We’re not kidding. It’s finally here! We originally built the original Camera Awesome app for iPhone in 2012 and received such a huge wave of responses from mobile photographers all over the world. Since then, Camera Awesome has been downloaded by over 20 million iPhone users, but Android users asked us every single day when we’d have something for them.
Today’s your lucky day, Android!
What’s the deal? Why should I use it?
Camera Awesome is your ticket to taking great photos at any moment of the day. It’s a powerful, easy-to-use camera app perfect for photographers (but easy enough for non-photographers). It’s for creative people who love capturing their everyday memories and sharing them with those who matter most.
Unlike other camera apps, Camera Awesome combines
- a powerful, easy-to-use camera feature that helps you take fabulous photos and videos,
- a creative suite of editing tools – including the one-tap Awesomize button
- tons of filters, textures and frames
- an integrated share function that lets you save or send your photos.
You don’t need a SmugMug account to use Camera Awesome. But we recommend it because we’re all about backups, archivability and peace of mind.
See what our friend, photographer, educator and Android user Colby Brown from the Giving Lens has to say about it!
Will it work on my phone?
To hit the most popular phone models of the many out there, Camera Awesome works on the following:
* Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, Note 3 (UPDATE 11/13/13: The Galaxy SIII is now available in the Google Play Store. Go wild!)
* Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, (Nexus 5 coming soon)
* Sony Xperia Z, HTC One, LG G2 (UPDATE 12/3/13: Support added for LG G2)
* Moto X, Motorola Droid Razr
* Kindle Fire HDX 7″, 8.9″ (UPDATE 11/27/13: Now available on Amazon Apps!)
Since each phone and tablet is a special snowflake, we’ll keep adding to the list as time goes by. You can get the most up-to-date, detailed specs on our store page right here.
Where do I get it?
Right here, baby! It’s ready and waiting for you on the Google Play store.
Wait, it’s not free?
The initial (AKA iPhone) version of Camera Awesome was free to download and use, and we got a lot of feedback from users who wanted – and eventually purchased – the many premium filters and effects. With the Android version we decided to keep it simple and bundle the goodies right into the app, resulting in an easier process for you… and lots more to play with right from the start, for $2.99.
New to smartphone-ography?
Our very own world traveler, Michael Bonocore, shares his Top 10 Travel Photography Tips with Camera Awesome .
What if I have problems?
Our support heroes are standing by to lend you a hand, as always. You can also refer to our Android help page here for a basic overview of what the different symbols mean and how you can get started.
Hey, what’s this SmugMug thing?
If you’re thinking about opening your own SmugMug account to store and archive the photos you shoot on your phone (or your DSLR), you can get started right from within the Camera Awesome app. It’s totally free for two whole weeks, and when you start your account from the app we’ll even throw in a 50% discount automagically.
Thanks to all of our Android fans who waited for this! We hope you love it as much as we do.
With Apple’s latest announcements, we’re stoked to announce that Aperture and SmugMug have finally joined forces!
Yes, that’s right: You can now connect and sync your SmugMug account with your account in Aperture and easily browse, upload, download and organize all from one app.
Getting Synced With SmugMug
When you open up the new Aperture, first open up the File > Preferences and click on the “Accounts” tab. Hit the little + symbol to open up the available services dialog:
Once added, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your SmugMug account and authorize the connection. Remember that if you change your mind, you can visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Privacy and revoke permission of any previously authorized accounts.
Now you should see all of your SmugMug galleries in the Viewer on the right. You’ll still see your account listed in the Source List on the left, along with any of your local files and projects.
From here, you can:
- Manage your gallery settings for any gallery on your site
- Create new galleries on your SmugMug site
- Upload photos to new or existing SmugMug galleries
What we love: Aperture will sync down all of your SmugMug images even if they didn’t previously exist in your Aperture library. Best of all, images shared from Aperture stay synced, so if you share an image to SmugMug and then make further edits to it in Aperture, those edits will sync up to SmugMug without having to re-Share (upload) the image.
Take a look at our brand-new Aperture help page that has more info about where to find all the important bits and pieces.
We hope that all of your Mac-loving SmugMuggers find it easier than ever to edit and upload the photos you take every day and get them seen by the ones who matter most.
P.S. SmugMug has long been a part of Adobe Lightroom, and we’ve gotten a lot of requests from customers to be included in iPhoto, too. If you agree and want to see SmugMug in iPhoto, please leave feedback at Apple and tell them why! We’d love to see SmugMuggers everywhere uploading and managing their photos from everywhere that counts.
