Home > bug fixes, Galleries, Maps, new features, photography, Privacy, release notes, SmugMug > Release Notes: Watermark Improvements, Gallery Privacy Tweaks and In-Line Info Editing

Wondering what’s new at SmugMug? Here’s the latest on the most important and noticeable changes you’ll see around your site.

The Privacy Name Tweak

We’ve made a small change to the names of your various gallery privacy options. Instead of “Public,” “Unlisted,” and “Private,” you’ll now see the following, designed to remind you who gets to see your gallery at each setting:

• Public
  • Unlisted (Anyone with the link)
  • Private (Only Me)

Remember: This doesn’t affect the functionality of these privacy settings, so there’s no action needed on your part. We just wanted each setting to be crystal clear to everyone in one glance.

Limit Watermarks to Larger Sizes

If you’ve ever wanted your big, beautiful photos watermarked but don’t want your gallery’s photo tiles showing it, this one’s for you! You’ll now find a new option in your custom watermarks manager that lets you set a minimum display size onto which they will be applied.

For example: Suppose your homepage displays your photos in grid format with “Medium” sized thumbnails. If you don’t want your custom watermarks showing on them, you can set the “Smallest Size” setting for your watermark for Large and up.  Clean thumbs, FTW!

Plus, the SmugMug default “Proof” watermark will now only apply to “Large” display sizes and up.

As always, changes you make to your custom watermarks don’t automatically show up across your site. So if you want to begin using this feature, be sure to re-apply watermarks to your photos in bulk. (Hint: Your site-wide organizer can help you with this.)

Add or Change Titles, Captions, and Keywords On the Fly

You can now quickly add or edit your photo details (title, caption, and keywords) in the new SmugMug while you’re browsing your galleries, all without opening a gallery menu or the site-wide organizer. Click on the little pencil icon that appears when you mouse over the area under your pics to open a quick editor. Then type in your text.

Find it here:

When clicked, you’ll see this:

This simple text editor will appear in galleries of SmugMug and Journal styles, as well as in any Lightbox in all gallery styles.

Hot tip: This also works on mobile, so you can tidy up your site without being tied to your desk.

Other fixes and improvements:

• Maps  now allow you to use your mouse scroll to zoom in and out.
  • We’ve combined your photo map and your photo info (EXIF) panels for a single, clean info panel.
  • We’ve dramatically sped up the amount of time it takes for us to generate custom image sizes that you request.

That’s all for now. More soon!

1. March 25, 2014 at 2:57 pm

The smallest size to watermark to is GREAT!!! Thanks so much.

2. March 26, 2014 at 5:36 am

if i allow the option “get a link” , for sharing my pic, it ‘s opened in the web navigator , without watermark and right button dissabled, this is a big problem for me!

• March 26, 2014 at 9:47 am

Hi Pilar, can you shoot our Support Heroes an email with a link to the image where you’ve done this and you’re not seeing the watermark? Get a Link should link to watermarked copies of your images — as long as you’ve set your watermarks to the correct size. But we’ll be happy to check your settings for you.

However, Right Click Protection only works on photos in your own SmugMug site, and this is part of the reason why we always recommend that you use multiple methods of image protection, and don’t just rely on the one. You can embed your photos on other sites like blogs, but RCP will only work when the visitor visits your own SmugMug pages.

Hope this helps!

3. March 26, 2014 at 9:40 am

Now if we could rename the files that would be awesome.

4. March 26, 2014 at 10:20 am

I would love to be able to see the passwords I’ve created for my galleries when I’m logged into my pro account…. I hadn’t written down the passwords for galleries I’d created before the changeover I as I could always access them when I was logged in. Could this be an option please? I don’t see the need for password security when I’m in my account.

• Kim McAvoy
      March 27, 2014 at 4:44 am

Agree totally. It’s very annoying not to be able to see the passwords.

• March 27, 2014 at 2:06 pm

100% agreement!!

• MV
        April 6, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I second (or third) this…As an administratior, we need the password visible to us.

• Brad Heckman
      August 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

Opt in button?
      Then everybody’s happy, no?

