Today we’re announcing the latest SmugMug for iOS App, the app that gives you easy photo uploading to your SmugMug galleries from your iPhone or iPad. Finally, you (and your fans) have the power to view all your galleries and archive your mobile photos in a place you know they’ll be safe.
The app helps bridge the gap between the photo galleries on your camera and on your computer, so you have access to both when you’re away. Here’s how it works.
All Your Beautiful Photos in Your Pocket
The free, completely redesigned SmugMug for iOS app lets you take all your galleries with you, anywhere. You can:
- Browse all your own SmugMug folders and galleries (including private and unlisted ones)
- Upload photos to your SmugMug galleries
- Save galleries for offline viewing
- Mark galleries as favorites for easy, instant access
- Save and share photos and videos via SMS, email, Twitter, and Facebook
- Follow other SmugMug users and browse their public galleries, too
Perfect for Friends, Family, and Your Fans
With this app, everyone in your circle wins, too. Since you don’t need a SmugMug account to use it, the app is perfect for your mom, dad, in-laws, best friend, or even for your growing fan base.
Have them grab the app for free and add your SmugMug nickname. They can then browse and see what’s new in your galleries, and add their favorite galleries to the app’s home screen for one-tap viewing.
The SmugMug iOS App + You
Here are a few examples of how this app fits into your life:
- Go ahead and snap all the photos you want at your sister’s wedding. Open the app, queue up the uploads, and send her the link before they’ve even cut the cake.
- When you’re out taking pictures and the editor of a local travel magazine asks about your camera. You whip out your phone, show her your portfolio of iconic city landmarks and you walk away with a promise for publication.
- You’re on a flight out of LA and just struck up a great conversation with the guy in the next seat. Oh, he’s never seen those Joshua trees you’re talking about? Enter: Offline galleries.
- Use the Save feature to download your Leica photos to your phone, then post them to Instagram, Facebook, and all the places where you share. Your friends will think you’re a photographic wizard with that sweet, sweet bokeh. (Sorry, tiny mobile camera!)
- Add your favorite SmugMug photographers to the app’s home screen, so you’ll always have fresh inspiration in the palm of your hand.
Try the app now and let us know in the comments how you (and your friends) are using it, and what you think.
PS. Last year we announced the SmugMug for Android App, which also lets you browse, upload, and share your SmugMug photos. So if you’re a part of the Android clan, be sure to check it out.
For the first time since launch, we’re offering a huge sale on our world-famous iPhone app: Normally $.99 per set, $3.99 per category or $9.99 for the whole shebang, but we’re slashing prices on the complete bundle of filters and presets. For one week only, you get everything in Camera Awesome for just $0.99.
We’ll say that again: From today (Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013) through Monday, September 9, 2013, it costs just $0.99 to get every single item in Camera Awesome.
For those of you who missed it before, that’s a total of 262,143 possible artistic combinations. How many photos have you snapped lately?
Discounts are automagically applied when you purchase the bundle in-app, so there’s no reason to wait.
New to Camera Awesome?
If you’ve lived under a rock for the last year, you may not have heard that SmugMug’s powerful iPhone and iPad photo app is called Camera Awesome. Ranked #1 Photography App in 55 countries and #1 overall app in 10 countries, it’s completely free and includes cam-tacular compositional tools, filters and presets.
You can start shooting instantly (photos and videos), edit your work and share direct to your favorite social sites like Facebook, Instagram and SmugMug.
Camera Awesome just turned 1, and we only have one thing to say about it:
There isn’t enough cake in the universe to show how much we appreciate the support you’ve given our free iPhone camera app over the last year. Mobile photographers like you have clicked, tapped, snapped, pre-corded, filtered, cowbelled, and koala sneezed us all the way to top of the charts in the App Store, and taken us everywhere in the world.
We’ve had such a great time seeing the gorgeous, funny (and sometimes awkward) #awesomized photos that pop up on Facebook, Instagram and more.
See a slice of the Awesomverse on SmugMug.
We Heart You. Here’s Why.
Yeah, we blush knowing that so many of you swear by Camera Awesome and use it to capture so much of your lives. The proof is in the pudding: We’ve counted more than 13 million users who shot 250 million photos using the app. That’s almost twice the entire population of Japan.
