Home > Site design, SmugMug > An Organizer Worth Migrating For

An Organizer Worth Migrating For

One of the requests we’ve heard time and time again from you over the years was the ability to visually organize all of your photos and galleries from one screen. So that’s what we did in the New SmugMug, and we keep hearing from Smuggers using the new site-wide organizer just how essential it is to their everyday workflow.

Whether or not you believe in making resolutions at the New Year, we think it’s worth it to try and be more organized, no matter when. More time, less digging, easier path to your favorite memories – What’s not to love?

New SmugMug gives you 5 layers of organization, too, which means you can sort your photo up to 7 layers deep. That’s a lot of trips! (and weddings, and soccer games, and…)

Without further ado, here are the 4 best reasons why you should try out the Organizer and how it’s a ginormous step up over the Legacy way of doing things. And since we’re intent on sharing tips, there’s a few of those thrown in to help you find your way around, too.

Read the complete tutorial >>

P.S. Are you still using Legacy SmugMug and want to try the new Organizer? Get started now by migrating your account, or read our FAQ for answers to the most common questions longtime SmugMuggers have asked.

1. January 10, 2014 at 11:27 pm

All these new features are great; however, I’m still waiting on the ability to have watermark free thumbnails like the legacy version. Please implement this option sooner than later. Thanks again for all the hard work!

• January 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hi Chris and thanks for the awesome feedback. You’re not alone and we really appreciate you coming out and telling us that the watermark may not be as welcome on thumbnails. Keep it coming!

2. January 12, 2014 at 12:50 pm

To me, one of the most important things (lost with the migration from legacy), is the ability to collect, or copy (not just move) multiple photos to another gallery!

• January 13, 2014 at 9:35 am

Hi Mark, you can definitely still collect photos in the new SmugMug! We’ve just moved the button to sit with other “share” features, so open any photo in the lightbox and click the box with the arrow. You should see the Collect option at the bottom of the list.

You can also copy photos in the new SmugMug. Again, open the lightbox and this time click the wrench icon. Make a Copy is under the “Edit” menu. Let us know if there’s anything else you have trouble with!

• January 13, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thank you for your reply. I know you mean well, but I GET ALL THAT.

Per my original post, here’s what you CAN’T do. You CAN’T do MULTIPLE PHOTOS AT ONCE. You have to do them ONE AT A TIME. And that is a huge time–sucker, not to mention tedious. It’s also tedious to keep explaining this—no one seems to get it. LOL.

If I want to COPY or COLLECT 20 photos from my “EVERYTHING” gallery to a “Monochrome” Gallery, I don’t WANT to do it one at a time!

Go ahead, try it yourself. Collect twenty photos. Try not to stick a pen in your ear after the first 10. We don’t want to lose you.
        :-)

~Mark

• Sharon
      January 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Agree with Mark on the need to collect, copy and move multiple photos at once. How do you not understand how important this is for many of your users? What about people who want to email photos to SmugMug and then move them to another gallery and not keep them in the email gallery? I’m very sorry I migrated, since you don’t seem to understand this basic functionality need and now I can’t go back.

• Ann SmugMug Educator
      January 24, 2014 at 8:13 am

Hi Mark and Sharon
      For details, check http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1937531&postcount=1
      Hope that brightens your day!

3. January 13, 2014 at 10:06 am

Mark Petruzzi :

Thank you for your reply. I know you mean well, but I GET ALL THAT.

:-)

~Mark

Oops! Sorry, Mark — it’s still pre-coffee Monday morning out here so we missed the operative word “multiple” in your original post. Got it, and thanks for clarifying!

4. January 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Mark, I am also desperately waiting for the MULTIPLE COLLECT function. Please, SmugMug, let us know via newsletter as soon as you implemented it! Cheers, Gunther

• January 17, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hi Gunther, you can sure count on it! Thanks for your support.

5. Derek Kennedy
    January 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Come on SM, we,your customers, are demanding and STILL waiting for a new photo collecting feature.the one we used on legacyw as very kludgy but we dont have anyhting now other that to implement and use key words – something we do t want to do. Enough is enough already. Ive been waiting months on dgrin for anyone from sm to actually say anything on aNy of the forums ive commented on Concerning this feature

6. Geoff
    January 16, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Mark Petruzzi :

me too !

Got to agree with this feedback – it’s a pain for

7. January 17, 2014 at 12:17 am

“One of the nicest features of the Organizer is the ability to edit your galleries and photos in bulk” So why not add the collecting feature to the Organizer? Thus you can create, manage, arrange, move AND collect your photo’s (and folders, pages and galleries?)

