Home > Current Events, new features, release notes, SmugMug > New Android App: Upload, Browse and Share on SmugMug

New Android App: Upload, Browse and Share on SmugMug

SmugMug for Android for photo sharing

For last few years, SmugFolio was the best Android app on the market for SmugMug users to upload, manage and browse SmugMug on the go. People loved it. And so did we.

In fact, that app was so great we just had to buy it. So we did.

Wait, What? Can You Do That?

After talking with the app’s developer, we knew that we’d hit a gold mine of Androidical genius – Brian did such a great job designing, building and maintaining this app we knew he bleeds green just like us. And he’s been a long-time SmugMug customer, to boot. So we asked if he’d come join the cadre as one of our official Android engineers. We couldn’t be happier to have him on our team!

The New (Free!) SmugMug for Android App

Today the SmugFolio App gets a new name (SmugMug for Android) and a snazzy new icon that you’ll know and recognize in the Google Play store. It’s also free. But more than just a simple rebrand, we (and Brian) have made a few improvements to make your experience even better than before.

Grab it now from the Google Play store

What’s New?

• You can now browse other SmugMug user accounts without needing to log into the app. This is a great way to give friends and family a way to browse your public galleries on their phones and tablets.
  • The app has been made more secure by switching to OAuth for the login. You’ll need to login once you’ve updated to the new app. After you log in, your photos will still be available in the app. No need to re-download them all.
  • To make the app more secure and to prepare for some exciting future enhancements, the updated app now requires you to be on Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) or above. If you’re using Android 2.x or earlier, you can can still use SmugFolio, but you won’t be updated to the new app. This wasn’t an easy decision, but it is necessary to move the app forward.

And in case you’re new to the app, here’s a complete list of features:

• Upload unlimited photos and videos into unlimited gorgeous galleries.
  • Quick and easy access to your photos – even when you’re offline.
  • Upload photos and videos on-the-go, or automatically upload as you shoot.
  • Browse and search through galleries on SmugMug (ideal for friends, fans and family)
  • Full screen slideshows across all galleries or within a single gallery
  • Browse photos from favorite users without needing a SmugMug account
  • Multi select to move, collect, delete, and share multiple photos at a time
  • Auto download galleries when you’re on wifi
  • Auto upload photos and videos from any location to any album
  • Bulk upload multiple photos and videos at a time
  • Upload with GPS location
  • Display photo geolocation on Google map
  • View detailed photo information
  • View comments on photos and albums
  • Delete photos and galleries
  • Filter photos by keywords
  • Assign photo ratings and filter by photo rating
  • Create new galleries, edit gallery title and public setting
  • Set photos as wallpaper
  • Play videos
  • Share URLs or photos with other Android applications
  • Automatic short URL generation using SmugMug
  • View photo or gallery on SmugMug
  • Export photos and galleries to local device gallery
  • Choice of browsing by category or by gallery
  • Change download location to external SD card (or any folder you choose)
  • Read only mode can prevent destructive actions like delete

Got questions? Our amazing Support Heroes have put together a quick FAQ on using the original SmugFolio app, and we’ll keep it updated.

Since the original creator is a driving force on our team, we’ll continue to improve SmugMug for Android even more in the coming months. So let us know what you think and what features you’d like the most.

Enjoy!

1. June 17, 2013 at 6:07 am

Great job. This is the android application I was waiting for. Thank to all the developer team and smugmug managers.

• June 18, 2013 at 3:22 am

We’re happy to hear that!

2. June 17, 2013 at 6:58 am

I am unable to download the app to my Kindle making it useless to me.

June 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

Kindle Fire HD support will be there as soon as we can get it through the Amazon app store’s submission process. We’re focused on this and it is coming soon.

• June 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks, I really want this for my Kindle Fire HD!

June 28, 2013 at 5:07 am

The app is now available on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/SmugMug/dp/B004L7KGZC/. Enjoy!

3. June 17, 2013 at 7:51 am

Long time user of Folio…so awesome to see that SM hired him on as the app is great and now it looks even better.

