Over the years we’ve gotten so much great feedback from you, our customers, about buying and what your fans have reported back about the buying experience. So today is big news for you: we’ve remodeled the Add to Cart step to make it cleaner, simpler, and smoother for all!
To check it out, navigate to any photo you have for sale on your site and click Buy Photos > This Photo.
Instead of this:
You’ll see this:
We’ve completely revamped the first half of the shopping process, when you’re adding photos into your cart. Here’s what’s new:
- You’ll see a larger, prettier preview of your photo on the left. You’ll know for sure which pic you’re viewing.
- There’s now an easier-to-follow item selection pane on the right. All the same products and options are there, and it’s much easier to drill down to what you want.
- You’ll now adjust cropping in that same window as soon as you choose your print size. With borders and boundaries bigger and easier to see, there’s less chance something vital will get cropped out in your print.
- All of this automagically scales to fit smaller screen sizes, making shopping on-the-go as easy as just a few taps.
How Do I Get It?
You’ve already got it! The updated design is already sparkling up all accounts on New SmugMug. So add a photo to your cart to see it in action.
Tip: Be sure to try it on an updated browser. If you have Internet Explorer 9 or below, you’ll still see the old design.
Shoppers on Old SmugMug sites will also see the old shopping design, so Preview your site in New SmugMug to check it out and use it yourself. However, you’ll need to Publish your New SmugMug site to let your fans and customers use it, too.
More Help & Info
The checkout part hasn’t changed with this release, but we knew you’d ask. :) It’s in the works, and of course we’ll share as soon as we’ve got something ready to show you.
For more info about what’s changed and how the new process works, check out our updated help pages. And if you have any additional questions, reach out to our fabulous 24/7 Support Heroes. We always love to hear from you.
This time of the year most of us are pretty busy either with work, family, holiday prep, and all the other things that make this time of year so much fun. Here’s a few great new goodies we’ve released that you’ll love.
Drag Photos Directly Into Galleries
Adding new photos to your galleries is so easy, your camera can practically do it on its own.
You can still click the “Upload” button to fire up our in-browser uploader, but we’ve made it even easier than that: Simply log in, go to any gallery on your site, and drag photos off your desktop into the photos already there. The upload starts right away!
You can take a quick look at all the different ways you have to add photos and videos to your site… if this one doesn’t win you over.
Our Support Heroes get lots of requests from folks who need a simple subscription receipt for their records. Now you can do it all on your own, as many times as you want, with zero wait… even at 3:44 AM (supposedly the most common time to wake up in the middle of the night.)
Just look in your Account Settings > Me tab, and you’ll see a new section called “Receipts.”
Have fun accounting!
Zip Downloads Keep Your Filenames
Pros and label freaks, you’ll love this one: Now when you open your zipped gallery downloads, you’ll notice that the filenames are just as you left them (minus special characters.)
This has been a big request from a lot of photographers who offer gallery downloads of their photo shoots. So now clients can find exactly what they’re looking for, and they’ll correspond with the filename you gave it in your catalog.
Save-an-Email for Huge Zip Downloads
We’ve also given the email delivery gnomes a break by combining your zip download links into a one notification email. For galleries larger than 1.5 GB and/or 200 images, we typically split the download into multiple zip files. We’ll still do this, but send the links in a single email.
Pinch to Zoom on Your Phone
Need more detail when browsing photos on the go? Your mobile-friendly SmugMug site now allows you to zoom in and get peeping in on every pixel in your lightbox. (We’re talking browsing your site on Safari, not through our iOS and Android mobile apps which already let you zoom in.)
- The Folder, Gallery & Pages Content Block now properly displays items in the same order as the Organizer when it’s set to display by “Organizer Position.”
- Galleries in Journal viewing style no longer skip to the first image when the page is loaded and now display the content above the image. Links to specific photos in the gallery will also now jump to that image when you load the page.
- When browsing a keyword gallery that has been limited in scope, buyers purchasing multiple photos are limited to only photos that fit within that scope.
- Event details and settings should save properly again. Additionally, Favorites should save as expected when you clients click them.
- The Flash uploader properly allows for replacing photos in Proof Delayed orders.
Enjoy the new stuff and keep snapping great memories this holiday season!
- How to add photos and videos to your galleries
- What goodies are hiding in your Account Settings?
- How to download all the content in your gallery
- SmugMug’s fabulous, free iOS app
- SmugMug on Android
- When to use the Folders, Gallery & Pages Content Block
- How Proof Delay can save your sanity
- Set the scope for your Maps and Keywords and Search
- Events, Favorites, and why they rock for Pros
Today we’re thrilled to announce that SmugMug’s API is ready for tinkerers to play with and explore. If you’re one of the lucky folks who have written apps for us, you already know that a new API was a long time in the works, and we can’t wait to share it with you.
