Did you know SmugMug has a huge library of totally free tutorial videos available 24/7, 365 days of the year? It’s true. We’ve stashed all our webinar archives, tutorial videos, and great playlists on YouTube, the most popular video community on the web, so you can sit back and become a Master SmugMugger in no time.
Even better – we’re always adding new tutorials based on your requests. Today we feature eight brand-new videos, each of them under four minutes so you can get informed and get back to taking great pictures.
- How to Add a Contact Form (1:59)
- How to Edit the Navigation Menu (2:09)
- How to Add Content Blocks (2:08)
- Advanced Photo Editing with PicMonkey (2:26)
- Organizing for a Family Photo Website (3:57)
- Organizing for a Pro Photog Website (3:59)
- How to Set a Custom Right-Click Protection Message (1:21)
- 5 Settings to Protect Your Photos (3:11)
And because we’re rolling into the season of giving, remember that we’ve recently released a “How to Buy Prints and Downloads” video ( a short version and a full-length version), perfect for any SmugMuggers looking to help their friends, their mom, or their clients place orders without a hitch.
If you don’t see a video that you can’t live without, just tell us via email or in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
Don’t let your photos die in the digital graveyard! Even though we live in the iPhone age and highly recommend that pro photographers offer digital downloads as part of their business models, we think that a trusty, traditional, physical print still has a place in every home.
Here are four reasons why.
1) Prints Bring Photos to Life
Prints have presence. There’s never any doubt about that, as any framed photo or tangible image in your home draws the eye every single time. It’s easy to dismiss the importance of a physical print when you’re not actually faced with one, but once you unwrap your print, feel the weight of it in your hands and see the light shining from its surface, you’ll see what we mean.
Particularly if you opt for metallic paper finish, or one of SmugMug’s modern print options like MetalPrints and Box Frame Prints. Guaranteed to stop every guest in their tracks.
2) Not Everyone is Online
Facebook may hold its fair share of friends with whom you share photos, but we’re willing to bet that your social group isn’t 100% online. For all the people you care about who aren’t on the web, prints are the medium of choice.
Whether this includes your mom, your grandpa, or your pen pal from 3rd grade abstaining from the internet, we’re pretty sure they’ll be delighted to receive a print, album or even a photo book in the mail.
3) Rare Means Care
Since we’re all guilty of taking digital photos for granted, prints are rare and (by basic laws of economics) will command more attention because of their relative scarcity. You know you’ll already captivate your online audience with your unlimited SmugMug galleries, but we’re pretty sure one meaningful print in your hallway will grab their attention, too.
For those of you looking for the most bang for your buck, prints are perfect for you. And who wouldn’t want something special hanging on their wall?
4) Your Memories Exist Even If Your Computer Explodes
Imagine you’re rummaging around your desk and find a priceless snapshot from 1992 that you took on one of those disposable cardboard cameras. Wow!
It’s definitely easier to drag and drop your files around folders on your hard drive (or in your SmugMug Organizer), but real photos are a joy to unearth. While not completely immune to discoloration, fire or fading, so many threads of history have been woven into a larger tale because of photos, crisp and bent with handwritten notes scrawled along the back.
Wouldn’t you want physical proof that you lived, even after the ‘Off’ button was pressed?
Let Your Photos Grow Up on SmugMug
We have four great print labs for you to choose from at SmugMug. EZ Prints is available for Basic subscribers, and Bay Photo, WHCC, and Loxley Colour are additional options (with additional print and mounting choices) for Portfolio and Business accounts.
To see the complete list of all print sizes and products available on your account, simply log in and view your Account Settings > Business tab to view your Pricelists by lab. Basic and Power Users can just click the Buy Photos button in any gallery to open the available items in the shopping cart.
Print your photos. No matter if you’re just snapping moments on your iPhone or documenting in RAW with a top-of-the-line DSLR, whether you just snap photos of your friends or if you’re a full-time pro, it’s up to you to make the most out of your life. So buy a print, hang it on the wall and keep those memories close at hand.
You won’t regret it.
