In your busy life, the camera you usually have is the one in your pocket: Your phone! The photos you take with it are the easiest and most “real,” but they’re also the most difficult to get safely archived and online.
Don’t let your best memories die in a digital graveyard! It’s simple to get them out of your phone and safely up into SmugMug where you can cherish them for years… no matter how many times you drop, dunk, or destroy your device.
Today, we’re reminding you to do this often, so you’ll never be left grieving over the loss of your priceless mobile memories.
On iPhones and Android
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, it’s a no-brainer: use our Camera Awesome app. It’s a camera, editing suite, social hub, and backup service all in one, so you’ll never need to exit the app (unless you want to)!
How to do it: Download the Camera Awesome app. Tap the little gear icon at top left to open the settings and connect to your SmugMug account. You can then use the app to take all the photos and videos you want, edit them, and, when you’re ready, upload them to your account.
- You can also upload photos taken via other apps as well as your phone’s default camera through Camera Awesome, since we’re all about equal-opportunity backups.
- If you choose, you can set ALL photos and videos that you shoot with Camera Awesome to automatically back up to your gallery as you shoot. Or opt to send them only when you’re connected via WiFi.
- Alternatively, you can choose to save photos from Camera Awesome to your phone’s photo library and manually upload them to your computer’s hard drive (and to your SmugMug account!)
Hot tip: If you’ve taken a photo and for some reason can’t find it in your photo library, our Support Heroes use apps like iExplorer to find and access every file on your device.
Backing up on other phones or apps
If you aren’t using Camera Awesome, your phone should still allow you to access your images manually, so you can upload them to your SmugMug website for safekeeping.
We won’t go into specific steps for how to do this, since you’re probably already familiar with the process of plugging in your phone to your computer. You may even already use manufacturer’s software to download your photos to your computer and they may even offer to put a copy of your photos into existing free services that you use, like Dropbox or Facebook. This is a convenient option, but we recommend taking two more seconds to also drag your files into SmugMug, too.
Why? SmugMug’s the only service that’s completely unlimited to use, and we won’t squish or resize your images. Storage is already included in your subscription fee, and you can retrieve everything using the built-in backup feature.
We’ve got several really great ways for getting your files into SmugMug; use the one that works best for you. We like using the default browser drag-and-drop window, with the option to automatically skip or allow duplicate files.
If you walk away remembering nothing else….
… be sure it’s this: Please download and back up your photos on a regular basis so if your phone should ever get lost, stolen, or go on the fritz, you won’t miss a single memory that you’ve recorded. We’ve all had this happen to us, and with SmugMug you can retrieve thousands of lost memories with a single click.
Happy snapping. And don’t forget to back up!
We’re not kidding. It’s finally here! We originally built the original Camera Awesome app for iPhone in 2012 and received such a huge wave of responses from mobile photographers all over the world. Since then, Camera Awesome has been downloaded by over 20 million iPhone users, but Android users asked us every single day when we’d have something for them.
Today’s your lucky day, Android!
What’s the deal? Why should I use it?
Camera Awesome is your ticket to taking great photos at any moment of the day. It’s a powerful, easy-to-use camera app perfect for photographers (but easy enough for non-photographers). It’s for creative people who love capturing their everyday memories and sharing them with those who matter most.
Unlike other camera apps, Camera Awesome combines
- a powerful, easy-to-use camera feature that helps you take fabulous photos and videos,
- a creative suite of editing tools – including the one-tap Awesomize button
- tons of filters, textures and frames
- an integrated share function that lets you save or send your photos.
You don’t need a SmugMug account to use Camera Awesome. But we recommend it because we’re all about backups, archivability and peace of mind.
See what our friend, photographer, educator and Android user Colby Brown from the Giving Lens has to say about it!
Will it work on my phone?
To hit the most popular phone models of the many out there, Camera Awesome works on the following:
* Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, Note 3 (UPDATE 11/13/13: The Galaxy SIII is now available in the Google Play Store. Go wild!)
* Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, (Nexus 5 coming soon)
* Sony Xperia Z, HTC One, LG G2 (UPDATE 12/3/13: Support added for LG G2)
* Moto X, Motorola Droid Razr
* Kindle Fire HDX 7″, 8.9″ (UPDATE 11/27/13: Now available on Amazon Apps!)
Since each phone and tablet is a special snowflake, we’ll keep adding to the list as time goes by. You can get the most up-to-date, detailed specs on our store page right here.
Where do I get it?
Right here, baby! It’s ready and waiting for you on the Google Play store.
Wait, it’s not free?
The initial (AKA iPhone) version of Camera Awesome was free to download and use, and we got a lot of feedback from users who wanted – and eventually purchased – the many premium filters and effects. With the Android version we decided to keep it simple and bundle the goodies right into the app, resulting in an easier process for you… and lots more to play with right from the start, for $2.99.
New to smartphone-ography?
Our very own world traveler, Michael Bonocore, shares his Top 10 Travel Photography Tips with Camera Awesome .
What if I have problems?
Our support heroes are standing by to lend you a hand, as always. You can also refer to our Android help page here for a basic overview of what the different symbols mean and how you can get started.
Hey, what’s this SmugMug thing?
If you’re thinking about opening your own SmugMug account to store and archive the photos you shoot on your phone (or your DSLR), you can get started right from within the Camera Awesome app. It’s totally free for two whole weeks, and when you start your account from the app we’ll even throw in a 50% discount automagically.
Thanks to all of our Android fans who waited for this! We hope you love it as much as we do.
For the first time since launch, we’re offering a huge sale on our world-famous iPhone app: Normally $.99 per set, $3.99 per category or $9.99 for the whole shebang, but we’re slashing prices on the complete bundle of filters and presets. For one week only, you get everything in Camera Awesome for just $0.99.
We’ll say that again: From today (Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013) through Monday, September 9, 2013, it costs just $0.99 to get every single item in Camera Awesome.
For those of you who missed it before, that’s a total of 262,143 possible artistic combinations. How many photos have you snapped lately?
Discounts are automagically applied when you purchase the bundle in-app, so there’s no reason to wait.
New to Camera Awesome?
If you’ve lived under a rock for the last year, you may not have heard that SmugMug’s powerful iPhone and iPad photo app is called Camera Awesome. Ranked #1 Photography App in 55 countries and #1 overall app in 10 countries, it’s completely free and includes cam-tacular compositional tools, filters and presets.
You can start shooting instantly (photos and videos), edit your work and share direct to your favorite social sites like Facebook, Instagram and SmugMug.
Camera Awesome just turned 1, and we only have one thing to say about it:
There isn’t enough cake in the universe to show how much we appreciate the support you’ve given our free iPhone camera app over the last year. Mobile photographers like you have clicked, tapped, snapped, pre-corded, filtered, cowbelled, and koala sneezed us all the way to top of the charts in the App Store, and taken us everywhere in the world.
We’ve had such a great time seeing the gorgeous, funny (and sometimes awkward) #awesomized photos that pop up on Facebook, Instagram and more.
See a slice of the Awesomverse on SmugMug.
We Heart You. Here’s Why.
Yeah, we blush knowing that so many of you swear by Camera Awesome and use it to capture so much of your lives. The proof is in the pudding: We’ve counted more than 13 million users who shot 250 million photos using the app. That’s almost twice the entire population of Japan.
And your top three favorite presets are: Blue Pill (17%), Goddess (14%) and Road Trip (12%). They’re our favorites, too, in addition to More Cowbell and More Wang (both 11% of all presets used).
And we’ve had some seriously impressive milestones that surprised even the biggest skeptics among us all:
- Last Week: Enabled volume shutter button for better iPhonergonomics
- December 2012: Tumblr integration/iPhone 5 optimization. (9 million users and 200 million photos taken)
- October 2012: iPad app launch + iOS 6 support (lucky 7 million users!)