It’s that time again, happy SmugMuggers! Here’s a quick update on what we’ve updated and fixed over the last few weeks.
Choose Where to Search
This is just what the doctor ordered for all you folks who want to cordon off your viewers’ searches to a specific portion of your site. Now when you click the settings you can choose exactly which folders and galleries get searched using the input in this field.
So, for example, if you took several galleries’ worth of photos on an epic world vacation 2013, fans who are looking for photos of “elephants” in India won’t dig up photos of elephants from your local zoo. Keep in mind that the regular search tips apply, so be sure you’re up to speed.
Tip: This new setting applies to the Search Box content block ONLY, and not to the search box that appears in your site header. That one will continue to search only the page that you’re currently viewing.
NEW AdSense Content Block
We’ve never forced SmugMug customers to display ads on their site, but we do have a fair number of business customers who wanted the ability to display paid ads to their own viewers. Due to popular demand, Power, Portfolio and Business accounts now have the ability to add Google Adsense units to any page on your site using the new AdSense content block.
You can add up to three of these blocks to any page, but please refer to your AdSense Terms of Service for specific information about what you should and shouldn’t do. Enjoy!
Filenames in Organizer
You gave us a lot of feedback about those thumbnails you’re seeing in your site-wide Organizer, and how you wanted to be able to see the filenames for each and every one. It was one of those “Why didn’t we think of that?” moments, so now we’ve added in a toggle for your organizing pleasure.
Find it in the upper right corner of the browsing pane of your Organizer.
Two Slideshow Improvements
Thanks to your feedback on our forums, we’ve added a randomization option to your Slideshow content block, found under the “Display” tab of the block settings. So now you don’t have to decide which photo gets seen first.
We also brought back edge-to-edge, full screen slideshow displays. This applies to the big slideshow that appears after you hit the “full screen” button in any gallery style as well as the Slideshow content block. Note that this applies only if you have Originals enabled in the photos’ gallery settings and if your Original photo resolution is large enough to stretch across the screen. We also won’t stretch (AKA distort) images to fit screens, so you may still see some letterboxing if your image isn’t the perfect shape.
Last but never least, here are our top picks from the mix of other fixes:
- Added back “Sharpening” settings for Power User accounts.
- Properly updated the preview URL when you click Hide Owner.
- Fixed stuttering video playback in some public galleries.
- Photos in passworded galleries with external linking “Off” will display properly when collected and used as featured photos.
- Gallery privacy levels (unlisted, private, passworded) are shown in all gallery picker windows.
Till next time. Keep the feedback coming!
Autumn is kicking off to a great start. Here are the top features that we’ve added to SmugMug since our last update.
Map This in the New SmugMug
We love taking cues from your feedback, and this was one of the big ones you missed when going from legacy to the new SmugMug.
If your photos are geotagged, we’ll automatically display a little globe icon underneath it in your gallery or lightbox. Click it and you’ll see that pin highlighted on a map that displays pins for all other geotagged photos in that gallery. We’ll group the ones close together until you zoom in enough.
Gone are the old 150-pin limits – If every photo in your gallery is geotagged, we’ll pin every single one of them on your map. Special galleries like your Popular Photos, Keywords and Date are capped at 1000 pins.
One last thing: Map This now works for unlisted and passworded galleries, so anyone you share those with can enjoy browsing by location, too. Catch up on all the mappy goodness on SmugMug.
New: Google Calendar for Your Site
Busy photographers, this one’s for you. We added a new content block for Google Calendar, so you can show your fans (or clients) when you’re busy and when you’re not.
Simply drag in the content block to any page on your site, then copy your Google Calendar ID and paste it in. Voila! There’s plenty of ways to tweak the settings so that it’s exactly what you want.
You’ll also notice that we’ve created a brand-new customization section called “Services” where you’ll find the new Google Calendar content block as well as the Wufoo form block that we recently debuted.
Look to our help pages for explanation on everything you need to know about embedding your calendar, and you can find more help about Google Calendars on their site.
A Fresher Shopping Cart
Since we rolled out a new look for SmugMug, we’ve got some catching up to do on some other parts of the experience. We started with the shopping cart:
In addition to giving it a beautiful, smooth new skin to match the rest of your website, we also added more options to the sidebar to make choosing a print product a heckuva lot easier.
In fact, we’ve gotten so much feedback from you (and your customers!) to display print sizes that didn’t need cropping, so now you can just uncheck that box to see all options that don’t require any trimming.
Happy buying and selling!