• June 18, 2013 at 3:23 am

Thanks for the kind words, Randy. We think Brian’s pretty rad too.

4. Benny
    June 17, 2013 at 7:52 am

Great news – I purchased SmugFolio earlier due to the lack of updates to the official app. This was a pleasant surprise. One thing, however. I can’t play videos in my account when they’re in a password-protected album. I get a message – “Sorry, password-protected videos cannot be streamed due to their security policy”. This is no good – if I go to the Mobile website, I can stream the videos fine – the old Android app could stream them fine. I’m almost certain that the old SmugFolio app could stream them, as well, but I’m not positive on that.

Please give us the ability to stream videos again. I’m not sure what the difference in photos and videos would be from a ‘security policy’ standpoint.

Thanks.

• June 17, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Benny,

Hmmm…. I’m sorry this is happening to you. We were aware of this issue before shipping but it was working on our devices, so we’re looking into what is causing this for you.

Thanks,
      Baldy

• Benny
        June 17, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Thanks a lot – looking forward to a fix. If I can provide any info, please let me know. FYI my device is a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 – stock. My hope is that it’s a setting on a per-gallery basis or an app bug that can be corrected.

June 19, 2013 at 5:58 am

Hey Benny… This should have been fixed in v3.0.1. If you any problem, please let help@smugmug.com know. Thanks!

• Benny
        June 20, 2013 at 4:43 am

Yeah, I saw – works fine now, at least for a few galleries that I tried. Thanks a TON! Getting a good feeling with a quality Android solution from you guys and knowing that you’ve got the people on-staff to improve it in a timely fashion. Very cool!

5. June 17, 2013 at 8:18 am

Already installed and working. It has more improvements but I’d like to have the ability to comment on photos of others users.

6. jo
    June 17, 2013 at 8:32 am

My HTC Inspire says this app it is not compatible with my phone. Am I doing something wrong?

June 17, 2013 at 10:33 am

You’re not doing anything wrong at all. It appears the HTC Inspire runs Android 2.3, and the new app requires Android 3.0+. It is always hard to draw these lines as we try to provide the best experience now and going forward into the future.

• katie
        June 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m also running Android 2.3, and it won’t let me install SmugFolio either.

7. June 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

Glad to see SM upgrading the app.

Now to work on a way users can customize our mobile sites.

• June 18, 2013 at 3:24 am

That’s a great idea, Paul. It’s on our radar and important to us.

• June 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

I hope so!!!! Is there even a way to have my galleries show in an order I want rather than alphabetical?

• June 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Katherine.

8. June 17, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thank You!

9. Serafin
    June 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

How about Camera Awesome for Android?

• Benny
      June 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Yes, please – +1000

10. June 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Unable to login on my Motorola Droid Razor Maxx.
    JUst keeps taking me back to the initial login screen, over and over.

• Rebecca W
      June 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm

My motorola is doing the same thing…

• Mike V
        June 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Me too. Took 3x tries and off it went…

• June 18, 2013 at 3:25 am

Could you email help@smugmug.com? Our Support Heroes can take a closer look for you.

• June 18, 2013 at 8:33 am

I have a Motorola Razor Maxx and just downloaded the app. Experiencing the same issue as Wendy

June 19, 2013 at 5:14 am

The v3.0.1 version in the market should fix the login crash. If it does not, please email help@smugmug.com so we can pursue the issue. Thanks!

• Rebecca W
      June 18, 2013 at 8:39 am

Finally got mine to work…
      I had turned the phone sideways to type and if I turned it back vertical it kicked me out…if I kept it horizontal, it worked. I couldn’t hit the enter/login/whatever it’s labeled as button on the screen once I had typed in my e-mail and password, I had to use the “go/enter” button on my keyboard. Pretty finnicky, but maybe it will help another Motorola Razr user!

