Hey, Smuggers! It’s been a little while since we’ve had a Release Notes post, but we’ve been heads-down and hard at work. Here are some of the most recent things we’ve pushed live. Chances are, many of you have already have noticed a few of these around your site.
New: Duplicate Your Own Orders
Due to popular demand, you can now re-order any previous print order you’ve placed at SmugMug. To do this, simply look for your order confirmation email and visit your order page, then find the link at the top:
Clicking that link will drop the same items from that order into your shopping cart — no need to re-crop or tweak your color correction settings. If you already had other items in your cart, you’ll see those there and can check out in one fell swoop.
New: Getting Started Video
We’ve been busy creating great new help content to get you up and running ASAP, so if you haven’t already seen it (and need it), watch our brand-new video that gets you going in just over two minutes.
You may have seen it during your 14-day trial, but if not, find the video under the help menu in the top right corner of your logged-in SmugMug header.
Improvements: Bulk Add to Cart
When you click Buy > Photos From This Gallery, you’ll see a shiny new screen that matches the rest of SmugMug’s new design. We’ve cleaned up the whole screen and fixed a lot of old code under the hood so it’s now smoother, faster, and easier to buy lots of photos in one go.
And everything else:
- You can now opt out of receiving those emails we send if your locked galleries get too many failed password attempts. Find that in your Account Settings, under the “Me” tab.
- We’ve added new “helpies” that pop up and guide those of you trying out the new SmugMug. They’ll guide you through a few key features and get you started, so don’t be shy.
- Moving photos around in your site-wide Organizer is now warp-speed fast. Given that you can just click and drag photos to move them around your site, now there’s zero excuse for being disorganized!
- The info bar in your lightbox view has been cleaned up even more so it looks good and stays out of your way… until you mouse around in there and bring it up.
- We’ll now display a banner at the top of your gallery if you’ve set Hide Owner, much like we already do for unlisted and passworded galleries.
Enjoy, and as always: Let us know what you think!
It’s been a while since we’ve talked about our love for one of the best photo tools on the market, Lightroom. We’re going to share some of our favorite things about it that knocks our socks off and why we hope you’ll give it a try, too. Plus, if you’re just scared about diving into the Adobe pool, we’re giving away 4 (signed!) copies of Scott Kelby’s fantastic instructional book, The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers, at the end of this post.
So keep reading to see how you can win yours!
Now, here are our top 5 reasons why Lightroom’s awesome.
1) Keywording Is a Breeze
Keywords are a small, but important part of getting your photos properly searchable. Whether you’ll be looking through your own galleries or hoping to cash in on sales sparked by Google, keywording is how you get there.
While SmugMug has great bulk keyword and caption tools, adding them during your Lightroom workflow is a step saver and has the added benefit of adding the keywords to the photo’s metadata.
You can enter keywords using the Library module, and even apply them to batches of photos all at once. The best part? Lightroom will automatically suggest keywords you’ve used before when you start typing.
And yes, these keywords and captions will transfer over to SmugMug when you publish.
2) No JPGs Required
Unless you’re new to SmugMug, you probably already know that we’ve got a free Publish to SmugMug plugin available in Lightroom. (You can download it here.)The fact that it doesn’t cost a cent is pretty great, but even better is that you can easily Publish your photos to new or existing galleries on your SmugMug account, all without needing to create — or store — a separate JPG file on your computer’s hard drive.
Try the easy, one-click syncing between your Lightroom catalog and your SmugMug folder structure. We’ll worry about your JPG storage so you don’t have to.
3) Everything’s Better in Bulk
The greatest power of Lightroom is how easily it lets you do sweeping changes to swaths of photos at once. Presets, flags, and anything you can think of — you can add them with just a few clicks and get your event photos out the door and into your clients’ inboxes in no time.
Check out this post that Adobe educator Matt Kloskowski did for us to help sift through your massive photo piles with ease.
4) Easy-to-Replace Proofs
Pro photographers, this one’s for you: When your client orders prints from your SmugMug galleries and you’ve set up Proof Delay, did you know that you can use Lightroom to quickly polish, edit, and republish only those photos back to your SmugMug galleries before sending the order to the lab?