8. Anonymous
    January 17, 2014 at 5:14 am

I am surprised SmugMug is highlighting the new organizer. As it simply isn’t ready for production yet. One example: If I select multiple photos and then, in the new organizer, click on the “edit” wrench / “Captions & Keywords”, I end up in the LEGACY “Edit captions & keywords” dialogue. This isn’t a cosmetic problem, because the old tool knows NOTHING about titles, only about captions and keywords.

Therefore, it is NOT possible to use the new organizer to edit titles, possibly the most important single feature in any organizer.

What’s worse even is that new smugmug has a contorted interface to edit single image metadata: Click the edit wrench / move mouse to “Edit” / move mouse to “Photo Details” / click / change title / click “Save” for each and every photo! Much worse than legacy SM.

And still SM comes and sends out mass email to highlight this immature organizer? I am surprised …

Falk

• January 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

Hi Falk and all, thanks for your feedback! We appreciate it and know that while it may be frustrating to not have every feature you need instantly, we’ve got a lot of great improvements like bulk Collecting on our hit list. We’ve been putting out quite a few new features and improvements to existing ones since we launched the new SmugMug, and we intend to keep doing so. Thanks again and keep your eyes on this space for updates.

9. January 17, 2014 at 7:36 am

It’s ironic that I can select multiple photos from a gallery and publish them to Facebook but can’t copy (publish?) them to another gallery.

My assumption is that in order to save storage space SM has purposely chosen to make it difficult to store the same image in more than one gallery. However the fact of the matter is that if I have a compelling reason to do so there’s nothing to stop me from uploading the same images as often as I want to as many galleries as I deem necessary.

So why not make it easy to simply copy a few images from one gallery to another on an as needed basis?

Also, how hard would it be to include “Title” along with “Captions & Keywords” in the Gallery Tools.

I honestly wonder if the people who build the site ever actually try to use it as a real world customer. It seems roughly akin to engineers designing a car that they will never have to work on in the field.

• January 17, 2014 at 8:58 am

Hi John, all of us are active SmugMug customers, for sure. :) It sounds like you’re asking for the same thing that the other commenters are looking for (that is, bulk Collect Photos) and it’s certainly on our radar. We’re sorry that feature didn’t make it in when we first shipped the Organizer and now we know how great the need is now that folks like you are speaking up. Thanks for the feedback!

• Derek Kennedy
        January 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Ive been asking for bulk collecting since the new sm rolled out. 99.9% of the time I Get zero answer so how about actually giving us, your paying customers, an actual answer other than “its on our radar”? WHEN, if ever, canweexpect this feature?

10. Sarge...
    January 18, 2014 at 5:18 am

I can drag and drop multiple photos through Firefox but not with Safari

• Ann SmugMug Educator
      January 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hi Sarge
      We support Safari on Macs. Make sure that your up to date with browser versions. If you are, contact our heroes for help to troubleshoot this problem.

11. January 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Derek Kennedy :

Hi Derek, we know it’s frustrating to not get a date but we are unfortunately not permitted to give ETAs for things that we have in development. Stay tuned!

12. Derek Kennedy
    January 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Its not as frustrating when compared to the basically zero response from sm about it. This is the first if heard from sm about this subject in *months*.

13. Ann SmugMug Educator
    January 24, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hey folks. Many of the comments here are asking for a way to bulk collect photos to other galleries. The Bulk Collect from within a gallery was released late yesterday. Go check it out!
    For details, check http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1937531&postcount=1

Hope this brightens some of your days. Holler with questions!

14. Daniel Mahoney
    January 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I’m confused…… does any of this allow us to “click and drag” different galleries that are on our home page to different positions on our home page? OK, if so, where or how do I find out…how.
    Thank you.

• Ann SmugMug Educator
      January 31, 2014 at 7:33 am

Hi Daniel
      I see that right now, on your homepage you have a multiple photos block set to display photos you choose. Those will be displayed in the order that you choose them. If you had a gallery content block on your homepage set to display the order from the organizer then you would use drag and drop IN the organizer to arrange your galleries (or photos or folders – whichever content you are displaying). Hope that helps.

15. January 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Not sure if this has been addressed but how do move multiple images at the same time when organizing a gallery? With the old Smugmug I could select say 20 images out of 300 and move them from the bottom to the top. Now I can only move one at a time, which is very time consuming. Maybe I’m missing something. Thanks for your help.

• Ann SmugMug Educator
      January 31, 2014 at 7:23 am

Hi David
      You can move/arrange multiple photos at a time in the organizer. Select the images that you want to move by clicking them (use the control/command button to keep them selected) and then drag the group of photos to the new location in the gallery or to a new gallery. Hope that helps.