Merry Friday, dear SmugMuggles! To send you off into a happy weekend, here’s an update on the things we’ve launched in the last few weeks.
In case you missed it, we announced the ability for Pros to customize their Right-Click Protection message in the new SmugMug, so if you have a Power, Portfolio, or Business account, don’t forget to check that out. We love that feature and all the opportunities it opens for pros.
Snazz Up Your Slideshows with 14 (!!) New Transitions
We brought you background slideshows a while back to rave reviews. But we only gave you two transitional options to pick from: “Fade” and “None.” Yawn.
Today, you’ve got 14 more:
- Zoom In
- Zoom Out
- Zoom In/Out
- Zoom Out/In
- Slide & Zoom
- Slide Down
- Slide Up
- Slide Up/Down
- Slide Left
- Slide Right
- Slide Left/Right
- Flip Down
- Flip Up
- Flip Left
- Flip Right
You’ll find these in both your background slideshow and in the Slideshow content block. If you or your viewers are using an older browser that doesn’t support some of these transitions, we’ll use the ever-dependable “Fade.”
Safer Password Resets for Safer… Resetting
If you ever need to reset your account login password, we now have a more secure method of resetting it. Click the “Forgot your password?” link on the login page and we’ll send you a link to create a new one.
As always, ask our Support Heroes if you have any questions or hiccups.
Shortcuts and Bulk Improvements in Photo Tools
Who doesn’t love saving time? We added a few quick ways to edit your photos faster in the recently improved Photo Tools editor. Here they are:
- Cmd+Opt+S / Ctrl+Alt+S = Save changes (shows in single editing and bulk editing mode)
- Cmd+Opt+N / Ctrl+Alt+N = Save changes and move to the next image (shows only in single image editing)
- Cmd+Opt+C / Ctrl+Alt+C = Cancel changes (text shows only in bulk editing mode, but shortcut is also available in single editing)
And you don’t have to memorize them, either: If you’ve made any changes to your images, we’ll display the shortcuts over the Save and Cancel buttons, so you don’t have to dive for your mouse. Unless you want to.
Tip: We’ve got keyboard shortcuts for browsing galleries and photos, too. See the full list here, along with a few other secret Smug features you may not have known you already have.
You may have noticed that we also merged the title, caption, and keywords tools into one mega-tool. There’s lots more prepending/appending options and helpful text prompts that will guide you through adding multiple entries.
Until next time! Have a great weekend and don’t forget to bring your camera with you. :)
- Change your Right-Click message and don’t slap customers on the wrist
- How to reset your login password
- Add a slideshow anywhere on your site
- Changing your site background to display slideshows and photos
- All about your many Image Tools
- Keyboard shortcuts to get your browsing at lightning speed
- Add a title, caption, and keyword to your photos
… and use your powers for good, not evil.
A quick update this morning for pros who use right-click protection to stop thieves from grabbing your pics: we’ve added the ability to customize the message that displays when viewers right click your protected photos.
This is something that you could do using CSS customization in Old SmugMug, but we think it’s such an important piece of building a great experience on your site, we wanted to make it drop-dead simple for you to do this in the new, beautiful SmugMug.
Get It Set Up
Visit your Account Settings and look under your Privacy tab. Scroll down a bit and you’ll see a brand new “Right-Click Message” field. Fill that out, save your changes, and test right-clicking on photos in your protected galleries to see how it looks. Here’s more help.
Tip: We recommend being firm but friendly. If you have prints for sale, ask them to look for the Buy button to grab one of your photos in a legit way.
A Word About Image Theft
As always, we want to share some helpful info about image protection and what to expect. After all, if you’re paying us for a pro-level account, you should get the best bang for your buck!
We hear a lot from ambitious pros who rely on tools like Right-Click Protection way more heavily than they probably should. Why’s this bad? Right-Click Protection is just a deterrent, and if someone really wants to download a free copy of your image, there are several things they’ll try. For example, they can snap a screen grab, so be sure to use the full suite of image protection tools if you’re really worried about this. Here’s a quick review of your options:
- Right-Click Protection. Displays a popup window when any part of the gallery is clicked. Fabulous when coupled with a warm, friendly message encouraging fans to buy.
- Display Size. Limits the size of the images viewers can see. Great for foiling screen grabbers.
- Watermarking. Logo or text placed over your display copies. Add your URL, enable sharing, and you’ve got yourself a ton of free advertising for your biz. The best bit? Your prints still print clean.
We hope this helps those of you who are new to SmugMug, are new to photography, or who just haven’t fiddled with your site lately and are looking to brush up on the basics.
And as always, be sure to let us know if you have questions, problems, or just need some advice getting your site working the way you want. We’re here.
Hey, Smuggers! It’s been a little while since we’ve had a Release Notes post, but we’ve been heads-down and hard at work. Here are some of the most recent things we’ve pushed live. Chances are, many of you have already have noticed a few of these around your site.
New: Duplicate Your Own Orders
Due to popular demand, you can now re-order any previous print order you’ve placed at SmugMug. To do this, simply look for your order confirmation email and visit your order page, then find the link at the top:
Clicking that link will drop the same items from that order into your shopping cart — no need to re-crop or tweak your color correction settings. If you already had other items in your cart, you’ll see those there and can check out in one fell swoop.
New: Getting Started Video
We’ve been busy creating great new help content to get you up and running ASAP, so if you haven’t already seen it (and need it), watch our brand-new video that gets you going in just over two minutes.
You may have seen it during your 14-day trial, but if not, find the video under the help menu in the top right corner of your logged-in SmugMug header.
Improvements: Bulk Add to Cart
When you click Buy > Photos From This Gallery, you’ll see a shiny new screen that matches the rest of SmugMug’s new design. We’ve cleaned up the whole screen and fixed a lot of old code under the hood so it’s now smoother, faster, and easier to buy lots of photos in one go.
And everything else:
- You can now opt out of receiving those emails we send if your locked galleries get too many failed password attempts. Find that in your Account Settings, under the “Me” tab.
- We’ve added new “helpies” that pop up and guide those of you trying out the new SmugMug. They’ll guide you through a few key features and get you started, so don’t be shy.
- Moving photos around in your site-wide Organizer is now warp-speed fast. Given that you can just click and drag photos to move them around your site, now there’s zero excuse for being disorganized!
- The info bar in your lightbox view has been cleaned up even more so it looks good and stays out of your way… until you mouse around in there and bring it up.
- We’ll now display a banner at the top of your gallery if you’ve set Hide Owner, much like we already do for unlisted and passworded galleries.
Enjoy, and as always: Let us know what you think!