 9, 2012 at 7:01 am

Sorry for the confusion, Robert. We are not raising the price again. We have just added the ability for Portfolio users to have a pricelist and sell for a profit. The $300 price you see is for brand new members that are just signing up for the Business plan.
      -Zac
      SmugMug Support Hero

25. November 9, 2012 at 6:52 am

I was disappointed with the price change and confused since obviously SMugmug makes money on sales. It seems important to encourage sales!

I’m also pleased that you continue to offer unlimited storage –
    Glad you are listening to customers – although in retrospect, it seems like the cart came before the horse – since customer demand should more actively dictate major changes.

26. November 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

I just renewed my subscription in October which grandfathered me from the initial price restructure that you said would occur in 2013. My question is, will this Portfolio plan be available next October at said prices, and if not, can I lock in now for an additional year on top of my renewed subscription?

27. Paul
    November 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

I don’t think this is good enough and I don’t think you’ve thought it through. I don’t believe a lot of the features of the business plan (multiple pricelists, coupons, events) cost you any extra to implement, so I don’t believe your clients should be charged more for them.

If the issue is storage used by your more active accounts, then the obvious solution for you is to make more money from customers who use more storage. The fairest way is for SM to take a larger cut of print sales based on storage used.

That would take a bit more transparency on the amount of storage used by each account, but otherwise would be relatively easy to implement.

Personally, I think you’re just tinkering with what is still a bad idea. The whole Portfolio/Business thing should be scrapped and a new solution found.

28. November 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

:)) I’m so glad that I finally is a “up-and-coming photographer” I am 64 years old and has in the last 40 years bin raising a family on the illusion that I was a Pro, please don’t tell them! :)

29. November 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Too little, too late. I applaud you for (finally) listening to the consumers and changing your pricing. However, I, (like many others I’m sure) have already made the jump to Zenfolio and paid for a membership there. Unfortunately, I will not be renewing my SmugMug account. I agree with the person who said that if your costs are in storage and bandwidth, maybe limit those for the less-expensive packages, and make unlimited a “premium” feature. Those who need more bandwidth and storage will pay for it, while those of us who don’t need as much won’t have to pay for premium features we don’t use.

30. November 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

YOU GUYS ROCK!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! I feel bad for those that already moved.

31. November 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

I really like SM, and appreciate the gesture with this portfolio pricing. The recent price hike didn’t really bother me either. But, unfortunately, I recently had to downgrade my pro package due to the licensing limitations here. Basically, if you sell on SmugMug you can’t sell Rights-Managed content on any other major macrostock site (Alamy, Getty, Keystone, etc). If you are doing so then you are likely in breach of contract with them, since by selling on SM you are essentially selling Royalty Free (and you legally can’t sell the same image on the internet under different licenses).
    In the end the lack of a RM pricing system was a deal-breaker and I decided to move my portfolio to another service. Just thought you should know.

• November 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Ted- this was one of my concerns also as Smug breaches my terms of supply with V8 SuperTourers and their website here in NZ.
      Glenn

• November 24, 2012 at 6:11 am

I, too, would like to see a rights managed price list added. Blogging also.

32. laphoto
    November 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

My renewal as ups in october and you have already billed me so what status will I be at after Saturday??

Thanks

Lee Ann Hare

laPHOTO

33. November 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thank you for listening, and I will be remaining with Smugmug. Taking away my hope was a deal breaker, but allowing me atleast the one pricelist makes me content.

34. November 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Some good news, thanks for listening and taking action.

35. November 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Too bad nothing was said that my account would have been renewed at the old price (October 20th renewal) even after multiple contacts with support about the renewal. I would have stayed. Instead I had to move my account to a competitor.

36. November 10, 2012 at 5:05 am

Whilst my renewal is quite a way off yet, this Portfolio setup does seem to fit better with what I need, thank you. I only use 1 price list anyway and really dont generate masses of print sales.
    However, am I reading the difference correct that with the Portfolio subscription prints can not be delivered direct to the client, this is only available in the Business account

• Ann, SmugMug Support
      November 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi Alan – the portfolio account does indeed deliver prints directly to the client. Business accounts have a personal delivery tool that delivers client orders to the photog, who then ‘personally delivers’ the prints to the client. Hope that clears things up for you.