• June 18, 2013 at 8:49 am

I am glad that worked for you. I am about to give up. I will try on my tablet tonight :)

11. June 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am a professional photographer and I have long been using SMUGMUG to house my client’s online galleries. This is a great way to show my images on the “go” and also for quick reference when I am visiting them on site! LOVE IT! You guys are the best!

• June 18, 2013 at 3:26 am

That’s awesome, Susan! And holy moly, your senior portraits are spectacular!

12. June 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm

When iOS?

• June 18, 2013 at 3:27 am

Hey Mark – no update on the timing, but it’s important to us, and we’re working on it. We’ll post an announcement right here on the blog when we’re ready.

• June 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Please! I just switched from Android to iPhone and would love to be able to access my smugmug account. Thank you!!!

13. Serafin
    June 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Does this app allow you to include more than one account as “My Photos”? I tried to add a second account I help manage as a Favorite User, but it fails to open that account from that context. Note that this account has a password on the entire account (not just individual galleries). I am able to access the problem account if I log into it as my main account for the app, but it is inconvenient and time-consuming to have to log into one account and then the other.

Note: The iPad app allows me to include more than one account.

June 18, 2013 at 4:32 am

“My Photos” is presently limited to a single account, as you’ve seen. If public, the second account could be added as a favorite user or if not public, the logoff – logon method is the only other option.

14. oscar
    June 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

what about blackberry z10 no app for us we need any upload app

• June 18, 2013 at 3:28 am

Hey Oscar – Thanks for the suggestion. Could you add it to our Feedback Forum? It’s our way of tracking customer requests: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug

• Torsten
      June 24, 2013 at 10:53 am

Second that request. The first step for you guys would be to reach out to BB Developer Relations to talk about a quick Android port. They will work with you to see what works or doesn’t in the port and get you up and running. Then the next step would be to go native!

15. robertphotoscom
    June 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Is there a way to brand it for my site, or does it always need to be branded for SM

June 18, 2013 at 4:42 am

Hey Robert – The branding of the app cannot be changed today. We’re gathering all requests on what we may allow in the app in the future, so thanks for the feedback!

16. johnjapan
    June 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Can’t get it to work. It crashes when I enter log-in information.

(Sony Xperia Z – Android 4.1)

• June 18, 2013 at 3:30 am

Hey John – can you shoot us a note with more details so we can take a closer look? Help@smugmug.com. Our support heroes are standing by.

• June 18, 2013 at 4:30 am

I am having the same problem, crashes everytime I try to enter my login information. I sent a message yesterday and have not received a reply.

June 18, 2013 at 4:35 am

This has been recreated internally and we’re working on a fix. On the device we recreated this on, the logon did not crash every time. Immediately, while frustrating, it may be possible to retry the login a few times to get past the issue. Otherwise, a fix will be forthcoming shortly.

June 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

This should now be fixed with v3.0.1 update in the market. Please email help@smugmug.com if you continue to have issues. Thanks!

17. June 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm

when will this work on Kindle Fire? I want to have it but it isn’t yet supported, hopeful that it will be soon, :)

• June 18, 2013 at 3:43 am

Hey Gloria! Glad to hear you’re as excited as we are. We’ll support Kindle Fire HD as soon as we can get it through the Amazon app store’s submission process. We’re focused on this and it is coming soon.

18. June 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm

IOS app one day? In 2013? What do you think? The iPhone and iPad seem to kind of popular.

• June 18, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hi Jefferson – we have an iPad available in the iTunes store now and are working on an iPhone version. This is important to us, and it’s good to hear it’s important to you too. We’ll give you a heads up once we’re ready.

• Chris L
        November 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

You guys do indeed have an iPad app available, but correct me if I’m wrong…there’s no uploader of photos and videos outside of Camera Awesome (pictures only).

As a side note, Camera Awesome is extraordinarily unuseful to professional photographers, which baffles me why you guys push it so hard.

Is there a functional, useful uploading tool for iOS tablets (!!!) and phones for photos not taken with those devices coming in the near future? Getting to be pretty major for me. That would be an amazing Christmas present to your users!