Links to love:
- Pros, don’t leave money on the table. Sell digital downloads
- SmugMug’s four great print labs
- Paper pixel peepers, look here for full details on our print specs
- Photo Extras at Bay Photo: Frames, mountings, finishes and more
- Turn your SmugMug galleries into custom photo books in minutes
- 4 Reasons Why the Organizer is the Best Thing to Happen To Your Photos
- How to price, sell, and make money on SmugMug
- All about your Account Settings
Refer Yer Mateys fer a GoPro Hero3+ Blackbeard Edition
Need slo-mo video fer when ye walk th’ plank? Then tell yer buckos about SmugMug and get ‘em t’ join th’ crew, because every referral ye bring enters ye t’ win th’ queen o’ plunder: th’ super-lightweight, super-fast frame rate, super-durable, all-around-super GoPro Hero3+ Black edition camera.
If ye don’t think that yer hearties want a SmugMug account ‘cause they’re not pro photographers, we’ve provided jolly reasons why ye should let them in on yer secret, anyway. We all take pictures, ‘n could use a better, safer hold t’ stowe ‘em away.
Every month ‘til th’ end o’ 2014, we’re giving one GoPro away t’ one random matey, an’ tossing everyone who refers one scallywag (aye, all ye pirates) ‘to a drawin’ for th’ grand prize: a trip t’ th’ good ship SmugMug, so ye can be arrr guest o’ honor fer the day. Ye can get a preview o’ wha’s in store fer ye, an’ the full contest rules ‘n details here.
A Salute to August’s Staunchest Pirate
No quarter! Seven seas swashbuckler Christopher Michel be th’ winner o’ our August drawing. Cast off an’ see his travel photography, ’cause it’s a big kick in th’ knickers for inspiration.
Set th’ sails, Christopher! We hope yer new GoPro gets a workout on yer next adventure.
With a yo, ho, ho and a DSLR,
The Crew of the Jolly Ship SmugMug
(In English: We’re giving away a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera each month to one lucky SmugMuggle who refers friends to SmugMug. You’ll find details about the contest and how to win on our Refer-a-Friend info site.)
We’re link lubbers:
You may get confused about the difference between the two, so here’s a cheat sheet to help you get better acquainted with each one, and some ideas for how you’d use them in your everyday photo lives.
How are Collected Photos and Make a Copy Different?
Both of these features are found in your galleries underneath each photo. And both will duplicate your image. But that’s where the similarity ends.
Collect Photos puts a virtual copy of your image, be it in the same gallery, in a different gallery, or into someone else’s gallery (on another account, if you allow this). The original continues to live where it lives, and any changes you make to the original, such as adding keywords and changing the watermark or cropping, will show up on all virtual copies.
Make a Copy creates an exact duplicate file, which can then be moved to a different location on your own site. The two files then behave completely independently of each other, meaning that any changes made to the original won’t impact the copy, and vice versa.
When to Use Collect Photos
Collect Photos is perfect for curating beautiful, succinct groups of images to tell your story. After all, SmugMug’s unlimited and you’re probably emptying whole memory cards into your galleries. With the power of Collect Photos, that’s totally OK!
Here’s some ways you can use it:
- Upload all your images into unlisted galleries organized by date, and collect just the ones from around town into your public Street Photography gallery.
- Collect just your best guest images from the wedding to share with the bride’s family.
- Collect any time you want a photo displayed in multiple galleries on your site, and you want to be able to update the keywords and caption on it everywhere it appears.
Tip: Pros! Collect Photos is the power behind our Favorites feature in Events, which allows your top clients to choose the photos they love best out of your proof galleries. See if Events are for you.
When to Use Make a Copy
Make a Copy is fabulous for whenever you want to try something out on a photo that you’ve uploaded into a gallery, but you’re not quite sure if you want to lose the original.
Some example opportunities:
- When you’re creating a new custom Watermark or Printmark and want to know how it looks next to your existing marks.
- If you think that your pic may look better with a teeny bit of cropping.
- Any time you’re playing around with color effects in your Photo Tools. (Converting a color photo to B&W is one popular example)
Tip: You can also edit your SmugMug photos with PicMonkey, but they’ll offer to automatically save a copy so you don’t have to worry about it.