37. November 10, 2012 at 8:00 am

Yay! This is perfect! Just what I needed. THANK YOU!

38. Mark
    November 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

THANK YOU Smugmug!!! Not going to lie. I was going to dump you until I read this. I will now remain a loyal customer until you decide to try something like this again. You have a GREAT thing going. Don’t screw it up by trying to become a Google or Microsoft.

39. Chris
    November 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

What’s most disconcerting about all this is that the whole time, even in one-on-one conversations with support members, SM has maintained a sense of “we’re really, really sorry about raising prices, we reached a point where it *had* to be done”. And now, all of a sudden, it doesn’t have to be done. If the economics of this service were really so bad, this backtracking would not have been possible. I feel like all that can be taken away from this is “we thought we could get $X when we only really needed $Y. Oops, we can’t actually get people to pay X”. I have to either assume the old new pricing was a money grab, or I have to be worried that the new new pricing may put SM in danger of not being able to provide a good product.

If the issue really is storage prices, this whole pricing-to-feature-correlation strategy is going to make it hard for me to stick around next year. Rather that say *most* people that use multiple pricing lists use a lot of storage, so *all* users that want pricing lists need to pay more, why not just give everyone at $150/yr multiple pricing lists, and make the ones that need more storage pay the extra $150 you’re now basically admitting that costs? It’s silly that, as someone who wants the lists but doesn’t need a lot of storage, I now know I’m basically subsidizing heavy users’ extra operating costs.

• November 14, 2012 at 6:47 am

I completely agree with the multiple price lists being only for business users. I was going to get the Portfolio package but with only having ONE price list, I need to explore other options. With a brilliant company like SmugMug is, you guys really goofed on this one. Bummer, I was looking to join today…

40. November 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thank you, Smugmug, for listening to your customers. Though I will miss the Business facilities I have enjoyed since joining, it is a sensible move under the circumstances and a huge relief for those who felt badly let down by your initial pricing announcement. You have begun to restore my faith in your company and I will now rethink my plan to leave for pastures new when my account comes up for renewal. You’ve shown that you’re big enough to admit that you were wrong. That deserves respect.

41. November 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Total frustration here for me smug! Had value with the old PRO account and would not have minded paying for storage over a certain data point to retain archives and manage my storage needs. Downloads and Pro Prints esp Bay Photo were great options. Different gallery pricing options was great.
    My shutterspeed Branding during client shopping cart experiences is essential for client confidence (being an International transaction)- seeing smugmug’s logo pop up created elements of doubt funds were about to be misappropriated for some of my clients. Branding visibility and consistency was very important to shutterspeed as was watermarking with my branding.
    You have stripped the value and functionality of the pro $150 account to a “power” level in my opinion and still expect $150! You are adding a sales option to portfolio now which adds 15% to your revenue and limits me to one price schedule- where is the value?
    shutterspeed is my business and needs a web host- not a business manager. I don’t need to tie up a $600 US retainer of my coin for you to earn interest on it and have you take 15% on my sales just for the benefit? of one sales price schedule.
    Few of the features you have added benefit NZ accounts and now postage has become prohibitive from the US. Show me what value you offer.
    I can manage sales from my local pro lab and sell images on CD without smug controlling my business strings. I have started to rebrand shutterspeed for CD commerce after your price increase- do you expect me to re-edit all the changes now for one gallery price point? Maybe the way forward is to downsize to “power” to preserve online search integrity and take back control of my business management. I can’t afford your business management style of surprise increases and lost features. Keep it simple and make users pay.
    Just sayin’

42. Rick H
    November 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for making the change, but I already downgraded to Power level since my renewal date happened just a few days ago, and I wasn’t able to justify the costs going forward. I agree though, have a better gallery/portfolio management system where it’s easier to manage my space, and I think you might see people using the tool, hopefully helping reduce your overhead with space constraints.

