Home > Customization, Galleries, Site design, SmugMug > Smug Tip: The No-Hack Custom Page Tutorial

Smug Tip: The No-Hack Custom Page Tutorial

If you’ve been with SmugMug for a while, you’ve probably earned a badge trying to create non-gallery pages using Advanced Customization. Anyone with a website needs to create pages that don’t necessarily have lots of photos on them: About Me, your mission statement, your pricing, etc.

Before, you had to copy and paste complicated code to hide parts of your gallery page, then hand-type in HTML to get what you wanted.

With the new SmugMug it’s as easy as drag, drop and go. Here’s how to do it in 3 simple steps.

PS. Creating Pages is a customization feature available on Power, Portfolio and Business accounts. If you’re a Basic user, you can customize your homepage using any of the Themes and content blocks we provide, but you may not find all the options listed below.

Step 1: Create your new page

First, create the page you want. If you want to create an About Me page, for example, start by hitting the Organize > Create > Page button in your header.

Give it a name, keywords, settings, whatever you wish. Hit the Done button in the top left of your window to save.

Tip: Your new page will appear at the bottom of your folder tree list when you open up your site Organizer. You can drag it into any other place (like into a Folder) if you want it elsewhere.

Step 2: Customize it

Find the page that you just made. You can do this by typing in the URL for it, or you can click the link from the preview window in your site Organizer.

Once you’re at your new page, open up customization from the header: Customize > Customize Site. To confirm that you’ll be applying changes to just the one page (and not your whole site), look for the following folder list at the top right:

Personalize the page however you wish. You can change the Theme if you want a different color scheme on this page versus any other part of your site.

Don’t forget to browse through the many different content boxes from the “Content” tab and drag the ones you like into the middle, the side, the bottom, wherever you want onto your page.

Tip: A light green box will appear in any spot that can accept a block. If you miss, we’ll show you a dotted outline mapping out where valid areas lie on the page. Experiment and have fun!

Step 3: Link it

Remember that you get an instant, live preview of everything you’re doing, but to clear the windows away just click the Preview button, and “Done” when you’re finished.

Copy the URL for the gallery from the top of your browser page, and click to highlight the top-level, “Entire Site,” option from the top right.

If the site design you’ve chosen comes with a menu bar, click the little wrench to open the edit box.

Tip: If your design doesn’t include a menu bar, Power, Portfolio and Business users can add one by dragging and dropping in the “Menu” content block from the Content > Navigation section.

Click the little + sign to add a link to the menu.

Fill in the copy you want, and past in the URL for the new page you just created. Click Done.

That’s it! Your new page is happy, gorgeous and accessible to all.

Give it a try and let us know what you think. And we want to see what kinds of amazing pages you’re designing, so don’t be afraid to show us what you’re building.

1. August 5, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Oh its all very simple
    But you have removed the ability for your paying subscribers to protect their images from pintheft pinning
    Turning off external linking is not an option
    I do note that you don’t have a pintheft button on here
    why’s that is it because you don’t want your images pinned?
    PS
    Support telling people that its going to be looked at in future releases is a lame promise
    We need it resolved ASAP or you can pay me for each image stolen and pinned on there
    Each one pinned = a license fee lost for that image and a cheapening of my images especially when they are pinned next to penises and spread vaginas is is common on pinterest…

thanks as ever
    John

• Jack
      August 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Any photograph published online WILL be stolen and misused. This is the world we live in. YOU have to figure out a way to make this culture work FOR you. (hints: A tasteful, non-intrusive watermark is a start. Getting paid in advance is another.)

• August 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Jack :

But they don’t make money for you thats the problem
        people consider pinterest as a free to pick image stock site its the Well if its in pintheft it must be free attitude. It does not bring in cash other than the odd sale of low value crappy phone cases and thats not my market
        I understand that ANY image can be stolen but Smug Mug say our images are safe on there yet they remove the ability we have to stop pinterest theft.. Thats does not make my images safer it makes them more open to thieving magpies on pintheft pinning them in a mindless moronic zombie like fashion

Unfortunately discreet watermarks are so easy to remove its getting to the pointless stage with them.

I am completely anti pintheft after one of my images was pinned many multiple thousands of times used by corporations and blogs the world over all because some magpie thought it looked good to pin on there. I was effectively raped, cyber speaking with no way putting a condom on the assailant. The no pin code is at least a bit like a condom. It may not work all the time but at least you know its there.