And your top three favorite presets are: Blue Pill (17%), Goddess (14%) and Road Trip (12%). They’re our favorites, too, in addition to More Cowbell and More Wang (both 11% of all presets used).
And we’ve had some seriously impressive milestones that surprised even the biggest skeptics among us all:
- Last Week: Enabled volume shutter button for better iPhonergonomics
- December 2012: Tumblr integration/iPhone 5 optimization. (9 million users and 200 million photos taken)
- October 2012: iPad app launch + iOS 6 support (lucky 7 million users!)
- March 27, 2012: Released $9.99 Bundle + Instagram integration (doubled to 4 million users already)
- March 6, 2012: 2 million users in first week (1 million in first four days)
- February 28, 2012: Camera Awesome launched on iPhone at 3:33 PM
No matter who you are, where you are or what you shoot, we hope that you’ll keep taking us along for the ride, wherever you’re going for the next year… and beyond.
Oh, and One More Thing…
… Stay tuned for the Android version, coming soon. ;)
The Camera Awesome journey (or: How you helped us turn a little idea into a total game-changer)
If you’ve used your iPhone today, you may have noticed that Camera Awesome just got a nice big update. Here’s what’s included:
- Better bundling: It’s now just $9.99 for all effects, forever and ever. If you’ve already bought a few, it’ll do the right thing and bill you the difference.
- Getting started guide: In-app help shows you how to post, edit and share.
- Pinch to zoom: Easier, intuitive zoom. The way Apple intended.
- White Balance lock: Stick to one white balance in tricky light.
- Instagram sharing: Publish to Instagram with one tap.
- Smoother timer: Drag to set the self-timer. No more fat fingers.
These updates may look a little familiar – they’re some of the top feature requests you’ve been telling us since we launched Camera Awesome a month ago. We hope you love the additions and will keep sending us your feedback.
We’ve crossed 4 million downloads already (thanks to you)! To all you shutterbugs out there: Happy shooting and sharing.
We love photo gear and bet you do, too.
But sometimes just loving isn’t enough. Sometimes you take matters into your own hands because it’s fun, educational, and fills a photo niche.
Remote Tether Your dSLR to Your Smartphone
SmugIntern Kevin Harrington came to us years ago with little but a burning passion for photography. We’re sad that he’s all grown up, now. But somehow, between his Frankencam, mountain biking and morning classes, he’s found time to create the TriggerHappy Camera Remote and put it up on Kickstarter:
This idea totally toasts our bagels. You get one cable and an iPhone or Android app to control your dSLR on the go.
Why is it better?
It’s easier. Simpler. More versatile. And who doesn’t already do it all on their smartphone?
- Fire the shutter (duh!)
- Throw it into bulb mode for suuuuuuuper long star trails.
- Bracket for HDRs.
- Bramping. AKA “bulb ramping” for time-lapses when the light varies.
Swing by their website here to see all the details!
Pledge $5 by May 4th
Intervalometers are so passe, but TriggerHappy needs to raise $25,000 by Friday, May 4th, to launch. We know they can do it. We know you want one.
Go here and pledge $5 or more to make it happen! Pledge at least $50 and get yours hot off the press.
Don’t you want to spend your summer taking epic pictures? :)
Holy moly, you guys rock!
In a single week after we debuted our free iPhone app, Camera Awesome, we blew right past 2 MILLION downloads.
(This means we averaged more than three downloads per second. And you’ve taken over 10 million photos with Camera Awesome. Wow!)
This review on AllThingsD sums it up.
The #1 Photo App in 55 Countries
We couldn’t do it without you – our friends and family and fans – who have cheered us on, fought for us, and gave us the smackdown when we deserved a good dose of reality.
Thank you to everyone who’s given our app a try. We hope that we’ve accomplished our goal: to make shooting and sharing your life easier and faster. More beautiful. More fun.
Here are some Awesomized pics you’ve been shooting:
It’s not our style to rest on our laurels, so we’ve got to get back to work making your photos look even more awesome here.
The SmugMug Family