19. June 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Reblogged this on Dad's Pixels and commented:
    Right after deleting the Flickr app from my Galaxy Nexus for attempting to upload the same photo a million times and getting rid of the 500px app for being just an app to see photos without support for photo uploads from your phone, SmugMug comes delivers the goods with this great-looking app (albeit it was put together by someone else and then “bought-out”. Still, it may be time to dust off the old SmugMug acount.

• June 18, 2013 at 10:31 am

Hey RJ – if you need a hand getting that Smuggy site dusted off, give us a shout anytime at help@smugmug.com. We’re standing by.

20. June 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I was so tired of having to open the internet off Galaxy SIII. So awesome to have this app available. Great Job Smuggers!

• June 18, 2013 at 3:33 am

Glad this will help ya out, Henry. Thanks for letting us know!

21. June 17, 2013 at 10:17 pm

SmugMug continues to dominate! Thank you

22. June 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

Auto sync will not search for photos under the subfolder of the DCIM folder. (i.e. /DCIM/Camera or something like /DCIM/Screenshots)
    I need to change the monitor folder to /DCIM/Camera to make it work. Is it possible to make the auto sync to search for photos with sub-folders? I want to upload all photos under DCIM folder.
    (Nexus 4, Stock Android 4.2.2)

June 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

The app should process subfolders so if you’re not seeing it do that, can you contact help@smugmug.com so the issue can be investigated?

• June 18, 2013 at 10:03 am

I get it work now after Clear data. Thanks Brian :)

23. June 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

What about the OLD official app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smugmug.android)?
    Can I just remove it? or will you update it in the further?

June 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

The old “SmugMug Mobile” app will not be further updated, so at this point you should remove it.

24. June 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

And I wish to have a function that the thumbnail of the galleries can be randomly generated each time we see it. Also can change to default keywords of the photo using auto sync function.

25. June 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

I further find that if I have removed all the photos of a gallery, the thumbnail will not be updated. It still displaying the removed photo thumbnail, but the gallery is empty.

26. June 18, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’m unable to download this application (checked the troubleshooting page and followed the clear memory/cache instructions and also verified that my device – Samsung Galaxy S / 769 is on the approved devices list).

• June 18, 2013 at 10:05 am

Are you using android 2.x? This app need android 3.0 or above.

27. June 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

Great app but would be even better if my customers could use it to access their unlisted and sometimes password protected gallery.

• June 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback and we hope you like it! As we said, we’re going to be making a lot of improvements to this app over time. Would you be so kind as to add your suggestions to our official feedback forum? http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug

28. Frank R
    June 18, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Excellent app to the Android family. Downloaded to my rooted Verizon Razr and rooted Kindle Fire. Works great! Thanks!

29. Trevor
    June 19, 2013 at 2:54 am

Downloaded to HTC Sensation but will not accept my normal log in details. Do I have to register again?

June 19, 2013 at 5:18 am

Hey Trevor… You do not need to register again. The app login should be identical to the website. If the website is working for you and the app is not with the same info, please contact help@smugmug.com so the issue can be pursued. Thanks!

30. June 19, 2013 at 4:25 am

Ok. I had the old app and now I updated it. I Don’t see any big changes. I did something wrong?

I don’t understand why I still see my watermarks on my photo’s when I export them to my downloadfolder. And why are they so small? Looks pointless to me

June 19, 2013 at 5:17 am

This version is not an update to the old app. If you had the old “SmugMug Mobile” app, you should uninstall it and run the new “SmugMug” titled app. The visual different should be apparent.

• Nico
        June 19, 2013 at 6:35 am

I installed the new one. It looks different but the problem with the export still the same. Watermarks and to small. Useless feature…

31. Alex Sebastian
    June 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I have a phone with Android 2.3.4 so I will have to make do with Smugfolio. However, I did a search for SmugFolio on the Google Play store and came up with nothing. What am I doing wrong.