New Education Site
Last but not least, we’re proud to point out the fact that this news blog may have gotten a bit quieter in the last few weeks. We’ve officially taken the extra tips, tricks, and guest posts and will be publishing them on our brand new Education Site:
The new School.smugmug.com site will be the place to go if you’re looking for photography advice, how to get the most out of your SmugMug account, money-making business tips and inspirational posts by successful SmugMug photographers. We’ll also include a complete newsletter archive, featured SmugMug photos and dates when you can talk to us next.
You should continue to watch this space for announcements about product-related stuff like release notes, bug fixes, contests and other Smuggy goodness. And, as always, our help pages are the place to go if you need help with your website.
Let us know what you think and what you’d like to see in the coming weeks both on School.smugmug.com as well as in your galleries. Cheers!
For the first time since launch, we’re offering a huge sale on our world-famous iPhone app: Normally $.99 per set, $3.99 per category or $9.99 for the whole shebang, but we’re slashing prices on the complete bundle of filters and presets. For one week only, you get everything in Camera Awesome for just $0.99.
We’ll say that again: From today (Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013) through Monday, September 9, 2013, it costs just $0.99 to get every single item in Camera Awesome.
For those of you who missed it before, that’s a total of 262,143 possible artistic combinations. How many photos have you snapped lately?
Discounts are automagically applied when you purchase the bundle in-app, so there’s no reason to wait.
New to Camera Awesome?
If you’ve lived under a rock for the last year, you may not have heard that SmugMug’s powerful iPhone and iPad photo app is called Camera Awesome. Ranked #1 Photography App in 55 countries and #1 overall app in 10 countries, it’s completely free and includes cam-tacular compositional tools, filters and presets.
You can start shooting instantly (photos and videos), edit your work and share direct to your favorite social sites like Facebook, Instagram and SmugMug.
We’ve been fixing a lot of stuff lately so we thought it’d be a good time to update you all on a few more things we’ve shipped this month. Without further ado:
Embed Videos from Vimeo
You asked, we delivered! You can now embed your Vimeo videos into your pages, in addition to SmugMug and YouTube videos. You’ll find that content block under the “Video” section of your customization menu.
Want more than just our basic contact form? No problem – the folks at Wufoo specialize in embeddable forms in all shapes, colors and sizes! If you’ve already got a Wufoo account, simply grab the shortlink they give you and look under the “Social” section of your customization menu. You’ll find the new Wufoo Form content block ready and waiting for you to paste it in.
Keep Better Tabs on Us
What’s more important than the status of SmugMug.com? Probably not a whole lot, so we’ve made it better than ever before. Check it out now and get familiar with it, so if you think you’re seeing something strange, you can peek in and see how we’re doing.
Tip: Want to know even faster? Hit the Subscribe button at the top and we’ll send you an email whenever things get exciting.
- Statcounter and Google Analytics work properly on migrated and unveiled SmugMug sites.
- Added the ability to discard your changes while in customization mode.
- Animated gifs display motion at all SmugMug sizes, not just Originals.
- Fixed UTF-8 fonts to display correctly.
- Added navigation arrows to SmugMug gallery style
- Option to hide the Slideshow button in Gallery Settings.
- Added option to add separators between your menu bar links.
- Cleaned up the lightbox so the same arrows and options show up no matter where you’re using the lightbox.
- Favicons should stick. For really-real this time.
- We smacked Smart Galleries so that they fetch new photos faster.
A huge, heartfelt thank you to all of you passionate readers out there who’ve shared your thoughts about the new SmugMug. Whether you’re Tweeting, Facebooking, Dgrinning, emailing or posting comments in our blog, we really do read every single response (even if we can’t always reply personally to every one). Change inspires great feeling in all of us, and it’s been a wild ride seeing just how the new features and tools have affected so many of you.
Since launch day we’ve been hard at work helping you get settled, cataloging your feedback, tweaking and polishing and making things that much better for you to use. So here’s the first batch of updates that gives you a closer look at some of the things we’ve shipped in the last week.
Gallery Comments are back!
When we launched, your gallery comments didn’t migrate with your photos, but we didn’t just chuck them into the trash. Now when you drop in a comments content block, click the wrench in the corner, choose a source and pull in all your previous comments from, say, your legacy guestbook gallery:
Show Off to embed slideshows
You’ve asked for an easy way to embed your photos into external sites, so we brought the Show Off feature into the new SmugMug. When you’re logged in as owner, you’ll see the “Show Off” option in the lightbox view, from the social menu. You can customize a beautiful slideshow of virtually any size to embed in webpages:
Events & Favorites
We’ve gotten a lot of feedback about this feature in the last week, so thank you to everyone who helped us track down and iron out the bumps. We have:
- … fixed issues your clients sometimes had saving and removing Favorites.