What’s new in Version 2.0?
SmugMug’s API 2.0 is a major rewrite of our original API, and fully supports the new SmugMug platform that we launched at the end of July 2013. This version is the basis on which we built some of SmugMug’s most-loved and best-used new features, like our mobile app, the site-wide Organizer, our official Lightroom plugin, and our in-gallery Photo Tools. Millions of people use these features every day, verifying the new API’s performance and stability.
This version is in open beta and, as with all beta software, we may need to make some changes to it. But you can use it now and we really hope you’ll like what you see.
What about the old versions?
You’ll still have access to API versions 1.3.0 and 1.2.2, but we’ll only update them for essential, critical fixes. To fully take advantage of SmugMug’s new features (like our 7-layers-deep folder structure), you’ll need to update your apps to API 2.0.
We’ll keep you updated on when 2.0 is out of beta, as well as a timeline for phasing out and shutting down APIs 1.3.0 and 1.2.2. We’ll be sure the timeline gives you plenty of time for you to migrate your apps.
I’m not a geek. Why should I care?
Even if you’re not a developer, APIs are great for you. They’re what bring great third-party programs like Star Explorer, Smugglr, and tons of others to the SmugMug table! With the new version, you can expect to see updates to existing apps that you use, and brand-new apps that work with today’s SmugMug and all its great features.
I AM a geek. How do I get started?
We can’t wait to see what you build, so here’s what you need to do next:
- New API users: Just fill out this form to tell us about yourself and read over our Terms of Service. You’ll then be able to start working with the API.
- If you already have an API key: Simply review and accept our new Terms of Service. Once you’ve acknowledged them, you’ll be able to access API 2.0.
Thanks so much to all of our developers for being such an important part of our SmugMug team!
Today we’re announcing the latest SmugMug for iOS App, the app that gives you easy photo uploading to your SmugMug galleries from your iPhone or iPad. Finally, you (and your fans) have the power to view all your galleries and archive your mobile photos in a place you know they’ll be safe.
The app helps bridge the gap between the photo galleries on your camera and on your computer, so you have access to both when you’re away. Here’s how it works.
All Your Beautiful Photos in Your Pocket
The free, completely redesigned SmugMug for iOS app lets you take all your galleries with you, anywhere. You can:
- Browse all your own SmugMug folders and galleries (including private and unlisted ones)
- Upload photos to your SmugMug galleries
- Save galleries for offline viewing
- Mark galleries as favorites for easy, instant access
- Save and share photos and videos via SMS, email, Twitter, and Facebook
- Follow other SmugMug users and browse their public galleries, too
Perfect for Friends, Family, and Your Fans
With this app, everyone in your circle wins, too. Since you don’t need a SmugMug account to use it, the app is perfect for your mom, dad, in-laws, best friend, or even for your growing fan base.
Have them grab the app for free and add your SmugMug nickname. They can then browse and see what’s new in your galleries, and add their favorite galleries to the app’s home screen for one-tap viewing.
The SmugMug iOS App + You
Here are a few examples of how this app fits into your life:
- Go ahead and snap all the photos you want at your sister’s wedding. Open the app, queue up the uploads, and send her the link before they’ve even cut the cake.
- When you’re out taking pictures and the editor of a local travel magazine asks about your camera. You whip out your phone, show her your portfolio of iconic city landmarks and you walk away with a promise for publication.
- You’re on a flight out of LA and just struck up a great conversation with the guy in the next seat. Oh, he’s never seen those Joshua trees you’re talking about? Enter: Offline galleries.
- Use the Save feature to download your Leica photos to your phone, then post them to Instagram, Facebook, and all the places where you share. Your friends will think you’re a photographic wizard with that sweet, sweet bokeh. (Sorry, tiny mobile camera!)
- Add your favorite SmugMug photographers to the app’s home screen, so you’ll always have fresh inspiration in the palm of your hand.
Try the app now and let us know in the comments how you (and your friends) are using it, and what you think.
PS. Last year we announced the SmugMug for Android App, which also lets you browse, upload, and share your SmugMug photos. So if you’re a part of the Android clan, be sure to check it out.
Did you know SmugMug has a huge library of totally free tutorial videos available 24/7, 365 days of the year? It’s true. We’ve stashed all our webinar archives, tutorial videos, and great playlists on YouTube, the most popular video community on the web, so you can sit back and become a Master SmugMugger in no time.
