Home > new features, release notes, SmugMug > SmugMug + Aperture = Mac Happy Uploading

SmugMug + Aperture = Mac Happy Uploading

With Apple’s latest announcements, we’re stoked to announce that Aperture and SmugMug have finally joined forces!

Yes, that’s right: You can now connect and sync your SmugMug account with your account in Aperture and easily browse, upload, download and organize all from one app.

Getting Synced With SmugMug

When you open up the new Aperture, first open up the File > Preferences and click on the “Accounts” tab. Hit the little + symbol to open up the available services dialog:

Once added, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your SmugMug account and authorize the connection. Remember that if you change your mind, you can visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Privacy and revoke permission of any previously authorized accounts.

Now you should see all of your SmugMug galleries in the Viewer on the right. You’ll still see your account listed in the Source List on the left, along with any of your local files and projects.

From here, you can:

• Manage your gallery settings for any gallery on your site
  • Create new galleries on your SmugMug site
  • Upload photos to new or existing SmugMug galleries

What we love: Aperture will sync down all of your SmugMug images even if they didn’t previously exist in your Aperture library. Best of all, images shared from Aperture stay synced, so if you share an image to SmugMug and then make further edits to it in Aperture, those edits will sync up to SmugMug without having to re-Share (upload) the image.

Take a look at our brand-new Aperture help page that has more info about where to find all the important bits and pieces.

We hope that all of your Mac-loving SmugMuggers find it easier than ever to edit and upload the photos you take every day and get them seen by the ones who matter most.

P.S. SmugMug has long been a part of Adobe Lightroom, and we’ve gotten a lot of requests from customers to be included in iPhoto, too. If you agree and want to see SmugMug in iPhoto, please leave feedback at Apple and tell them why! We’d love to see SmugMuggers everywhere uploading and managing their photos from everywhere that counts.

1. October 28, 2013 at 10:46 am | #1

All good guys – though don’t use Aperture myself.

Would be great if SM could be integrated to the Apple TV – any chance this could be happen sometime soon?

Hate to see other sites on my Apple TV but not SM.

2. October 28, 2013 at 11:13 am | #2

Woo Hoo! Thank you so much. I’m looking forward to an easier and quicker way to update my photos and galleries. I didn’t know you did this for Lightroom, but now that it’s for Aperture I’m very happy.

3. Rob
    October 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm | #3

Another vote for Apple TV integration! I have left this request with Apple as well since it is really their decision. Leave requests here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html Though SmugMug folks can certainly help!

• October 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm | #4

Thanks Rob, request duly submitted ;)

• October 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm | #5

Hi Rob and thanks for sharing the link with others here. We’d love to be in Apple TV as well. You took the words out of our fingers!

4. October 28, 2013 at 3:07 pm | #6

So what you are telling about syncing is, that when I connect my Aperture to my SmugMug account, Aperture will sync and download my 45.000 photos from my SmugMug account and download almost 180 GB of data to my hard drive?

5. dan
    October 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm | #7

All well and good but not available if you’re still on Snow Leopard I think. It would help to specify the minimum OS and Aperture version requirements.

6. October 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm | #8

This is truly great!!!!!!!

7. October 28, 2013 at 11:41 pm | #9

Can someone who have tried it tell me if Aperture will start syncing all my photos when I connect Aperture to my SmugMug account? I have 45.000 photos on SmugMug and I don’t want them synced back to my hard drive.

• October 30, 2013 at 8:28 am | #10

I think it only downloads the metadata and generates thumbnails. When you view an image from your SmugMug gallery in Aperture, it will generate the preview on demand. That’s my understanding.

• November 25, 2013 at 9:09 am | #11

It does download a new file. Syncs any edits/metadata alterations. If you “shared” an album from elsewhere in your Aperture hierarchy, somehow those photos will also stay in sync (and also its duplicate in the SmugMug “gallery”)

8. October 29, 2013 at 1:38 am | #12

Does not work for me, unknown error in Aperture and the website will not open in Firefox

9. October 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm | #13

I have the same question as Frank. All of my 73 SmugMug galleries show up on my desktop Aperture. And when I open an existing gallery all of those photos are downloaded to my Aperture in a SmugMug folder, even though they all came from Aperture in the first place. In other words, it seems to duplicate all your files that you’ve uploaded.

10. October 29, 2013 at 2:43 pm | #14

From my test, it downloads a 1600 x 1200 file of each photo you already have up there. My question is what resolution and quality gets upload it when you use this new feature.

• October 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm | #15

It seems to be a full size download of the file you have posted. In my case a 4000×3000 pixel picture downloads to about 15 MB jpeg. So that was .3 GB for 1 of 73 galleries that I have posted and it’s no where near the largest of my galleries. I hesitate to sync any other albums. In addition I can see no rhyme or reason to the order of the galleries presented within Aperture. I can only assume that this is a work in progress.

11. October 29, 2013 at 6:10 pm | #16

I should have said that my test was for photos already on Smugmug at the moment I added the service to Aperture.