- … made it so that Event slideshows play perfectly again.
- … fixed an obscure bug so that all top-level folders display reliably in the Events gallery picker.
- Slicker, smoother video playback.
- “Auto” streams a juicy 640×480 and up.
- Are you in the EU? You’ll feel at home with our new, rule-abiding cookie consent bar.
- Presented a cleaner, new crop page on preview mode and unveiled sites.
- Upped the maximum number of Multiple Photos to 48.
Misc bug fixes
- Site Meta Title and Description SEO tools use YOUR text (not ours, unless you leave these blank).
- Tidied up the logged-out view of comments box.
- Passwords stick to your galleries, even if you move them into Public folders.
- Fixed navigation into Categories on legacy Sharegroups.
- You can set pricing on galleries before you’ve even filled them with photos.
- Gallery descriptions are visible to anyone with permissions to view your gallery.
- You can sort your Collected images in the Organizer.
Enjoy! As always, please don’t be shy about sharing what you love, what you don’t, and what you think doesn’t look quite right.
The SmugMug Family
Friends, photographers, cameramen, have we got news for you.
This morning, we pushed the button on one of the most exciting things we’ve ever built: a whole new SmugMug. We’ve dreamed about bringing you this kind of incredibly beautiful, powerful photo experience from day one and we hope that no matter what you do and who you are, you’ll love it, too.
The Biggest Launch Since 2002
We razed the walls, stripped the wiring and built a better, stronger SmugMug from the ground up. It looks better, works better and (if we did things right) it’s more intuitive and easy to use.
You’ll notice a brand-new look and feel that showcases your photos more beautifully than ever before.
We’ll notice that it’s easier to bring you lots of new features in the coming years.
Best of all, it’s all ready and waiting for you. All you have to do is try it.
Compare with the old SmugMug:
How do I use the new SmugMug? Will I lose all my stuff?
No! Unlike many other services, we’re not forcing you to ditch your existing site. You’ll have your very own secret preview mode that contains all your galleries, so that you can personalize it and get familiar with the new features. While it sounds scary, migration simply copies your website contents into a virtual sandbox that only you can see. When you’re ready, YOU unveil your changes and make it public.
In short, there are now 3 possible states of SmugMug: Non-migrated SmugMug accounts (legacy), accounts in private preview (migrated), and the new SmugMug.
- Simply log in and go here: http://www.smugmug.com/migration
We’ll ask if you’d like us to migrate your photos, memories and videos to the new SmugMug. While you experiment with the new features, your fans and clients will still see your old website, like always.
What content migrates? Your photo and video files as well as all the data associated with each: stuff like captions, keywords, geotagging, etc. If you’re a Portfolio or Business account holder, your pricing, marketing tools and pro sales will work normally during migration as well as when you’re in the new SmugMug. (No profits left behind!)
What won’t migrate? Unfortunately, advanced customizations made in the old system aren’t compatible with the new system. This was a very hard decision because we know many of you put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into customizing your sites. However, it’s so much easier to customize your site and the designs are so much more compelling, we hope you’ll forgive us.
Before I migrate, what can I expect?
Here are a few special things to consider as you’re working in preview mode:
- Migrating and unveiling is a one-way street. Once you unveil your changes you can’t go back to the old SmugMug.
- Changing gallery settings or rearranging photos will take effect on both your new and old site.
- Your visitors won’t see any rearrangements of your folders and galleries while you remain in preview mode.
- If you create new galleries in preview mode, they will be visible on your current SmugMug site in a new category called ‘Smug Preview’.
- When you unveil your new SmugMug site, the organization and customization you’ve created in preview mode will overwrite the old site settings.
Once my photos are migrated, what can I expect?
Once your photos are migrated, you’ll be able to choose from – and edit! – our 20+ beautiful layouts (“Designs”) that look stunning right out of the box. If that’s not enough, edit, create and switch between “Themes” (which are like our old Themes, but way more powerful), and drag in some of the many content blocks that make your site completely unique.
There’s so much to do and we want you to dig in yourself, so instead of overwhelming you with tips, here are our Top 3 Things We Think You Should Know:
1. You’ll always work in private. SmugMug now lets you personalize your site without your fans and clients seeing all those awkward in-between stages. And you can safely save your progress, sleep on it, and pick up right where you left off. You can also build multiple looks (holiday templates, anyone?) and swap between them with one click.