We think this is the biggest lifesaver for any photographer who knows their clients will buy only a few photos out of thousands. Rather than editing every single photo from the shoot, simply upload your proofs and let them make their choice.
Tip: Take it a step further with Events & Favorites. Lightroom will sync their Favorites galleries and pull their choices back into your catalog, making it even easier for you to edit (and republish) just the ones they love best.
5) It’s Always Improving
Adobe’s always making their products more powerful and better for you, and we are, too. Both Lightroom and the SmugMug plugin check automatically for updates, and you’ll notice this when you open up the program and see that window.
What we’ve added recently: The ability to choose your gallery’s Featured Photo via the plugin, and the ability to create/edit/delete Quick Settings, Watermarks, and Printmarks. And lots more.
You can always check to see the updates we’ve made to the plugin on the dedicated page in our help pages.
The Book Giveaway
As promised, we’ve got 4 signed copies of Scott Kelby’s best-selling Lightroom 5 bible to give away, The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers:
This comprehensive book covers everything from basic sliders to Scott’s own workflow, and is the #1 Lightroom book on the market (with good reason). So if you’re ready to get this into your hands and begin your journey to becoming a Lightroom wizard, simply leave a comment below and include these two responses:
1) What are the biggest stumbling blocks in your photo editing workflow?
2) A link to your SmugMug website (so we know how to reach you if you win)
We’ll choose 4 lucky random winners on Wednesday, June 11th, 2014, and announce them right here.
Stay tuned, good luck, and watch this space!
UPDATE 6/11/2014: Winners! We randomly picked 4 winners who commented here and here’s who we drew:
We’ll be in touch with you individually to deliver your books. Congrats!
When we started SmugMug 12 years ago, it was a labor of love created between father and son and shared by word of mouth among family, friends, and neighbors. Through the years, photo lovers have touted SmugMug’s great features through conversation and email, creating a trail of beautiful websites that bridge one family to the next.
We knew it was time to make some big changes so we could better say “Thanks!” to all of you who’ve shared SmugMug with those you love.
“What’s the new Refer-a-Friend program?”
When you refer someone to SmugMug, you’ll earn 20% of their account value and your friend gets 20% off their first year. You’re basically splitting a 40% discount two ways. Just be sure they use your unique referral code at signup.
The referral credit you earn will automagically be applied towards your next SmugMug renewal, or credited towards your next Gift of SmugMug.
You can always see how much credit you’ve earned in your Account Settings, under the Stats tab.
“What does that mean for me?”
Your friend must use your unique referral code for you to get credit. To find yours, log in and visit your Account Settings > Stats tab to see your personalized referral details, and your credit balance. Copy the link and pass that along to your friends, or you can just grab the code itself and ask them to paste that in when they sign up for their new account.
Math example: Say your friend signs up for a full SmugMug Business account, which is normally $300/year.
- You’ll get 20% – or $60 – of that amount put on your account to apply towards your next renewal or your next Gift of SmugMug.
- Your friend also gets $60 off their first year at SmugMug, dropping their signup cost to only $240.
“But I don’t have any pro photographer friends!”
SmugMug is not just for full-time photographers! Photos are a part of all of our lives, no matter what type of camera you have and how often you’re taking pictures. Whether you’re a wedding pro, a business owner, a family guy, a world traveler, a writer, a student or if you just love life in any way at all, you’d probably appreciate a safe, beautiful place to keep (and archive) your photos online.
Let’s not forget that everyone on SmugMug gets 24/7 white-glove support by our team of amazing Support Heroes (who are everyday people just like you), so there’s no excuse. And whether you’re Regular Joe or a Smokin’ Hot Pro, every print order that comes from our labs is covered by our 100% money-back guarantee.
Your life is worth sharing. Take pictures of it!
“How do I know how much credit I’ve earned?”
You can check to see your referral credit balance at any time in your Account Settings, then click on the Stats tab.
To everyone who’s referred people to our family and helped us grow: Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. We literally could not have come this far without you!
You Can Win a Slice of the SmugLife
To celebrate today’s announcement, we’re giving our U.S. friends a chance to come on down and be a SmugMug VIP:
GRAND PRIZE. In December 2014, we’ll choose one lucky, random SmugMug referrer to come visit SmugMug HQ and get the full VIP treatment. (Max 100 entries per person.)