Does the 4000 x 3000 was the full resolution of the photo? And was the download performed over the browser?

• October 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm | #17

Almost all of my photos on SmugMug were added via the ApertureToSmugMug plugin, generally at full size jpeg. I haven’t tried just uploading photos to SmugMug yet using the new capability. I think that until they get this duplication of files figured out, I’ll just continue to upload pictures using the plugin.

12. October 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm | #18

I have a couple of problems with the new SmugMug to Aperture function that make it unusable. First, the feature gives you no option to control the type or resolution of the file that is being uploaded. I assume it’s a full sized JPEG, but it doesn’t tell you that anywhere. Not what I typically want to upload to my portfolio galleries. So, this part is useless.

Second problem is the automatic downloading (and duplication of image) into another synched project in Aperture. I don’t know about you, but I’ve got a lot of galleries up there and many different Aperture libraries and I don’t need a duplicate copy of ALL my SmugMug galleries taking up space in each one of my Aperture Libraries! So, I’m back to using manual uploads unless they get these major errors of omission are corrected.

13. October 30, 2013 at 8:38 am | #19

For now, I am sticking with the SmuginProForAperture plug-in I have been using for a few years now. I paid about $15 for it, and am absolutely happy and satisfied with it. A free simpler version of that plugin is also available. The plug-in author has been great at keeping the versions up-to-date – at no additional cost. SmuginProForAperture supports hierarchical navigation through the SmugMug galleries and gives you full control of the size, resolution and watermarking of the uploaded images. None of the above functionality is supported in the new built-in Aperture feature.

• Scott
      October 30, 2013 at 8:43 am | #20

I agree. I have the same plug-in. This version that has been built in to the 3.5 version of Aperture is not a very well thought out attempt. Seems a very amateurish approach. More like something that would have gone into iPhoto when it was new.

14. October 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm | #21

Let me conclude: What is now built into Aperture is NOT uploading in the traditional way with the SmuginProForAperture. It is SYNCRONIZATION like the Flickr and Facebook integration i Aperture.

I really hope that SmugMug will point that out to the users, before the start seeing thousands and thousands of dupes downloading from SmugMug to Aperture. You can read miles long angry mails in Flickr groups about the way photo sync works in Aperture and the frustration of users who don’t understand it.

I think SmugMug should start explaining the users how it really works and not just how you set it up unless they want to deal with angry users very soon.

15. October 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm | #22

Wonderful news! For us Apple huggers, doesn’t arrive day too soon. Thank you!

16. November 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm | #23

I like the new integration, but would really love it if I had more control, or knew what was actually happening?

With SmugInPro for Aperture, I can choose and know what size is I have uploaded, and I have additional keyword control.

I can also put any image in any gallery I choose, even at the same time, my images can go to multiple galleries.

• November 5, 2013 at 6:36 am | #24

I Agree. There is no control with the new integration. I stick with SmugInPro. I have much more control with that excellent plugin.

• November 9, 2013 at 8:29 am | #25

Agree. The new Aperture feature is consistent with the way Aperture integrates with Facebook, etc. It is somewhat primitive, which is ok for social network sharing, I suppose. But, by all means, it is far from being a satisfactory solution if SmugMug is your primary online photo archive. SmugInProForAperture has, indeed, been an excellent tool for exporting your photos to SM from Aperture – with full control of sizes, watermarking, gallery creation, settings and navigation. It used to cost $15, and it is $19.99 now, but I think it is totally worth the money. However, it seems some tweaks are still needed to make the plugin handle the creation of new subfolders/galleries better in the new SM. So today, I find that I have to create a new gallery inside SM first, and then navigate to it in Aperture/plugin to export my images. The developer, however, has been quite responsive, so I expect all the kinks to be worked out soon.

17. Unhappy
    November 21, 2013 at 5:34 pm | #26

Wow. It seems like they get it – the title of the post says “happy UPLOADING” But then you actually use their product and find that once again Smugmug fails to get it. Again. No one wants automatic, no control DOWNLOADING from Smugmug to their computer. No one. Ever. What is wrong with the Smugmug product development team?

18. November 25, 2013 at 9:00 am | #27

Great new capability… I switched to SmuMug just because of it!

Now the last part to making it truly amazing: How about syncing the RAW original from Aperture into SmugVault? That would be spectacular on any pro’s workflow.

19. Stav
    November 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm | #28

Jack Foster Mancilla :

Constantine :

Yes, I have the same small issue with creating new galleries but the SmuginProForAperture plugin is so much more advanced than any else that it is worth the extra step. Mind you the developer is amazingly responsive and I have no doubt he will fix this bug at some point. For anyone requiring professional level interaction with SmugMug, this is worth the small amount of money

20. December 15, 2013 at 4:23 pm | #29

FANTASTIC! I’m a very happy Aperture user and have been patiently waiting for SmugMug to add Aperture support. This is super! http://www.alexsheridanphoto.com

1. November 10, 2013 at 7:09 am | #1