43. November 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Already left for ZenFolio, and I really, really prefer their image management over SM. Glad you changed your minds, but sadly, it’s too late for me. I’ve seen the other side, and I like it much better there.

44. Robert Aldana
    November 14, 2012 at 6:50 am

Really disappointed. I completely agree with the complaints about multiple price lists being only for business users. I was going to get the Portfolio package but with only having ONE price list, I need to explore other options. With a brilliant company like SmugMug is, you guys really goofed on this one. Bummer, I was looking to join today…

45. November 14, 2012 at 7:41 am

OH! So close! The ONLY other feature of pro accounts that I am making use of is the coupons (My multiple price lists are a result of being totally confused by the price list process…). Even if we could only offer one coupon per pricelist, that would make portfolio PERFECT. For me personally, I prefer to be able to have a “friends and family” coupon that allows folks to get things “at cost”, so I’m not charging my mother-in-law to get prints of her grandchildren through SmugMug. Any galleries I’ve posted for others to buy from, I’m GREAT with just one price list to rule them all.

For the Nonprofit I use SmugMug for, they like to try to drive traffic to the pictures of their event by offering a coupon of some kind for ordering prints.

We’ll probably keep the non-profit at SmugMug (I’m not sure we’ve seen more than a few coupons used), but I still have a decision to make about my other stuff.

-Kevin

46. November 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Great news, but I’d like to know the ETA for the new website interface as described by Don last year on Dgrin. Any news?

47. Jared
    November 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Isn’t it great! My costs still go up dramatically at the new Portfolio level because I am limited to one pricelist. Does SmugMug really expect me to spend $150 per year then purchase prints for family (located across the country) and send them prints too?

I might as well leave my camera at home for many events if I can’t get my family and relatives to buy whatever prints THEY WANT at their convenience and at cost because I’m limited to only one pricelist. I’m certainly not going to get any relatives to pay me for my time… but I was at least hoping they could pay for whatever prints they want at their convenience.

I need more pricelists but I might as well go elsewhere if I have to upgrade to get more.

In addition to above, what about a pricelist to all of my friends that will be happy to buy prints for a bit more than cost? What about a pricelist for all of my “friends” that will never be shown the at cost prices nor will never pay my Portfolio prices. A Portfolio price or an at cost price screws me and you SM.

Why can’t we have unlimited multiple pricelists at the $150 Portfolio level? Is the cost to maintain multiple pricelists considerably more than maintaining just one pricelist?

Congrats SmugMug, one pricelist just won’t work and two or three won’t work either. You’re still squeezing out the hobbyists who dream of making it big. The future Pro “Business” users that SM should be enticing to upgrade and retain with more useful features (some that have even been requested before) that Zenfolio, PrintRoom and other sites may have but SM does not offer yet (or ever?).

48. November 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Yep, I agree with you Jared. This bugs me too.

I think the general problem here is that Smugmug is too slow to adapt. Maybe it’s because they have so many long-time users with a vested interest in keeping their legacy sites up and running. Maybe it’s rubbed off on SM and makes them slow to change.

Me? I love some of the features. The Dgrin forums are great, and the Lightroom plugin is excellent. But as for the commerce and gallery interface? Burn the whole dang thing. For instance, who would ever think that there should be a separate listing for each finish (lustre, glossy, metallic, giclee)? That’s just one of the interface atrocities.

49. November 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Damn. Just after I get my Gallery software sort of sorted on my own website, you guys fix this.

Just my luck. I guess I have to put my Smuggy strap back on its camera.

One clarification: As I understand the new portfolio level, I can only have one price list active – so I can store multiple price lists, but I have to manually change them…

So, f’rinstance, I have a standard price list that I leave up for all the standard stuff. And then one day the dream client Gotrocks wants me to shoot a party, and I’m going to charge them for prints according to their considerable ability to pay. So I upload the pix into their own gallery and then type fast to change the list before they get here to order prints, and then I wait. (And while I’m waiting for Gotrocks, anyone else who wanders in sees the higher price on the routine stuff and rejoices at the chance to finally pay me what I’m worth.) Then, after Gotrocks has ordered, paid, and gone away (significantly poorer but happy with the great service), I then change back to the standard list, and wait for the next fly to wander into my parlor, hoping that poor dumb random customer with the lousy timing doesn’t come back and realize he just got zapped.