• July 8, 2013 at 7:20 am

Hi Alex, unfortunately the new SmugMug for Android app is the newest version of SmugFolio, so SmugFolio is not available separately any more. However, we’ve still got the streamlined, mobile version of your website that appears automatically whenever viewed on a mobile device. You can disable this in your Account Settings if you wish, or upload a custom logo if you want your branding to be displayed. Hope this helps!

32. Gabriel Nguyen
    June 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I installed the SmugMug Mobile before and it works just fine. Tonight, I tried the SmugMug for Android and I had to hit enter key my username and password every single time. And when it down to password, it wouldn’t accept it. Is this some kind of bugs or just me? My Android version is 4.0.4

33. June 20, 2013 at 5:15 am

Great new app but still I have the same issue I had before. I have some of my photos/categories in japanese(using kanji). They work perfectly in the web but in the android app you can browse the categories but you can’t see any of the photos.

• Ian
      June 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Virgilio- The current version has a problem with the handling of some languages in category or photo names. We hope to have a new version out on Monday which fixes this. If you still have problems after that, please let us know at help@smugmug.com and we’ll keep looking.

• Ian
      June 25, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Version 3.0.2 is available in the Play Store now. It should fix this problem for you. Please let us know if you’re still having any issues!

• June 26, 2013 at 2:55 am

I’ve updated the app and it works half way. The gallery list shows up the thumbs correctly but when you enter a gallery you can only see the one that was shown in the gallery list. The funny thing is that if you click in any of the other thumbs, where no thumb is displayed, the original image shows up corretly. So the problem is just with the thumbs inside the gallery.

Thanks for your efforts.

• Ian
          June 26, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi- If you’re still having problems could you send a description to help@smugmug.com? Our Support Heroes can do a great job helping resolve them for you. It may just be that you need to refresh your galleries in the app now that you have the newer release, but it will be easier for our Heroes to help solve the problems then to diagnose here in the blog. Thank you!

34. John
    June 20, 2013 at 9:31 am

While the news of the Android App is great, what is being done for the iPhone and iPad apps as i still use an iPad 2 and i think this needs a massive overhaul.

• July 8, 2013 at 6:01 am

Hi John and thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. From the comments here, you’re not alone. We’ll see what we can do!

35. Liz Montgomery
    June 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Do you have SmugMug for Iphone?

• July 8, 2013 at 6:00 am

Hi Liz, we don’t have the same app for iOS but we do have a streamlined mobile version of the site that will automatically appear when browsing your website on a mobile device. You can either disable this if you don’t like it, or upload a custom logo to display using the Easy Customizer.

36. Christian
    June 20, 2013 at 10:15 am

I hope this mean that you are now going to fix the iOS one, because it is not good at all.

37. June 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Nice move! I’ve been using SmugFolio for a couple of years. Nice to see it become official!

38. Tye
    June 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Would love an App for Windows Phone!

39. Laura
    June 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Wahoo! I just got the app. Love it!

40. June 22, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Since I just got a USB OTG cable that will now let me hook up an SD card reader or thumb drive to my smart phone, now I can upload dslr photos to smugmug directly…. psyched about that…

One thing on the app, it’d be nice if it would pick up our friends and family from our SM account, instead of having to reenter them as favorites. And the favorites search could use work. If I put in the URL/user name (wilk4 from wilk4.smugmug.com) in my case, it doesn’t find that user…. if I put in part of it, I get a ton of lousy matches. Could you fix that please? otherwise, great app. thanks!
    jeff wilkinson,

• July 8, 2013 at 6:05 am

Hi Jeff, congrats on the newfound power to upload directly! And thanks for the suggestions about making it easier to see your Smug friends. I’ll be sure that the right folks see your comment.

41. June 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

Still missing the display full size picture options found in the non-official Android app where you can zoom in to a point where you can download the full resolution picture.

• July 8, 2013 at 6:09 am

Thanks for the feedback, alphazo! That’s a good point and a great use case.