Even better – we’re always adding new tutorials based on your requests. Today we feature eight brand-new videos, each of them under four minutes so you can get informed and get back to taking great pictures.
- How to Add a Contact Form (1:59)
- How to Edit the Navigation Menu (2:09)
- How to Add Content Blocks (2:08)
- Advanced Photo Editing with PicMonkey (2:26)
- Organizing for a Family Photo Website (3:57)
- Organizing for a Pro Photog Website (3:59)
- How to Set a Custom Right-Click Protection Message (1:21)
- 5 Settings to Protect Your Photos (3:11)
And because we’re rolling into the season of giving, remember that we’ve recently released a “How to Buy Prints and Downloads” video ( a short version and a full-length version), perfect for any SmugMuggers looking to help their friends, their mom, or their clients place orders without a hitch.
If you don’t see a video that you can’t live without, just tell us via email or in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
Merry Friday, dear SmugMuggles! To send you off into a happy weekend, here’s an update on the things we’ve launched in the last few weeks.
In case you missed it, we announced the ability for Pros to customize their Right-Click Protection message in the new SmugMug, so if you have a Power, Portfolio, or Business account, don’t forget to check that out. We love that feature and all the opportunities it opens for pros.
Snazz Up Your Slideshows with 14 (!!) New Transitions
We brought you background slideshows a while back to rave reviews. But we only gave you two transitional options to pick from: “Fade” and “None.” Yawn.
Today, you’ve got 14 more:
- Zoom In
- Zoom Out
- Zoom In/Out
- Zoom Out/In
- Slide & Zoom
- Slide Down
- Slide Up
- Slide Up/Down
- Slide Left
- Slide Right
- Slide Left/Right
- Flip Down
- Flip Up
- Flip Left
- Flip Right
You’ll find these in both your background slideshow and in the Slideshow content block. If you or your viewers are using an older browser that doesn’t support some of these transitions, we’ll use the ever-dependable “Fade.”
Safer Password Resets for Safer… Resetting
If you ever need to reset your account login password, we now have a more secure method of resetting it. Click the “Forgot your password?” link on the login page and we’ll send you a link to create a new one.
As always, ask our Support Heroes if you have any questions or hiccups.
Shortcuts and Bulk Improvements in Photo Tools
Who doesn’t love saving time? We added a few quick ways to edit your photos faster in the recently improved Photo Tools editor. Here they are:
- Cmd+Opt+S / Ctrl+Alt+S = Save changes (shows in single editing and bulk editing mode)
- Cmd+Opt+N / Ctrl+Alt+N = Save changes and move to the next image (shows only in single image editing)
- Cmd+Opt+C / Ctrl+Alt+C = Cancel changes (text shows only in bulk editing mode, but shortcut is also available in single editing)
And you don’t have to memorize them, either: If you’ve made any changes to your images, we’ll display the shortcuts over the Save and Cancel buttons, so you don’t have to dive for your mouse. Unless you want to.
Tip: We’ve got keyboard shortcuts for browsing galleries and photos, too. See the full list here, along with a few other secret Smug features you may not have known you already have.
You may have noticed that we also merged the title, caption, and keywords tools into one mega-tool. There’s lots more prepending/appending options and helpful text prompts that will guide you through adding multiple entries.
Until next time! Have a great weekend and don’t forget to bring your camera with you. :)
- Change your Right-Click message and don’t slap customers on the wrist
- How to reset your login password
- Add a slideshow anywhere on your site
- Changing your site background to display slideshows and photos
- All about your many Image Tools
- Keyboard shortcuts to get your browsing at lightning speed
- Add a title, caption, and keyword to your photos
While we’ve had tutorial videos and archived webinars forever, today we’re happy to show you the latest additions to our library: How to Buy Prints & Downloads.
Two New Videos for You to Share
Pros have often asked us for tools that will help sell more prints, gifts, and downloads, because occasionally your fans need a little extra push. So we’ve created a long-format tutorial (7:58) and a short-format tutorial (4:52) showing your fans how to add photos to the shopping cart, understand those framing and cropping options, and check out. Here’s the short version:
We hope that you’ll share these with your clients, or even embed them into your site so that they’re viewable at any time. Tip: Use Customize > Customize Site and drop a YouTube video Content Block onto the page. You can get the video link above.
Here’s to smoother sales at SmugMug!
P.S. Did you know that we have a 100% guarantee on all items ordered through your SmugMug galleries? If you or your customer are not happy for ANY reason, we’ll fix it or replace it for free. We mean it.
Links you’ll love: