Today we’re announcing the latest SmugMug for iOS App, the app that gives you easy photo uploading to your SmugMug galleries from your iPhone or iPad. Finally, you (and your fans) have the power to view all your galleries and archive your mobile photos in a place you know they’ll be safe.
The app helps bridge the gap between the photo galleries on your camera and on your computer, so you have access to both when you’re away. Here’s how it works.
All Your Beautiful Photos in Your Pocket
The free, completely redesigned SmugMug for iOS app lets you take all your galleries with you, anywhere. You can:
- Browse all your own SmugMug folders and galleries (including private and unlisted ones)
- Upload photos to your SmugMug galleries
- Save galleries for offline viewing
- Mark galleries as favorites for easy, instant access
- Save and share photos and videos via SMS, email, Twitter, and Facebook
- Follow other SmugMug users and browse their public galleries, too
Perfect for Friends, Family, and Your Fans
With this app, everyone in your circle wins, too. Since you don’t need a SmugMug account to use it, the app is perfect for your mom, dad, in-laws, best friend, or even for your growing fan base.
Have them grab the app for free and add your SmugMug nickname. They can then browse and see what’s new in your galleries, and add their favorite galleries to the app’s home screen for one-tap viewing.
The SmugMug iOS App + You
Here are a few examples of how this app fits into your life:
- Go ahead and snap all the photos you want at your sister’s wedding. Open the app, queue up the uploads, and send her the link before they’ve even cut the cake.
- When you’re out taking pictures and the editor of a local travel magazine asks about your camera. You whip out your phone, show her your portfolio of iconic city landmarks and you walk away with a promise for publication.
- You’re on a flight out of LA and just struck up a great conversation with the guy in the next seat. Oh, he’s never seen those Joshua trees you’re talking about? Enter: Offline galleries.
- Use the Save feature to download your Leica photos to your phone, then post them to Instagram, Facebook, and all the places where you share. Your friends will think you’re a photographic wizard with that sweet, sweet bokeh. (Sorry, tiny mobile camera!)
- Add your favorite SmugMug photographers to the app’s home screen, so you’ll always have fresh inspiration in the palm of your hand.
Try the app now and let us know in the comments how you (and your friends) are using it, and what you think.
PS. Last year we announced the SmugMug for Android App, which also lets you browse, upload, and share your SmugMug photos. So if you’re a part of the Android clan, be sure to check it out.
In your busy life, the camera you usually have is the one in your pocket: Your phone! The photos you take with it are the easiest and most “real,” but they’re also the most difficult to get safely archived and online.
Don’t let your best memories die in a digital graveyard! It’s simple to get them out of your phone and safely up into SmugMug where you can cherish them for years… no matter how many times you drop, dunk, or destroy your device.
Today, we’re reminding you to do this often, so you’ll never be left grieving over the loss of your priceless mobile memories.
On iPhones and Android
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, it’s a no-brainer: use our Camera Awesome app. It’s a camera, editing suite, social hub, and backup service all in one, so you’ll never need to exit the app (unless you want to)!
How to do it: Download the Camera Awesome app. Tap the little gear icon at top left to open the settings and connect to your SmugMug account. You can then use the app to take all the photos and videos you want, edit them, and, when you’re ready, upload them to your account.
- You can also upload photos taken via other apps as well as your phone’s default camera through Camera Awesome, since we’re all about equal-opportunity backups.
- If you choose, you can set ALL photos and videos that you shoot with Camera Awesome to automatically back up to your gallery as you shoot. Or opt to send them only when you’re connected via WiFi.
- Alternatively, you can choose to save photos from Camera Awesome to your phone’s photo library and manually upload them to your computer’s hard drive (and to your SmugMug account!)
Hot tip: If you’ve taken a photo and for some reason can’t find it in your photo library, our Support Heroes use apps like iExplorer to find and access every file on your device.
Backing up on other phones or apps
If you aren’t using Camera Awesome, your phone should still allow you to access your images manually, so you can upload them to your SmugMug website for safekeeping.
We won’t go into specific steps for how to do this, since you’re probably already familiar with the process of plugging in your phone to your computer. You may even already use manufacturer’s software to download your photos to your computer and they may even offer to put a copy of your photos into existing free services that you use, like Dropbox or Facebook. This is a convenient option, but we recommend taking two more seconds to also drag your files into SmugMug, too.
Why? SmugMug’s the only service that’s completely unlimited to use, and we won’t squish or resize your images. Storage is already included in your subscription fee, and you can retrieve everything using the built-in backup feature.
We’ve got several really great ways for getting your files into SmugMug; use the one that works best for you. We like using the default browser drag-and-drop window, with the option to automatically skip or allow duplicate files.
If you walk away remembering nothing else….
… be sure it’s this: Please download and back up your photos on a regular basis so if your phone should ever get lost, stolen, or go on the fritz, you won’t miss a single memory that you’ve recorded. We’ve all had this happen to us, and with SmugMug you can retrieve thousands of lost memories with a single click.
Happy snapping. And don’t forget to back up!
Camera Awesome just turned 1, and we only have one thing to say about it:
There isn’t enough cake in the universe to show how much we appreciate the support you’ve given our free iPhone camera app over the last year. Mobile photographers like you have clicked, tapped, snapped, pre-corded, filtered, cowbelled, and koala sneezed us all the way to top of the charts in the App Store, and taken us everywhere in the world.
We’ve had such a great time seeing the gorgeous, funny (and sometimes awkward) #awesomized photos that pop up on Facebook, Instagram and more.
See a slice of the Awesomverse on SmugMug.
We Heart You. Here’s Why.
Yeah, we blush knowing that so many of you swear by Camera Awesome and use it to capture so much of your lives. The proof is in the pudding: We’ve counted more than 13 million users who shot 250 million photos using the app. That’s almost twice the entire population of Japan.
And your top three favorite presets are: Blue Pill (17%), Goddess (14%) and Road Trip (12%). They’re our favorites, too, in addition to More Cowbell and More Wang (both 11% of all presets used).
And we’ve had some seriously impressive milestones that surprised even the biggest skeptics among us all:
- Last Week: Enabled volume shutter button for better iPhonergonomics
- December 2012: Tumblr integration/iPhone 5 optimization. (9 million users and 200 million photos taken)
- October 2012: iPad app launch + iOS 6 support (lucky 7 million users!)
- March 27, 2012: Released $9.99 Bundle + Instagram integration (doubled to 4 million users already)
- March 6, 2012: 2 million users in first week (1 million in first four days)
- February 28, 2012: Camera Awesome launched on iPhone at 3:33 PM
No matter who you are, where you are or what you shoot, we hope that you’ll keep taking us along for the ride, wherever you’re going for the next year… and beyond.
Oh, and One More Thing…
… Stay tuned for the Android version, coming soon. ;)
The Camera Awesome journey (or: How you helped us turn a little idea into a total game-changer)
We love you, fans.
For 10 years, passionate photographers just like you have helped SmugMug become the company we are today. As we pour our hearts and souls into making neat new stuff like the Camera Awesome app, it totally bakes our cakes to see that you love using it as much as we do.
So, to celebrate a decade of being Smug — and to thank you for helping Camera Awesome become one of the most popular camera apps on the market — we’ve whipped up a beautiful infographic to share.
It’s chock full of facts, figures and tricks to help you shoot better images with the one camera you alway have.
Tip: Click the image to see it full-sized, or download your own copy and take it with you.
Get Camera Awesome Now
And if you’re new to Camera Awesome, you can download it for iPhone AND iPad and start shooting now. It’s totally free and comes bundled with 36 gorgeous effects and filters. With lots more available for just $.99 per set, $3.99 per category or $9.99 for all 262,143 possible combinations.
Need help getting started? We’ve got answers.
Links you’ll love:
Come join us on Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 for the latest episode of “Hang With SmugMug,” our shiny, new Google+ Hangout show on general photography topics of today. In this episode, Rocky Bowles, SmugMug’s Director of Community and SMUGs, will host a conversation about a hot topic in digital photography: Mobile photography.
Our guest this week is Mark Cleghorn: educator, author, award-winning pro photographer and staunch supporter of mobile photography. You’ve probably seen him at trade shows and watched his videos on the superlative photo education website, PhotoTraining4U.
Mark swears by his iPhone and the unrivaled power behind shooting great photos with the camera you always have, and sharing them to maximize your marketing mojo.
You can do it, too.
Where, What and When
Click here to RSVP and meet us on October 17 at 3:00 pm ET, 2:00 pm CT, 1:00 pm MT, 12:00 noon PT and 8:00 pm GMT.
We’ll talk about:
- If and how camera phones have changed professional photography
- How to incorporates camera phones into your photography to generate buzz (and money!)
- How you can use this technology for your individual, unique businesses
Are you ready to unleash the power of your smartphone camera? Bring your questions and be ready to share your thoughts and ideas. See you there and don’t forget to add +SmugMug and +Hang With SmugMug to your circles to stay up to date on news.
PS. If you can’t make the hangout, keep your eyes peeled. We’ll upload the recorded video to our YouTube channel so you don’t miss a thing.
If you’ve used your iPhone today, you may have noticed that Camera Awesome just got a nice big update. Here’s what’s included:
- Better bundling: It’s now just $9.99 for all effects, forever and ever. If you’ve already bought a few, it’ll do the right thing and bill you the difference.
- Getting started guide: In-app help shows you how to post, edit and share.
- Pinch to zoom: Easier, intuitive zoom. The way Apple intended.
- White Balance lock: Stick to one white balance in tricky light.
- Instagram sharing: Publish to Instagram with one tap.
- Smoother timer: Drag to set the self-timer. No more fat fingers.
These updates may look a little familiar – they’re some of the top feature requests you’ve been telling us since we launched Camera Awesome a month ago. We hope you love the additions and will keep sending us your feedback.
We’ve crossed 4 million downloads already (thanks to you)! To all you shutterbugs out there: Happy shooting and sharing.
Holy moly, you guys rock!
In a single week after we debuted our free iPhone app, Camera Awesome, we blew right past 2 MILLION downloads.
(This means we averaged more than three downloads per second. And you’ve taken over 10 million photos with Camera Awesome. Wow!)
This review on AllThingsD sums it up.
The #1 Photo App in 55 Countries
We couldn’t do it without you – our friends and family and fans – who have cheered us on, fought for us, and gave us the smackdown when we deserved a good dose of reality.
Thank you to everyone who’s given our app a try. We hope that we’ve accomplished our goal: to make shooting and sharing your life easier and faster. More beautiful. More fun.
Here are some Awesomized pics you’ve been shooting:
It’s not our style to rest on our laurels, so we’ve got to get back to work making your photos look even more awesome here.
The SmugMug Family