Making Watermarks Easier Than Ever for Pros
If you haven’t already heard, we recently released some new options to the way you apply watermarks to your images, but we’ve gone ahead and taken it one step further.
In the New SmugMug, you can now create, choose, edit and apply your custom watermarks all from a single location. Gone are the days of choosing your logo image from within a gallery, then tweaking it in your Account Settings.
Your New Home Base for Watermarks
You’ll still open your Account Settings to see your watermarks alongside your other pro branding tools. But now you’ll find a gorgeous, brand-new, edge-to-edge interface with a large sample photo in center, and all your watermarks in a column down the right-hand side:
Click any of your watermark previews to try it on for size. Or click the “+ Create” button at top to select a new graphic (that you’ve already designed and uploaded) for use as a fresh new watermark.
There’s even a handy button at the bottom to change the sample image to something brighter, darker, or vertical. This is a great way to get an idea of how the orientation or brightness of a photo will affect how your watermark looks.
And as always, you can hit the universal wrench or trash icons under each of your existing watermarks to edit and delete them, respectively.
Check out our updated help pages to get the complete details about watermarks and how they work. You’ll also notice that we’ve changed the way you edit Printmarks in exactly the same way, since Watermarks and Printmarks are very similar features.
Watermarks, in a nutshell
New to Watermarks? Here are a few important things to know:
- New custom watermarks default to size Large and up. You can specify a different minimum size in the settings.
- Watermarks are nondestructive, so your prints won’t include them.
- Watermarks will need to be re-applied to your photos to display any changes you make.
- You can have as many different watermarks on your site as you wish.
- Watermarks are available on Portfolio and Business accounts only.
About SmugMug’s Printmarks
And if you’ve never used our Printmarks feature and are intrigued to try it, here’s a quick rundown of what they are:
- Printmarks are like watermarks for the physical prints you sell.
- Although we recommend you use large graphics to ensure your Printmarks print well, they are limited to covering a small fixed percentage of the print area.
- Printmarks are great for applying your artist signature, a team logo, or a wedding date to your prints.
- If you change your mind, Printmarks can be removed during Proof Delay.
- The Printmarks feature is also available on Portfolio and Business accounts only.
So if you were looking for an excuse to freshen up your Watermarks and Printmarks, now’s the time! We hope that these changes make it more enjoyable and easier to manage the nuts and bolts of your photography business.
Let us know what you think! And, as always, stay tuned because there’s always more good stuff coming down the pipes from Smuggy HQ.
Links to great pro business tips we’ve shared:
- Encylopedia of the (SmugMug) Watermark
- How to Avoid Crippling Photo Theft
- 8 Smug Tools That Earn Your More Money
- 5 Simple Steps to Build Your Brand