- March 27, 2012: Released $9.99 Bundle + Instagram integration (doubled to 4 million users already)
- March 6, 2012: 2 million users in first week (1 million in first four days)
- February 28, 2012: Camera Awesome launched on iPhone at 3:33 PM
No matter who you are, where you are or what you shoot, we hope that you’ll keep taking us along for the ride, wherever you’re going for the next year… and beyond.
Oh, and One More Thing…
… Stay tuned for the Android version, coming soon. ;)
The Camera Awesome journey (or: How you helped us turn a little idea into a total game-changer)
We love you, fans.
For 10 years, passionate photographers just like you have helped SmugMug become the company we are today. As we pour our hearts and souls into making neat new stuff like the Camera Awesome app, it totally bakes our cakes to see that you love using it as much as we do.
So, to celebrate a decade of being Smug — and to thank you for helping Camera Awesome become one of the most popular camera apps on the market — we’ve whipped up a beautiful infographic to share.
It’s chock full of facts, figures and tricks to help you shoot better images with the one camera you alway have.
Tip: Click the image to see it full-sized, or download your own copy and take it with you.
Get Camera Awesome Now
And if you’re new to Camera Awesome, you can download it for iPhone AND iPad and start shooting now. It’s totally free and comes bundled with 36 gorgeous effects and filters. With lots more available for just $.99 per set, $3.99 per category or $9.99 for all 262,143 possible combinations.
Need help getting started? We’ve got answers.
Links you’ll love:
When we designed Camera Awesome for the iPhone, we wanted to do something equally extraordinary for the iPad without making it feel like a giant, awkward camera.
We know what you’re thinking. We thought it, too: Taking pictures with an iPad? I’d never chase my kids around with a computer!
But the more we talked to people, the more we kept hearing that shooting through the big, hi-res screen was a profoundly surreal experience. It may seem funny at first, but we kept hearing how much better your pictures turn out when you can actually see what you’re shooting, without squinting or pinching the screen.
Plus, your “wow” moment is so much bigger when you show off what you shot on that ginormous iPad screen.
In short: Don’t knock it ’til you try it!
Is it just like the iPhone version?
Camera Awesome for iPad lets you use the same great shooting features, modes and filters that you already know and love on your iPhone. It takes full advantage of your device’s hi-res display and offers a bigger, cleaner interface with large previews, better framing and easier editing.
It’s also one of the most powerful camera apps out there for the iPad, giving you basic and advanced shooting features, detailed photo info and solid editing tools.
And of course, we’ve maximized the viewing area so it’s just that: A huge, magical window into another world. Yours.
What does it do for me?
Camera Awesome is perfect for anyone who loves to capture their favorite moments and share them with friends.
- Use it straight up to snap everyday great photos, every time.
- Go high-octane with 9 fps burst mode, video precording, a horizon level and tons more.
- Perfect your images with our library of gorgeous filters.
- Post your work to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.
A SmugMug account isn’t required, but with it you’ll get a safe place to archive all of your Camera Awesome photos, no matter how much you love to shoot.
So if you haven’t already tried it, you’ve got to see why more than 7 million users shot over 150 million photos since we launched it 7 months ago. Here’s just a few on SmugMug.
How do I get it?
Get Camera Awesome from the App Store or Awesomize.com now. As always, it’s completely free. And it comes pre-loaded with 36 beautiful, full-resolution effects and filters that let you create 729 unique looks.
Want more? Buy additional sets for $0.99, categories for $3.99 or grab the whole shebang (all effects available now and forever) for $9.99. That’s 262,143 possible combinations, right at your fingertips. Yeow.
But I’ve already bought filters on the iPhone!
Camera Awesome knows that it’s you on a different device, so you don’t have to buy them again. Just restore your purchases in the app settings on your iPad and go to town.