We hope this installment of Smug Tips comes in handy and helps you share and enjoy your photos even more. Confused about a feature, need help with your workflow, or just have an idea for more tips? Let us know in the comments!
- See more Smug Tips in the archives
- Collecting photos: What, how, and why
- Photo Tools, where you’ll find Make a Copy
- How to change keywords, title, or captions
- How to create, apply, and change your Watermarks
- (Permanently!) Cropping your uploaded photos
- Moving folders, photos, and galleries around your site
- Let your guests mark their favorite photos
- Why Events are best for your business
- Printmarks: Leave your stamp on your prints
- How to apply color effects to your photos
- Edit your SmugMug photos for free with PicMonkey
Just a quick announcement to congratulate (and thank!) the summer winners of our ongoing Refer-a-Friend contest. If you’ve just tuned in, we’re celebrating all the great photo lovers in our family with a contest that runs through the end of 2o14.
In addition to getting 20% credit each time you bring someone new into the SmugMug world, each referral enters you to win a deliciously daring GoPro Hero 3+ camera, AND a chance be our guest of honor at SmugMug HQ. Full contest details and rules are right here.
Thanks so much for sharing us with fellow photo phreaks, and we hope that you’ll be getting out there and capturing your next adventure soon!
Merry Friday, dear SmugMuggles! To send you off into a happy weekend, here’s an update on the things we’ve launched in the last few weeks.
In case you missed it, we announced the ability for Pros to customize their Right-Click Protection message in the new SmugMug, so if you have a Power, Portfolio, or Business account, don’t forget to check that out. We love that feature and all the opportunities it opens for pros.
Snazz Up Your Slideshows with 14 (!!) New Transitions
We brought you background slideshows a while back to rave reviews. But we only gave you two transitional options to pick from: “Fade” and “None.” Yawn.
Today, you’ve got 14 more:
- Zoom In
- Zoom Out
- Zoom In/Out
- Zoom Out/In
- Slide & Zoom
- Slide Down
- Slide Up
- Slide Up/Down
- Slide Left
- Slide Right
- Slide Left/Right
- Flip Down
- Flip Up
- Flip Left
- Flip Right
You’ll find these in both your background slideshow and in the Slideshow content block. If you or your viewers are using an older browser that doesn’t support some of these transitions, we’ll use the ever-dependable “Fade.”
Safer Password Resets for Safer… Resetting
If you ever need to reset your account login password, we now have a more secure method of resetting it. Click the “Forgot your password?” link on the login page and we’ll send you a link to create a new one.
As always, ask our Support Heroes if you have any questions or hiccups.
Shortcuts and Bulk Improvements in Photo Tools
Who doesn’t love saving time? We added a few quick ways to edit your photos faster in the recently improved Photo Tools editor. Here they are:
- Cmd+Opt+S / Ctrl+Alt+S = Save changes (shows in single editing and bulk editing mode)
- Cmd+Opt+N / Ctrl+Alt+N = Save changes and move to the next image (shows only in single image editing)
- Cmd+Opt+C / Ctrl+Alt+C = Cancel changes (text shows only in bulk editing mode, but shortcut is also available in single editing)
And you don’t have to memorize them, either: If you’ve made any changes to your images, we’ll display the shortcuts over the Save and Cancel buttons, so you don’t have to dive for your mouse. Unless you want to.
Tip: We’ve got keyboard shortcuts for browsing galleries and photos, too. See the full list here, along with a few other secret Smug features you may not have known you already have.
You may have noticed that we also merged the title, caption, and keywords tools into one mega-tool. There’s lots more prepending/appending options and helpful text prompts that will guide you through adding multiple entries.
Until next time! Have a great weekend and don’t forget to bring your camera with you. :)
- Change your Right-Click message and don’t slap customers on the wrist
- How to reset your login password
- Add a slideshow anywhere on your site
- Changing your site background to display slideshows and photos
- All about your many Image Tools
- Keyboard shortcuts to get your browsing at lightning speed
- Add a title, caption, and keyword to your photos