• August 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

Hi Dave, Kim, and everyone else. We do hear from folks who think it’s a bit overkill for us to not display your own passwords to you, the owner, but we covered all of our reasons in this post when the “Heartbleed” bug came out: http://news.smugmug.com/2014/02/07/how-to-avoid-leaking-sensitive-photos/

In short, we’ve stopped storing any of your passwords at all on SmugMug, so that there’s never a risk of that info being stolen in the event of a security breach. We understand that this cause a little extra trouble for you if you use a lot of gallery passwords, and I’m sorry. You can always use the password hint field to set a reminder, which is a great tool.

Thanks for weighing in!

5. March 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

It would be nice after customizing watermark to be able to apply in on galleries and folders. It is painful to select images in gallery by gallery and changing watermarks.

• March 26, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi Petr and thanks for this great feedback. Adding higher-level bulk actions like watermarking is on our radar!

6. March 26, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Watermarks are a pain! but something as a white thin cross line across the image, similar to this is Much More Effective. Here is an example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5mncqrte4eejef/watermark.jpg
    (disregard the black rectangular on the bottom right corner)

• March 26, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Watermarks when as a logo or name effectively turn stolen photos into marketing material. Not the best result, but something for the effort.

• Peter B. Blaikie
      May 5, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Give me 3 minutes and I’ll make that white X watermark disappear, once I’ve sucked the image into my compooter. I don’t think it’s an effective deterrent.

7. March 26, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I have checked that the HIDE OWNER is OFF. None of my photos are close to 801px on the longest side. Watermarks is still greyed out. I have a client waiting for her gallery right now and I can’t produce it without the watermarking!!!!

• March 26, 2014 at 3:25 pm

And mysteriously the WATERMARK option is now available.

• March 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Hey Travis, it sounds like you got things figured out. Give our Heroes a shout if you’re still having any trouble!

• Travis
          March 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I would like to know if this was a bug that was fixed or something that I should expect in the future. Work flow is always vital and this glitch was more than annoying. You guys always ROCK when there is an issue to be resolved.

• March 27, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi Travis, without any further details about the gallery and hearing more about what you were doing/seeing, unfortunately we can’t know what was causing that issue or if it was a weird bug. If you see it again please contact our Support Heroes right away, thanks!

8. March 27, 2014 at 2:08 am

Great improvements, specially the Add or Change Titles, Captions, and Keywords On the Fly feature.

9. March 27, 2014 at 11:49 am

so you can maximize watermarks-but I want to minimize your copyright watermark, so it can be on every image, but really small- how do I do that. Your smallest was way too large.
    and how about your giving us pros more choice of watermarks.
    possible??

• March 27, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi wildrose, there isn’t a way to edit the default PROOF watermark’s size or placement, but you can always create your own watermark and style it however you wish. If you’ve never done this before, we have a step by step tutorial here:

And if you prefer, we created a gallery of sample watermarks that you can just download and use. The gallery is linked from that tutorial but here’s the direct link:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690793 (the first few are example photos showing how they will look placed on real images)

We hope this helps, but as always if you’re shaving any trouble at all setting up watermarks or getting them to look right, please talk to our Support Heroes!

10. March 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Love the Captioning and Keywording features! I wish Lightroom would do something like this. Will the captions and keywords reverse sync back to Lr via the Plugin?

• March 27, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi Brian! Unfortunately if you originally added the captions and keywords via SmugMug, they won’t sync back to your LR catalog, but if you did add them originally through LR they should. Hope this helps and good luck with your training!

11. March 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Now if we could only edit our Quick Settings.

• Jim
      March 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Agreed. Over the years I’ve accumulated some no longer useful quick settings. I’d like to delete these and edit others.

12. March 28, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Centimeters, centimeters, centimeter, please add the Size conversion feature like the currency one… A big share of market works in centimeters not in inches! I don’t think is so difficult…

• March 31, 2014 at 11:43 am

Riccardo, thanks for the feedback. This does make a lot of sense!

13. wildrose
    March 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

so watermark is great, however doing each existing older galleries is a pain in the…
    Smugmug, how about letting us mark all existing galleries with our watermark -all at once, just as we can do other choices all at once for multiple galleries.
    How about it???

14. March 29, 2014 at 2:56 am

This is great! I have been wanting this watermark update for a while. Thank You!!

15. March 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I have changed my watermark to be applied to only xlarge and my homepage images to small and yet still the watermark appears on my homepage?????

• March 30, 2014 at 8:23 pm

And the same on my portfolio page, even though I have landscape small images the watermark still appears on some of the images (not all)! Really quite frustrating