Oh and to make matters worse i never made a penny from it and my actual fine art sales of the image plummeted to £0 due to it becoming ubiquitous and therefore not worth anything. Why would you pay when you could steal it for free on pinterest

• August 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This. There are so many free tools these days that allow you to select, capture, host, and grab a URL to for an image with just a couple of clicks. If you can see it in a browser, it can be captured and hosted outside of SmugMug (and pinned from there) so easily. People will and do find ways to workaround physical controls. It seems like a watermark is the best way. It’s probably much more work to remove a watermark from your image than to download the latest Imgur extension for my browser, capture it sans watermark, and throw it up on Pinterest

• August 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm

there are a few sites online that you can buy and register an electronic watermark that is imbedded in the metadata of the photo so that you can prove it is yours. Not sure the names but a quick search will supply some options.

• August 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Keep in mind that most hosting sites strip metadata. It makes anything that cannot be physically seen rather pointless.

• August 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm

try Google Picture Search to see if any of your pictures are online in places other than where you want them to be.

• August 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Tineye.com is also a good one, I use both.

• August 6, 2013 at 12:39 am

All true Alan.
        The thing is irrespective of whether you tell zombies not to pin or not they are so hell bent and addicted to mass out pinning their latest online BFF that they dail to notice images cost money.
        Pinterest is encouraging people to breach copyright regulations.
        They shut down the music sharing sites because the artist was not . getting their cut.
        Unfortunately single togs don’t have the cash to hire the teams of lawyers needed to fight pinterest.
        They do remove when you ask but the offenders get an email telling them the bad person who is no fun forced pinterest to remove the image. Please go back to filling your boards with other images that are not the bad persons…
        I directly contacted one of the worst offenders of pinning my images her simple brain could not comprehend that I did not want my images in there amd that there was a cost involved to license.
        Her attitude as ever was…
        Well if its on the net its public domain..

• August 5, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Huge watermarks in every gallery. It’s a must.

• August 6, 2013 at 11:15 pm

John Farnan wrote “Hint: A tasteful, non-intrusive watermark is a way to protect yourself from online theft. Why then is the watermarking function in SmugMug BROKEN?! Half of my images are not being watermarked. Complete galleries do not have watermarks after days! FIX THIS SmugMug!

• August 7, 2013 at 1:56 am

Hi Robert
        The watermarks can be a bit slow sometimes going on just now most prob cause everyone is pooing themselves to get them on due to the no pin code issue
        And now support are recommending the smaller the files we display the better. ..
        Totally contradicting everything they have been saying for years.

They are now in organise > organise site> select the gallery> tiny spanner in the top left corner> watermarks… then its just the same as it was before from there.

• August 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Robert, watermarks should never take days to apply, so it sounds like we should help you get them applied correctly. Please send an example gallery (one where you’re trying to watermark but don’t see it working) to our Heroes, along with a summary of the steps you did to watermark them? Thanks! http://help.smugmug.com/

2. August 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm

One of the issues here is that before I could add in custom code, one of my favorite was Tynt.com.
    When a new local photographer would search other photographers in the area they would invariably see my sight at the top of google, and so in a large portion of the cases they would steal my content, images, text etc. Using Tynt I would see which page they took it from, where they pasted it too, how many people saw it, what sort of damage it had to my reputation and was able to send a succinct certified letter from my lawyer telling them to knock it off and pay up.

I am sure this will be worked out in a future version, but for now I am sticking with legacy.

3. Kim Barley
    August 5, 2013 at 1:23 pm

A little better. Now one question. The top of my album is a single image. I need to change it to another. Friends keep congratulaion on my 59 wedding but now it is 61!

• August 5, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Kim, you can change the pic that shows on your gallery by opening the Gallery Settings, then choosing a new featured image. By default it will show the first image in the gallery. Hope this helps!

• August 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

SmugMug :

Why do you guys only ever reply to comments of a minor nature and never acknowledge you have broken it again whilst telling us you have given more options but in reality you have locked it down even more??

4. August 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

A very timely blog topic!

In the past I learned how to customize my homepage with one of the many well documented “hacks” found on the DGrin forum.

I was very pleased to see when I “migrated” to the new SmugMug that you have made it super easy now to customize the homepage!

In fact, I was able to create my new site to appear very much like my legacy site with NO CUSTOMIZATION. I was comfortable with managing a moderate amount of CSS and HTML code, but now have NONE to worry about. This is huge!

I “unveiled” my site last week, and am VERY PLEASED with the new SmugMug! Great job!

I know you are still hard at work adding features to the new SmugMug in a way that will be much more maintainable…. Thanks!

5. Skylar
    August 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hopefully someone can help me here, but when trying to embed a video on a “Page” (i.e. Smugmug’s Product Videos), I copy & paste the iframe code into an HTML content block, but nothing happens. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Is there something else that I’m supposed to be doing? Am I doing something wrong?

6. August 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm

How do you get a text navigation block to flow around a photo like that. When I try it, I can’t get it to happen.