Is that approximately the sequence for the Portfolio account?

• November 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hey Clayton and thanks so much for weighing in and sharing your feedback. Your sketch of the workflow sounds about right, since you can create many Pricelists with a Portfolio account, and have one active at a time. This is designed to accommodate up-and-coming photographers looking to dip their toe into the selling pool. If you’re a pro with many clients, you’d probably find the more advanced commerce tools on the Business account better suited to your needs, which is why we split the two.

50. turndriverside
    November 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I moving over to Zenfolio as soon as my Smugmug is up. I don’t see the point in paying the same price as last year for less features.

51. November 30, 2012 at 6:29 am

Thanks for all your hard work and your continued work in making my life as a photographer better and making my images better every time. Im glad you have the portfolio and business accounts as this allows me to focus on getting my client base up and making a good profitable return before i start to venture in to bigger and more wider pricing. This is a great way for new photographers to learn about business and that you need to take your time with it. For now im happy doing the odd weekends worth of work and getting a good return for it. It makes all the difference.

52. December 11, 2012 at 8:40 am

The only feature I need in the Pro Package is the assistant password. It seems that all the features in the Pro Package are commerce related, except for the assistant password. On my site, I use the assistant password to allow other photographers to upload photos (it’s a running club website) without giving them the ability to delete or make changes. It seems like a lot of money to pay for a non-revenue generating feature. Make it part of the portfolio package please!

53. December 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

Ken Trombatore :
    The only feature I need in the Pro Package is the assistant password… On my site, I use the assistant password to allow other photographers to upload photos (it’s a running club website) without giving them the ability to delete or make changes.

First off, both Portfolio and Business fall under what Smugmug is calling their “Pro Packages”. Just to get the terminology straight.

But have you checked out the guest uploading feature?

It might not be quite as straightforward as what you want, but I think it’s available in the cheaper packages. Honestly, while I have my own issues with SM pricing plans, I can see why the Assistant Password deserves to be at the Business level. You are not really using the feature as it was intended. I think they are justified in using that to differentiate the hobbyist or small-scale individual who wants to sell (Pro) from those running a full studio (Business).

Just a shot in the dark, but if you want to share club photos online without the printing features, you might want to check out Posterous Spaces.

Chris Alleyne-Chin

54. December 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

Kevin :
    Thanks

55. Kevin
    December 11, 2012 at 9:42 am

John Dye :As much as i would like to help you with your question im sorry but market research is all down to personal requirement and your needs. If Zen folio is good for you why do you have an SM account?? I dont want to sound rude but seriously do your own home work and find out whats best for you and then draw your conclusions from the results.

Kevin :Can you share some of your market research comparing SmugMug to Zenfolio? Since Zen seems to be the most common competitor mentioned, would like to know how SmugMug is better then Zenfolio.Thanks

Can you at least share the top ten sites you did look at so others can check them out also?

• December 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

No i cant share the top ten sites i looked at because they were specific to my research, hence why i did the work myself because of my personal preferences and needs. There is no point in me posting up ten individual sites that i researched for my needs for some one else as the needs will differ entirely im not being evasive its just a pointless exercise to have to post ten sites up that i researched for my own requirements. Hence why SM was the best from the top ten i looked at and researched into because they were my choices. You have to do your own homework and draw your own decision as to what is best for you because you and i may differ wildly.

If you need to a website then you need to research for your needs not some one elses needs hence why im with smug mug because they offer me the things i need most than the ones i had looked at and checked out and the conclusion was that SM was the best fit and option for what i set out to look for.

Im not here to do work for others its not hard to research yourself. Put in the time and effort and you will get the results you want. Thats not me i do my own work for my own needs and not others needs. If you want to find out which is best then use Google and start researching. Sorry.