42. ClickIt!
    June 23, 2013 at 9:49 pm

smugmug once way ahead is increasingly behind – of course we expect to be able to use our iphone as a primary viewing and mgmt device.

43. Evan
    June 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Is there any way to still purchase/download Smugfolio? I’m stuck with a phone running 2.3.5 and would love to purchase a copy to use until I upgrade to a newer phone.

• July 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

Evan, since the new app is an update to SmugFolio, the only way to still use SmugFolio is to have had it on your phone already. We apologize for the inconvenience but this was a tough decision we had to make. The mobile version of your website is still always visible when you browse on your mobile device (unless you disable it), so you’ll have access to clean, beautiful photos on the go.

44. Dave
    June 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

I really, really miss this app (now that I carry an iPhone instead of the Droid). What are the chances…??

• July 8, 2013 at 6:10 am

Thanks, Dave, for the comment. We see that there’s quite a bit of interest for a browsing app for iPhone, so we’ll be sure the right folks see your feedback.

45. Jeremy
    June 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

this did work for me but now my droid is not compatible with the new version. it just disappeared from my phone.

46. finoo
    June 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I tried to download today on an HTC Desire HD and it said my device wasn’t compatible.

• July 8, 2013 at 6:25 am

Hi finoo, unfortunately we did have to limit the compatibility of the app to newer devices, but if you’re not sure if yours makes the list, please write to our heroes: help@smugmug.com.

47. ncntoad
    June 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Fantastic!! Thank you. (On an HTC Rezound)

48. June 26, 2013 at 10:17 am

Can my fans use it to view my smugmug without logging in?

June 28, 2013 at 5:11 am

Yes, the app starts with a choice to login or browse favorite users. They can enter your nickname or name and browse your listed galleries.

49. Erik
    June 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

When you enable the upload function, does it delete the pictures from your phone or does it just copy them to the smugmug server?

June 28, 2013 at 5:09 am

The app never deletes your local photos. It will only upload the photo to your desired SmugMug gallery.

50. Harold
    June 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Love the app! Beautiful job on the UI. I used to access my site in a Chrome browser and that was very painful. There is no comparison. Very smooth.

51. chopstks
    June 27, 2013 at 6:25 am

Congrats SmugFolio. Been using the paid SmugFolio for a while on my Galaxy Tab 2 and LG Optimus G both Android Jelly Bean. Always my preferred app for Smugmug. Wise move Smugmug.

52. B
    June 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

Would you consider posting the app in the BlackBerry store? In case you didn’t know, BB will run Android apps… thanks!

53. Christopher F
    July 2, 2013 at 12:14 am

Bummer, I removed the old app and went looking for the new one… Apparently it’s not compatible with Verizon DroidX Androids…

54. Gabe
    July 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I have an HTC Inspire. The Play store says “Your device isn’t compatible with this version.” I had already deleted the old version just before and now cannot download that one as it’s been removed from the store. What can I do?

• Gabe
      July 6, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Just read through the comments and found my answer. “It was a hard choice, but we had to move the app forward.” It’s disappointing to see you decide customers with 2 year old hardware drags your company down.

55. July 8, 2013 at 5:15 am

Like to second Gabe’s words. Very, very disappointing if it’s true that I’m not going to be able to use this new Smugmug app on my EVO 4G. And that’s an understatement.
    I’ve been so pleased with Smugmug for the close to five years I’ve done business with them. And now, what? I really have to fork out for a new phone so I can have the ‘privilege’ of viewing and showing my work to people on a mobile device?
    I’m a paying customer for gosh sakes. Is it too much for me to expect mobile capability?

• July 8, 2013 at 7:06 am

Hi Steve, we’re sorry that this isn’t working for you and we certainly don’t want to require you to upgrade your phone just to share photos. The mobile version of your website should appear automatically when viewed on any mobile device. It won’t have the offline capability that the Android app has, but you should still be able to show people edge-to-edge photos on the go.

• July 8, 2013 at 7:14 am

Any update as to when this will work with the Kindle Fire?