I am also very disappointed that you have done away with linking your gallery to various communities, like Military.com. I get a large portion of my site traffic from these communities and now in version 2 I will lose that traffic and hence sales.

7. August 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Give me an iFrame widget so my proofs or on my website…. I also remove Smugmug from being mentioned any where in my clients experience.

8. frank mckenna
    August 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I have a customized template that FastLine Media created for me. Can I still keep that template but leverage the new themes in individual galleries. The galleries look so much better but I don’t want to mess up the customized Theme that FastLine created?

9. BJ
    August 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Is there a way to change the favicon?

• August 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Hi BJ, if you haven’t already found this option, you can change the favicon by opening your site-wide customization, then clicking the “Settings” button in the bar that appears at the top of your page. This opens your design settings, and the favicon option is there.

Note that because of how long browsers cache favicons, it may take a while for it to show up for you. But your visitors will be able to see it when they see your site the first time. Hope this helps!

10. Jack
    August 5, 2013 at 8:57 pm

John Farnan :
    But they don’t make money for you thats the problem

Exactly. That’s why the shoot-upload-pray business model is dead.

11. August 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This tutorial went right over my head. Is there a video explaining what your talking about? How about a version for computer dummies like myself?
    Thank, John

• August 6, 2013 at 6:30 pm

John, thanks for the feedback. We do expect to have lots of video tutorials about things like this for the new SmugMug, and we’ve gotten a lot of requests for this. Stay tuned!

• August 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thanks and I look forward to video tutorials.

12. Graham Hodge
    August 6, 2013 at 2:05 am

Very helpful article, thrilled about the new smugmug, makes my webpage much nicer and easier to manage.

13. Jessica Eik
    August 6, 2013 at 5:23 am

John Farnan :

Jack :

But they don’t make money for you thats the problem

14. Jessica Eik
    August 6, 2013 at 5:25 am

I am SO GLAD to find someone else so anti-Pinterest. The exact same thing happened to me and I was told I could have them removed but I had to find out the size of each one, which is nearly impossible since it is pinned thousands upon thousands of times and with absolutely no compensation to me ever (it came from 1x.com years ago). Pinterest needs to be SHUT DOWN. It is blatant, outright thievery and we just fight back!

• August 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hi Jessica
      I hate them so much i have registered the domain pintheft.com i haven’t really did anything with it but i may move it in the direction of a pressure group or some other thing not sure yet
      maybe i should just put all the graphics from pinterest on it and see how they like it!

15. August 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm

hallo,
    i have a problem with blocks : a long text block on left and a small image on right and want to keep text on left, never below image.

i tried two methods : the best one is to have a single text block on left but in text block you forgot to add tools like lists, font size, color,… so it is hard to have titles “about me” followed with text, “my equipment” followed by text,…

second method : use title block, text bloc, title block, text block,… problem is that small image is on right of only the first title and text blocks. it would be nice to have new tools and add a big left container (div floating left) and a big right container in which i add what

third method : html and tags h1,… it works fine an have the same titles than on galeries,… but i don’t find the css for lists,… how can we add this

here are some examples :
    unique text block : grey titles !!! : http://www.labrophotography.com/About-Me
    html : bright text !!! http://www.labrophotography.com/Links

best regards
    marc

16. August 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

I actually like Pinterest. Sure, they may pin a copyrighted image or two, but if a corporation uses any of those source images, that’s copyright infringement money in the bank.
    For the Pinterest hater that had a “fine art” image stolen, have you considered that you could have sued each infringement at a Federal level for the incurred “loss” of your sale plus damages? It would have far outmatched your actual incurred monetary loss from the theft.

• August 31, 2013 at 1:04 pm

the problem with suing for every infringement is that i would spend my whole time and cash suing companies in a country i don’t live in
      that’s a bit too expensive as my fine art stream is unfortunately not my main source of income especially on smug mug where its just about impossible to make anything from it

17. August 31, 2013 at 11:43 am

James Henline :
    Friggen spammer.

This reply keeps getting pushed under the most recent comment in my browser, which is kinda funny.

18. August 31, 2013 at 11:46 am

HELP!!! Your site is having major uploading problems today and my website is crawling painfully slow> 8/31/13. I just shot a big event and promised participants that the photos would be up in a couple of hours. Nothing is showing up. Just says ”PROCESSING.” Cannot access other galleries.

Googled and found that I am not the only one. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240074
    Please send out a message to let us know what is going on and when it will be fixed.
    My sales depends on getting the photos up asap!
    Thanks, John

19. August 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Friggen spammer.

20. August 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Well sheesh, now you need to remove this comment and the one it is replying to otherwise I just look weird lol.

1. August 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm