Hey, Smuggers! It’s been a little while since we’ve had a Release Notes post, but we’ve been heads-down and hard at work. Here are some of the most recent things we’ve pushed live. Chances are, many of you have already have noticed a few of these around your site.
New: Duplicate Your Own Orders
Due to popular demand, you can now re-order any previous print order you’ve placed at SmugMug. To do this, simply look for your order confirmation email and visit your order page, then find the link at the top:
Clicking that link will drop the same items from that order into your shopping cart — no need to re-crop or tweak your color correction settings. If you already had other items in your cart, you’ll see those there and can check out in one fell swoop.
New: Getting Started Video
We’ve been busy creating great new help content to get you up and running ASAP, so if you haven’t already seen it (and need it), watch our brand-new video that gets you going in just over two minutes.
You may have seen it during your 14-day trial, but if not, find the video under the help menu in the top right corner of your logged-in SmugMug header.
Improvements: Bulk Add to Cart
When you click Buy > Photos From This Gallery, you’ll see a shiny new screen that matches the rest of SmugMug’s new design. We’ve cleaned up the whole screen and fixed a lot of old code under the hood so it’s now smoother, faster, and easier to buy lots of photos in one go.
And everything else:
- You can now opt out of receiving those emails we send if your locked galleries get too many failed password attempts. Find that in your Account Settings, under the “Me” tab.
- We’ve added new “helpies” that pop up and guide those of you trying out the new SmugMug. They’ll guide you through a few key features and get you started, so don’t be shy.
- Moving photos around in your site-wide Organizer is now warp-speed fast. Given that you can just click and drag photos to move them around your site, now there’s zero excuse for being disorganized!
- The info bar in your lightbox view has been cleaned up even more so it looks good and stays out of your way… until you mouse around in there and bring it up.
- We’ll now display a banner at the top of your gallery if you’ve set Hide Owner, much like we already do for unlisted and passworded galleries.
Enjoy, and as always: Let us know what you think!
We’ve been fixing a lot of stuff lately so we thought it’d be a good time to update you all on a few more things we’ve shipped this month. Without further ado:
Embed Videos from Vimeo
You asked, we delivered! You can now embed your Vimeo videos into your pages, in addition to SmugMug and YouTube videos. You’ll find that content block under the “Video” section of your customization menu.
Want more than just our basic contact form? No problem – the folks at Wufoo specialize in embeddable forms in all shapes, colors and sizes! If you’ve already got a Wufoo account, simply grab the shortlink they give you and look under the “Social” section of your customization menu. You’ll find the new Wufoo Form content block ready and waiting for you to paste it in.
Keep Better Tabs on Us
What’s more important than the status of SmugMug.com? Probably not a whole lot, so we’ve made it better than ever before. Check it out now and get familiar with it, so if you think you’re seeing something strange, you can peek in and see how we’re doing.
Tip: Want to know even faster? Hit the Subscribe button at the top and we’ll send you an email whenever things get exciting.
- Statcounter and Google Analytics work properly on migrated and unveiled SmugMug sites.
- Added the ability to discard your changes while in customization mode.
- Animated gifs display motion at all SmugMug sizes, not just Originals.
- Fixed UTF-8 fonts to display correctly.
- Added navigation arrows to SmugMug gallery style
- Option to hide the Slideshow button in Gallery Settings.
- Added option to add separators between your menu bar links.
- Cleaned up the lightbox so the same arrows and options show up no matter where you’re using the lightbox.
- Favicons should stick. For really-real this time.
- We smacked Smart Galleries so that they fetch new photos faster.
A huge, heartfelt thank you to all of you passionate readers out there who’ve shared your thoughts about the new SmugMug. Whether you’re Tweeting, Facebooking, Dgrinning, emailing or posting comments in our blog, we really do read every single response (even if we can’t always reply personally to every one). Change inspires great feeling in all of us, and it’s been a wild ride seeing just how the new features and tools have affected so many of you.
Since launch day we’ve been hard at work helping you get settled, cataloging your feedback, tweaking and polishing and making things that much better for you to use. So here’s the first batch of updates that gives you a closer look at some of the things we’ve shipped in the last week.
Gallery Comments are back!
When we launched, your gallery comments didn’t migrate with your photos, but we didn’t just chuck them into the trash. Now when you drop in a comments content block, click the wrench in the corner, choose a source and pull in all your previous comments from, say, your legacy guestbook gallery:
Show Off to embed slideshows
You’ve asked for an easy way to embed your photos into external sites, so we brought the Show Off feature into the new SmugMug. When you’re logged in as owner, you’ll see the “Show Off” option in the lightbox view, from the social menu. You can customize a beautiful slideshow of virtually any size to embed in webpages:
Events & Favorites
We’ve gotten a lot of feedback about this feature in the last week, so thank you to everyone who helped us track down and iron out the bumps. We have:
- … fixed issues your clients sometimes had saving and removing Favorites.
- … made it so that Event slideshows play perfectly again.
- … fixed an obscure bug so that all top-level folders display reliably in the Events gallery picker.
- Slicker, smoother video playback.
- “Auto” streams a juicy 640×480 and up.
- Are you in the EU? You’ll feel at home with our new, rule-abiding cookie consent bar.
- Presented a cleaner, new crop page on preview mode and unveiled sites.
- Upped the maximum number of Multiple Photos to 48.
Misc bug fixes
- Site Meta Title and Description SEO tools use YOUR text (not ours, unless you leave these blank).
- Tidied up the logged-out view of comments box.
- Passwords stick to your galleries, even if you move them into Public folders.
- Fixed navigation into Categories on legacy Sharegroups.
- You can set pricing on galleries before you’ve even filled them with photos.
- Gallery descriptions are visible to anyone with permissions to view your gallery.
- You can sort your Collected images in the Organizer.
Enjoy! As always, please don’t be shy about sharing what you love, what you don’t, and what you think doesn’t look quite right.
The SmugMug Family
We’ve been working our fingertips raw here at SmugMug HQ, feverishly building new things and sharpening the tools you use every day. Here’s what we released:
- The Big News this month was the launch of the best Android browsing app that you already knew: SmugFolio. It got a new name, new look, and the first of many new improvements. Thanks to everyone who left feedback about this app already, and we’ll continue to keep our ears perked for what you love (and what you don’t!)
- We also fixed a few important bits behind-the-scenes. You probably haven’t noticed anything amiss, which we love ‘cuz it means we did it right. As a result, SmugMug should be faster and even more stable than ever before.
That’s it from us this month. As always, thanks to all of our hard-working, passionate fans who tell us every single day how much we mean to them… and how we can be better.
‘Til next time,
The SmugMug Family
PS. Remember, you can always see the latest product updates from the Hot Topics link at right.
We blog about the big stuff, but in the last year we’ve heard from some of our most dedicated fans that you miss hearing about the everyday fixes. And we agree that whether we’re working on things big or small, you should be up to speed on what we ship.
So, each month we’ll round up the short (or long, depending on how much coffee we’ve consumed) list of bug fixes, feature improvements and other miscellaneous changes that we’ve made. Keep an eye on the “Release Notes” tag and the “New Features” category if you’ve been keeping tabs on what we’re birthing into the Smuggiverse.
Hot Tip! Find those links in the sidebar at right.
Lately, We’ve Launched:
- New Bay Photo SKUs
True, we did already formally announce this but just in case you missed it, Portfolio and Business account pros can offer more great prints than ever before. Previously available prints and products also reflect some sweet price changes (overall lower). So if you haven’t already checked your Bay Photo Pricelists, it may be time for a refresh.
- Fresh SmugMug Marketing Pages
We refer to them as “marketing pages” in-house but most people know them as the place to read up on what SmugMug can do for you. So the next time your friends are shopping around for a place to keep their photos, link them here! You’ll can also get there from SmugMug.com.
- IE10 slideshow button fix
We were hearing that the Slideshow button wasn’t showing up for people viewing sites in IE10. We fixed this, so it appear in all four of our supported viewing styles.
- Faster search indexing
Image keywords should now be indexing quickly and become searchable much faster than before. Photos should be found in search results after a couple of hours – at the very most – after keywords and descriptions are applied. But you’ll probably find that it works much faster than that.
- Get a Link in Journal style
Some of you had trouble using Get a Link in Journal style. This feature should now load properly, as expected in all four supported viewing styles.
- ‘Like’ Button and Lightbox links
Similarly, the Facebook ‘Like’ button wasn’t sharing the lightbox link when clicked, which was super confusing especially if your gallery was set to Thumbnails view. Now your viewers will definitely know which of your photos was shared, so ‘Like’ away!
Stay tuned for more fixes and updates next month. As always, if you have any questions or feedback just talk to us! We may be pumping out other kinds of inspirational and educational posts on this blog, but we are (and always have been) listening to your ideas. :)
We made Proof Delay a heck of a lot smarter.
In the old days, your clients would sometimes order prints cropped a certain way, and when you replaced it with an edited photo of a different shape it wouldn’t always work out so well. Heroes to the rescue and everything, but, yanno.
And if you replaced the image with something that was shaped the same, there wasn’t a way to remember exactly how they’d had it cropped in the first place.
We’ve fixed all that.
How it works.
Pros, the very next time you get a cropped order held for Proof Delay, don’t fret. We’ll now do the following:
1) Show you the exact same crop your client used if you replace the photo with an edited version of the same shape and size.
2) Show you a thumbnail of the original image with the crop when you replace the photo with one that’s a different shape and size.
3) Display the thumbnail with the original image and crop when you go in and try to adjust the crop on a replaced image of a different size.
We hope this makes your life a whole lot easier and that your customers don’t notice a thing. Except, of course, how much they love their prints and what a great photographer you are.
The Magic of Proof Delay
Remember that using this simple feature in all of your for-sale galleries can help you upload your proofs to your gallery ASAP, and let you only edit the photos that get bought. Plus, if there are any problems with the order, our Support Heroes have a gazillion times’ higher chance of being able to cancel, fix, or correct the problem before your customer even notices.
We can’t stress enough just how cool the Proof Delay feature really is. It saves you time AND helps you give your clients a better product. And it comes baked right in to each and every SmugMug Pro account.
Bonus Pro tips for you:
More Magic to Backprinting
We added three more options to your custom Pro backprinting: Year taken (SMUGYEARTAKEN), month taken (SMUGMONTHTAKEN) and day taken (SMUGDAYTAKEN).
To use them, just open up your Control Panel and look for the Backprinting link under the Pros tab. Add the code words there to apply them to all prints ordered from your site. Or, apply them to specific galleries in the “Backprinting” option in your Gallery Settings.
Write this: SMUGYEARTAKEN SMUGMONTHTAKEN SMUGDAYTAKEN
- Get this with EZ Prints: 2011_08_07
- And this with Bay Photo: 2011 08 07
Remember that Pros have tons of choices for what gets printed on the back of their prints. See all the tasty options here, or you can specify your own custom text.
- Your slideshows won’t trip over images with unusual characters in their filenames.
- We fixed a Pro bug that was preventing Sole Proprietors and LLC-Disregarded Entities from successfully filing their W-9 form with an EIN. (Confused about reporting?)
- Your suitably big, clean, unwatermarked original photos will get sent to Animoto and ProShow Web so they can build your sumptuous slideshows. Give them a try and spice up your presentations!
- When you delete a photo, we’ll drop you back at the photo that comes right after it and not at the beginning of the gallery.