• Kevin
        December 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

John didn’t mean to offend you, sorry if I did. I was just asking because maybe you’ve come across some sites that I or others who are reading this thread don’t know about. For example, this site reviews photo selling sites:

The big ones that always get mentioned at SmugMug, Zenfolio, and Photoshelter. There are others like redbubble, zazzle, imagekind. And also Fine Art America and Exposure Manager which I don’t see people mention that often.

I just thought that if you had come across some companies that the rest of us don’t know about, you could share that with us so we can do our own research and see if those companies fit with our needs. I didn’t realize that you consider just the knowledge of those companies existing to be priviledged information that’d we’d have to find on our own.

For others that are reading this thread and don’t mind sharing knowledge with the rest of us, do you know of other companies that I haven’t listed here that I can take a look at?

• December 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I really don’t care what you think to be honest Chris, at the end of the day im not going to do 12 months hard work just to make others decision making easier. Thats my choice and in essence none of your business.

• December 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Firstly ignore the comment to Chris was posted in the wrong areal.

Secondly, im not trying to be nasty here im trying to make you make up your own mind without influences from others. Just use Google and go from their. Look at what they offer and what SM has to offer and you will eventually make up your own mind as to what you need and want. If i told you to go to this site and that site then id be giving out biased advice and to which may lead you to use something that isn’t for your needs nor requirements. Then that’s a waste of your time money and effort for what a big fat nothing.

Do it your self and don’t use others opinion or views to make your decision for you.

56. December 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

John Dye :

Kevin :
    Thanks

John Dye :
    No i cant share the top ten sites i looked at because they were specific to my research, hence why i did the work myself because of my personal preferences and needs. There is no point in me posting up ten individual sites… You have to do your own homework and draw your own decision as to what is best for you because you and i may differ wildly.
    Im not here to do work for others its not hard to research yourself.

… or you could have just tossed Kevin a few suggestions on the supposed sites you researched. He was just looking for some friendly advice. You could have listed a few and saved yourself some trouble (and come in at a lower word count).

@Kevin: The reason I chose Smugmug (for now) is it seemed to give me better clout with Google. The ability to post to Communities might also help advertise. Most of all, I needed the better Lightroom plugin they offer. I took a leap of faith, hoping that SM comes through with this interface refresh they promised over a year ago.

57. Kevin
    December 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

John Dye :
    Firstly ignore the comment to Chris was posted in the wrong areal.

But now I’m NOT asking for you opinion, I’m merely asking what the sites are that you know about, maybe there are sites that I or others don’t know about. Not asking for your opinion on those sites, just what were the sites you looked at. I don’t see how say “here are other sites that allow you to sell photos, A, B, & C” would be giving ANY type of opinion on those sites.

In your response to Chris you state, “at the end of the day im not going to do 12 months hard work just to make others decision making easier” – but ironically you’ve done just that. You’ve stated that you’ve done 12 months of research and that we will all ” struggle to find anything as competitive and as good as Smugmug”. Why should we do any research at all, you’ve already done all the hard research and made the decision easy for us. Yet now when we just ask who the other companies were – nope, can’t do it, that’d be giving your opinion and making it too easy for us – but the best one you’ll let us know about.

It’s funny, not even a month ago you post on your facebook page:

“Hey every one,

I need a massive favour i really want to get my name out there and i think that the best way to do this is to ask you my adoring fans to help spread the word.

Just share the link below to your wall and pass it on and on to your friends and family members.

Thanks for your help guys means a lot.”

yet when someone else asks YOU for some help, you tell them they need to do their own homework and you won’t give any assistance at all. Don’t believe in karma much huh?

• December 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

Ok i think a little lesson is needed here,

Firstly accept the fact im not going to tell you the sites i visited and looked at, just accept it.

Secondly this statement on my FB Page and i quote

“Hey every one,

Thanks for your help guys means a lot.”

That is what is known as ADVERTISING by WORD OF MOUTH using a SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE to help PROMOTE myself.