Monthly prizes. Every friend you refer to SmugMug enters you into a monthly drawing for a sexy, slow-mo capable GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition, or a $400 Amazon Gift Card. Drawings occur at the end of each month from May through November. (Max 10 entries per person.)
What does it mean to be “VIP?”
- Airfare and 2 nights hotel accommodation in San Francisco, CA
- A tour of our print-covered global headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Your favorite meal cooked by our in-house chef (touted as the best in Silicon Valley)
- A chance to talk with the people who built the features you know and love
- A full face-painting session where you’ll become the superhero of your dreams (like these)
- Your portrait taken by our President and Co-founder, Baldy (and a big print to keep)
- A helicopter tour and photowalk around San Francisco with Baldy & friends
Check out the official promotion rules for the full terms and details. We can’t wait to have you over!
* Unfortunately due to international contest rules, this contest is only open to U.S. residents.
Earlier this week, news was breaking about the discovery of the OpenSSL heartbeat bug (nicknamed “Heartbleed”), and people everywhere have been concerned about the security of their online passwords and other sensitive data.
Our SSL provider, Akamai, made the appropriate patches before the issue was publicly disclosed, because the OpenSSL team gave them advanced notice. To the best of our knowledge we, along with Yahoo, Facebook, Google, etc., could have been compromised without us knowing, although it appears very unlikely.
However, out of an abundance of caution, many of us here at SmugMug HQ have already changed our passwords on critical sites like our email providers, and we recommend that you do this, too.
You can change your SmugMug account login password by visiting your Account Settings, under Me > Account.
Here are a few tips for creating good, beefy passwords:
- Don’t duplicate passwords across different sites. Once someone figures out one password, they instantly have access to any other site that uses the same password.
- Don’t create passwords that contain personal information like names, addresses, or your birthday. This makes them easier to guess and more susceptible to social-hacking attempts.
- Change passwords every 4 to 6 months. We all hate doing this, but it’s a great preventative measure.
- Don’t click suspicious links. Not sure the e-mail you received is from your web service? Don’t click! Instead, go directly to the website by typing the main URL into your browser.
- Password length is stronger than password complexity. Stringing together several random words is safer (and simpler for you) than a short password with lots of arcane symbols.
As we blogged several months ago, we’ve recently implemented notification emails that go to you (the account owner) any time someone enters an incorrect gallery password multiple times. We’ll continue improving on and delivering new ways to help keep your photos and personal details out of the wrong hands.
Devoted to keeping your memories safe,
– The SmugMug Family
If you haven’t already heard, we recently released some new options to the way you apply watermarks to your images, but we’ve gone ahead and taken it one step further.
In the New SmugMug, you can now create, choose, edit and apply your custom watermarks all from a single location. Gone are the days of choosing your logo image from within a gallery, then tweaking it in your Account Settings.
Your New Home Base for Watermarks
You’ll still open your Account Settings to see your watermarks alongside your other pro branding tools. But now you’ll find a gorgeous, brand-new, edge-to-edge interface with a large sample photo in center, and all your watermarks in a column down the right-hand side:
Click any of your watermark previews to try it on for size. Or click the “+ Create” button at top to select a new graphic (that you’ve already designed and uploaded) for use as a fresh new watermark.
There’s even a handy button at the bottom to change the sample image to something brighter, darker, or vertical. This is a great way to get an idea of how the orientation or brightness of a photo will affect how your watermark looks.
And as always, you can hit the universal wrench or trash icons under each of your existing watermarks to edit and delete them, respectively.
Check out our updated help pages to get the complete details about watermarks and how they work. You’ll also notice that we’ve changed the way you edit Printmarks in exactly the same way, since Watermarks and Printmarks are very similar features.
Watermarks, in a nutshell
New to Watermarks? Here are a few important things to know:
- New custom watermarks default to size Large and up. You can specify a different minimum size in the settings.
- Watermarks are nondestructive, so your prints won’t include them.
- Watermarks will need to be re-applied to your photos to display any changes you make.
- You can have as many different watermarks on your site as you wish.
- Watermarks are available on Portfolio and Business accounts only.