Enjoy awesomizing your photos in large format!
If you’ve used your iPhone today, you may have noticed that Camera Awesome just got a nice big update. Here’s what’s included:
- Better bundling: It’s now just $9.99 for all effects, forever and ever. If you’ve already bought a few, it’ll do the right thing and bill you the difference.
- Getting started guide: In-app help shows you how to post, edit and share.
- Pinch to zoom: Easier, intuitive zoom. The way Apple intended.
- White Balance lock: Stick to one white balance in tricky light.
- Instagram sharing: Publish to Instagram with one tap.
- Smoother timer: Drag to set the self-timer. No more fat fingers.
These updates may look a little familiar – they’re some of the top feature requests you’ve been telling us since we launched Camera Awesome a month ago. We hope you love the additions and will keep sending us your feedback.
We’ve crossed 4 million downloads already (thanks to you)! To all you shutterbugs out there: Happy shooting and sharing.
Holy moly, you guys rock!
In a single week after we debuted our free iPhone app, Camera Awesome, we blew right past 2 MILLION downloads.
(This means we averaged more than three downloads per second. And you’ve taken over 10 million photos with Camera Awesome. Wow!)
This review on AllThingsD sums it up.
The #1 Photo App in 55 Countries
We couldn’t do it without you – our friends and family and fans – who have cheered us on, fought for us, and gave us the smackdown when we deserved a good dose of reality.
Thank you to everyone who’s given our app a try. We hope that we’ve accomplished our goal: to make shooting and sharing your life easier and faster. More beautiful. More fun.
Here are some Awesomized pics you’ve been shooting:
It’s not our style to rest on our laurels, so we’ve got to get back to work making your photos look even more awesome here.
The SmugMug Family
… it is by far one of the most full-powered camera apps I’ve used, and it marks an exciting advance for smartphone cameras.
– The Wall Street Journal
Here at last. Our baby. As you know, photography is our life and our passion. So we created the camera you never knew you always wanted, the camera we always dreamed of – a camera fit for the iPhone.
Camera Awesome is SmugMug’s new iPhone app. It lets you take beautiful photos using the camera you already have. No ads, no cost, no catch (seriously, it’s free). So go ahead, create those memories and share them on the sites you love.
Camera Awesome is the Future of Photography
As amazing as expensive cameras are, they can’t do at any price what Camera Awesome can for free:
- Be so simple anyone can use it.
- Provide advanced features like a level for the horizon and an easy way to focus in one spot and set exposure in another.
- Apply effects designed by pro photographers (like Kevin Kubota) to transform your memories from forgettable into stunning works of art.
- Share instantly on all your favorite sites.
- Auto-archive photos and videos to your SmugMug account.
- Precord video so that when you tap the record button, you record the past.
- Be fun and whimsical and… did we say fun and whimsical?
How is it different?
It’s FAST. Simple. Beautiful. And so, so fun!
It’s loaded with gorgeous effects and filters that would cost a pretty penny in professional editing programs.
Share on the social networks you already use, like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and more.
You Are SO Gonna Have Fun.
Here are some of the Awesome things you can do with this app:
- For moms - Catch those first steps or the winning goal. With hi-speed burst mode and 5-second video precording, all of those moments are yours forever… and safely backed up to SmugMug so you can print them big and bold.
- For adventurers - Capture your experiences anytime, anyplace, without weighty gear. Climb mountains, cross borders and leap from the sky with just your iPhone in-hand. Auto-archiving means you’ll never lose your photos when you’re on the road.
- For photographers - You’ll love the exclusive collection of filters, textures and frames offered by post-processing superstar Kevin Kubota. Apply stunning, Lightroom-worthy effects to your photos in just a few taps.
Are You Ready to Shoot Like a Pro?
Check out what you can do:
Get it free now from the App Store and start Awesomizing your world.