MARKET RESEARCH is the basis of conducting an investigation on to trends in the market for a business strategy or to find a product that would suit the needs of the person or company.

As you can see they are two totally different subjects and have no correlation to the basis of this what has been turned into an argument by you.at all, One is for advertising one is market research.

Iv already stated im not unwilling to help it just because the sites i have visited form and are included in my research and i do not want to share my work with any one. Why cant you understand that reason?

At the end of the day iv given you my reasons as to why im not divulging the sites i visited i dont have to explain to you why, you should just respect that i dont want to tell you, is that such a hard thing to accept for you?

Any way i have grown tired of replying to you, because it is just to hard to get you to understand.

Good luck with your research i hope you find the right solution soon.

Good Day,

58. January 25, 2013 at 9:04 am

This is the DUMBEST thing ever. I closed my account because of the price rise. So someone told me today about it going back essentially to how it was before – so I emailed to ask if I signed up, whether my data from 4 months ago could possibly be restored. NO PROBLEM!
    Ok wicked. Let’s go. Then I see the date hasn’t yet changed on the renewal – it’s still when I left. I emailed again to ask about this and was told that my re-subscribing TODAY for a year would start 4 months ago!!!!!
    I asked why and was told it was policy. Ok – so I had to download all my photos and ask for my data to be deleted so I could sign up again using the same details and re-upload everything and get the pages looking good again. All for nothing – I think if I’d realised what a totally stupid system was in place earlier in the day, I’d not have decided to go ahead with it. I’ve still not got my site looking right but I saved 4 months on my subscription. It’s crazy. Really not thinking about the customer there methinks.

I like the smugmug system but some of the decisions behind it really are crazy.

• January 25, 2013 at 9:26 am

Jimmy, we’re sorry to hear about the confusion with what could or would happen with your billing and customizations if you closed and reopened your account. If you want to go back to your old site and restore any customizations you’ve done, we will be happy to switch things around for you and make sure your billing date reflects your 4-month break. We used to not be able to modify that, but we should be able to now. So if this would help please do contact our Heroes again. I’ve talked with them and they understand your issue and are ready to help.

• January 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

If you ask me, i dont think SM owe you anything, you didnt show them any loyalty when they had to increase prices, and i cant see how the price increase would drive you away in any case, this is the first one they have introduced since they began operating. They have no Debt to outsiders and are entirely owned by themselves.

Why should SM restore your data after you have been away for four months. If you ask me you either stay or you go its that simple, and if you go then your data is destroyed to make room and space for some one else to occupy. You wouldnt do this with a house if you sold it and then ask four months later if you can have it back thats just ridiculous.

Why didnt you have your own backups of you images, either on Disc or on external HDD? Its not a great way to operate not having your own backups to go off of.

All in all you showed a distinct lack of loyalty towards SM so why on earth should they help you out when you tucked tail and did a runner to the competition when they annouced very reasonable price increases. You dont get better features and support without investment, and that investment has to come from somewhere and to avoid outside investment its better it comes from us the customer.

I dont think your owed a thing by SM and i reckon you should build everything from scratch and be billed your subscription from new.

59. January 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

jimmy storey :

I can’t believe you didn’t have any copies of your own photos. That’s your own responsibility. Doesn’t give them an excuse to back date your subscription though. That’s ridiculous!

• January 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

I agree with you. I dont understand why you wouldnt have you own images on a backup drive or on backup disc’s.

• January 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

He didn’t say that he had a crash. It sounded more like he never kept the originals to begin with! Although I guess we should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant that he had a crash.

60. April 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I know I am late to the conversation here but I wanted to say Thank you to smugmug for keeping unlimited storage AND for making the adjustments they did to the portfolio account level. I was upset when it all came up in the fall but knew my renewal wasn’t until May so I was hopeful there would be a solution or I would have to downgrade at that time (I am one of those who take lots of photos and LOVE the unlimited storage but don’t need all the fancy business stuff and I don’t make much profit (if any)-more of a hobbyist who wouldn’t mind making a buck when I can:)

Thanks again!!!