3. You get a hub. As a SmugMugger, you deserve certain privileges, like being able to see all your stuff and keep it organized. You’ve told us this was a major pain point in the old SmugMug, so we sweated bullets in order to get this part right. The brand-new Site Organizer is THE place for you to upload, drag to arrange, create galleries, folders and pages (up to 7 layers deep), bulk tweak and delete, change settings and so much more… from a familiar folder tree that you already know.
Over the next few weeks we’ll be showing you tips, examples and everything you need to get the most out of your new site. So if you’re feeling lost or need a little inspiration for creating a new look for your website, keep your eyes right here on our blog.
Which features are available on Basic accounts?
While customization was a big chunk of the improvements we made, it’s not everything. We’ve redone our homepage and info pages so you can see exactly what features are available at every account level.
Everyone gets the powerful, drag and drop Site Organizer. Everyone can apply an array of beautiful Themes and content blocks to their site, with three important differences:
- Basic users may use and swap between our many Themes, but won’t be able to edit or create them.
- Basic users can customize content and layout for their homepages only.
- Content blocks related to more complex customization and commerce features are not included on Basic accounts.
And great news: We’ve gone ahead and added video uploads to Basic accounts. Enjoy!
When can I start? And what’s next?
The great news: You can start right now.
Again, simply log in and go here: http://www.smugmug.com/migration
We’re not about to drop you into the pool without a little help. We’ve squished our brains together and updated our help pages to include a variety of new articles, as well as some “what’s new” content that compares old features with how things work now.
Important! Our fabulous Support Heroes are always available to lend a hand, but due to the sudden wave of ecstatic SmugMug tinkerers over the next few days (like you!), please check the help pages first and allow the Heroes a little extra time to respond to your tickets.
And as always, we’ll be sharing lots of helpful posts about building a brand-new website, tips for getting it done fast and insight into some of the things we think you’ll love most about the new SmugMug.
Questions? Stuck on a particularly tough nugget? Send us an email, comment, passenger pigeon or smoke signal so that we can best help you get the site of your dreams. We want to hear what you love, what stings, and what you think of our baby.
The Comprehensive List
Here’s the full list of things that we’ve improved or built for you in this release. In addition to the below, we’ve done a ton of work behind-the-scenes making SmugMug work faster, more reliably, and easier for us to deliver brand-new features in the coming months.
Things that we improved:
- Homepage design
- Folder page layout (previously Category/Subcategory pages)
- Gallery layout (all gallery styles)
- Lightbox view
- Video player
- Package image selection
- Gallery Settings
- Sharegroup pages
- Event pages
- Photo and gallery picker
- Complete customization overhaul, including Site Designs
- Site-wide drag and drop Organizer
- Folders can go 5 levels deep, allowing for 7 total layers
- Gallery-level comments now optional
- Thumbs up/down replaced by Like
- Can now create Pages
- New Gallery Styles
- Folder-level security and privacy settings
- Mobile site now mimics regular site, including customization
- New privacy level (owner-only “Private”)
- Expanded search structure
In seven days, on Tuesday, July 30th at 10:30 a.m. PDT, we’re unveiling the new SmugMug. We will be streaming our announcement live and direct from our headquarters in Mountain View, California.
Join us for a 30-minute webcast with our CEO and Chief Geek, Don MacAskill. See the new look, catch a live demo, and be a part of the biggest launch since SmugMug started in 2002.
We’re so grateful you found us. Thank you for entrusting us through the years with your priceless photos. We consider you part of our family and can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on. We think you’re gonna love it.
Live streaming begins at 10:30 AM PDT
We’ve been working our fingertips raw here at SmugMug HQ, feverishly building new things and sharpening the tools you use every day. Here’s what we released:
- The Big News this month was the launch of the best Android browsing app that you already knew: SmugFolio. It got a new name, new look, and the first of many new improvements. Thanks to everyone who left feedback about this app already, and we’ll continue to keep our ears perked for what you love (and what you don’t!)
- We also fixed a few important bits behind-the-scenes. You probably haven’t noticed anything amiss, which we love ‘cuz it means we did it right. As a result, SmugMug should be faster and even more stable than ever before.
That’s it from us this month. As always, thanks to all of our hard-working, passionate fans who tell us every single day how much we mean to them… and how we can be better.
‘Til next time,
The SmugMug Family
PS. Remember, you can always see the latest product updates from the Hot Topics link at right.