About SmugMug’s Printmarks
And if you’ve never used our Printmarks feature and are intrigued to try it, here’s a quick rundown of what they are:
- Printmarks are like watermarks for the physical prints you sell.
- Although we recommend you use large graphics to ensure your Printmarks print well, they are limited to covering a small fixed percentage of the print area.
- Printmarks are great for applying your artist signature, a team logo, or a wedding date to your prints.
- If you change your mind, Printmarks can be removed during Proof Delay.
- The Printmarks feature is also available on Portfolio and Business accounts only.
So if you were looking for an excuse to freshen up your Watermarks and Printmarks, now’s the time! We hope that these changes make it more enjoyable and easier to manage the nuts and bolts of your photography business.
Let us know what you think! And, as always, stay tuned because there’s always more good stuff coming down the pipes from Smuggy HQ.
Links to great pro business tips we’ve shared:
- Encylopedia of the (SmugMug) Watermark
- How to Avoid Crippling Photo Theft
- 8 Smug Tools That Earn Your More Money
- 5 Simple Steps to Build Your Brand
SmugMug Pros in the UK and beyond, we’ve just added three new gorgeous products to your Loxley catalog! We’re so excited to finally deliver some of the newer creations from one of the most highly regarded print labs in the world, and a new way to sell them to your clients.
1) Acrylic Gallery
The Acrylic Galleries feature your print mounted behind crystal clear acrylic for a razor sharp, stunning effect.
2) Single and Dual Colour Desk Frames
Perfectly portable for your home or office, this modern alternative to the traditional desk frame gives you a dark or light option to complement any decor. Additionally, your image stays durable with a protective satin heat seal.
3) Print Wraps
Loxley Colour’s Print Wraps stand proud of the wall with a uniquely padded, tactile surface that is so much more interesting than the standard print and frame. It’s lightweight and laminated for durability so you can invite your clients to touch and feel the difference.
NEW! Price and Sell Packages Through Loxley Colour
Lots of SmugMug Pros wanted to sell Packages through Loxley Colour, and now you can. Packages let you set a single price on a collection of different print products, making it easier for clients to check out. Take a look at the complete Packages help page for more info, to see the customers’ experience, and to get started.
NEW! Invoices for VAT Registered Pros
We’ve made a few changes to the way you’ll deal with VAT if you’re a VAT registered pro. We’ll begin sending you and your clients invoices, so keep an eye out for those and be sure that your account information is present and correct. We’ve sent emails about this to all pros in the EU with more details, so please refer to that if you have specific questions about collecting VAT on your SmugMug pro sales.
Will these new print products take extra time to manufacture/process?
Acrylic Prints, Print Wraps and Desk Frames take an additional 3-4 business days for manufacture and processing, so please be sure to build in enough leeway if you or your clients need their prints by a specific date. Also, don’t forget to consider shipping times, too.
How do I set my pricing again? And what are the details on getting paid the money I earn?
Remember: With a Portfolio or a Business account, you can easily set a markup over our base print prices and keep 85% of the sale. We provide step-by-step instructions on how to manage your Pricelists, as well as everything you need to do to get your profits paid to you.
I’m in the USA. Can’t you add more products from your other labs?
We’d love to! We’re always looking to update the catalog of products we offer from our labs and we’ll update this space whenever we do. Stay tuned!
Any tips for me as a pro who wants to offer these new products?
If you’re new to selling or just need some fresh ideas, here are a few of our suggestions for adding these new prints to your lineup:
- Desk frames. You may be low on wall space, but we’re pretty sure you’ve got a desk. Because of their compact size, Desk Frames are a perfect way to brighten up even the tightest corners of any room.
- Print Wraps. These are so unique, it’s a no-brainer opportunity to offer your customers a fun, new way to display their memories. Despite their light weight, Print Wraps are ready-to-hang without a frame so we recommend that you keep your final (pro) price consistent with other finished prints of this size.
- Acrylic Gallery These gorgeous prints turn your photos into something truly show-worthy! They’re perfect for getting a completely upscale look for your walls. Again, if you already sell finished and framed prints to your clients, we recommend you price your Acrylic Gallery prints consistently with those.
We hope you love the new offerings through Loxley and will share your experiences with us, too. As always, talk to our Support Heroes if you ever have any questions about buying, selling or anything you can do on SmugMug.