56. July 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Installed it today, love it already!

57. July 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I installed on my galaxy s3, but it will not let me use my current log in info to log in.

58. July 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Awesome – this is super exciting… I’ve been waiting for Android SM; for Samsung Galaxy S4 = so am very happy with SM… LOVE SM. Keep up the amazing job.

59. July 18, 2013 at 4:49 am

Even this is a great step what I miss in this android app is to see and follow the popular photos of the day or a community in order to comment too.

60. Chuck
    August 2, 2013 at 8:08 am

How about a version for the iPhone? Camera Awesome doesnt do all of this. Thanks!!

• August 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Chuck, we hear you and you’re definitely not alone. Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

61. Mark
    August 7, 2013 at 4:47 am

I have been a SmugMug customer for years and use everyday. One of the best features was ability to use app for Droid and easily take pictures and quickly upload to photo album.
    Now it is my understanding I have to upgrade phone in order to be able to continue to use as before.
    If this is the case I will be dumping and switching to different online photo service. You should at least keep old app for existing customers that have not yet upgraded to new phones, mine is not even eligible to upgrade till November
    Very Disappointing !

62. JoeW
    August 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I agree with Gabe and Steve and especially Mark. EXTREMELY disappointing. I loved being able to share photos instantly via my android phone, SMUGMUG what were you thinking?
    What I haven’t read in the threads is if SMUGMUG plans on listening and offering up a solution…. SMUGMUG, what do you say??

63. September 19, 2013 at 6:47 am

Do you know when you are going to get the app on the iPhone?

64. Mettur
    October 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I am very envious of Android folks who got this great app. Sorry to see that Sumgmug has ignored the iPhone users. I use Smugview which is great. But no way to upload photo. I have to use PhotoSync to upload photos, which has limited option.

Please don’t tell me “Camera Awful” (real name is Camera Awsome!!) will work. No it does not.

Glad to see Android users got something useful. If only iPhone users can get something :-(

65. Chris L
    November 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I will pay you guys $200 for an iOS version of this Android app. $200 for an app. Promise. Lawd Jesus I promise.

66. November 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

I like this app. The only thing I miss is the possibility to export an original (without watermark!) to a local destination. If I use the “Export to Local Gallery” I get a lowres file with watermark. A kind of pointless I think…

67. Jim
    January 12, 2014 at 2:53 am

This app is listed as incompatible with my HTC Evo, which makes it useless and hard to quickly upload pics from my phone to my Smugmug account. Which is annoying as the previous version of this app worked fine. Is there an alternative I can use?

68. March 15, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I downloaded and installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy3 today. It logs me in but hangs on the screen asking me to “Authorize” the app to access my account. The auth button is active, it blinks when I click but nothing happens… I’ve waited, rebooted etc with no success. Is there something I need to enable on the site to allow my android 4.1.1 T-mobile device access?

Thanks!

• Ian
      March 15, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Hi Jeff- Sorry you ran into this. I believe there have been issues with our OAuth system (the system for apps to get secured logins to SmugMug accounts) today. You shouldn’t have to do anything special on your end. If this problem is still happening, I’ll find out what’s going on and let you know when it’s been resolved.

69. August 24, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Wow! Awesome App. Shows off my work on my HTC One beautifully. Thanks for all the hard work developers.

70. August 25, 2014 at 5:17 pm

My HTC Evo is still disenfranchised by this “awesome app.”. Utter crap that I have to buy a new phone to use mobile Smugmug.

• August 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hi Adam, we’re sorry that the app isn’t compatible with your phone, but we consciously made the decision to make the app work on Android 3.0 to make use of modern features, like UI and security enhancements, that were not compatible with earlier versions of the Android OS. Plus, Android pushes updates to newer systems only. We hope this info sheds a bit more light into why we had to make the choices we did, but we wanted to be sure to build a modern and secure app. Thanks for taking a moment to let us know your thoughts here!

1. June 17, 2013 at 10:01 am