While we’re getting all wrapped up in the festivities of the season, we’ve also been hard at work on your many feature requests and feedback. Here’s a few of the most recent goodies that we’ve released!
New Updates to the Uploader
Our HTML5 uploader got an overhaul to match the rest of new SmugMug, and now shows you two columns of real-time info: the files you’ve queued and the files that we’ve successfully completed.
We’ll also check for duplicates each time you drag photos in, so you don’t have to refresh or reload the uploader for it to detect files you’ve already uploaded.
And fear not, happy draggers! The new uploader also sports an edge-to-edge drop target, which means you can drop your photos anywhere in your entire browser and they’ll get slurped safely in. More about uploading at SmugMug.
New Options for Your Map and Keywords!
We recently give you the ability to set the scope of what shows up in your Search content block, so we did the same for your Maps and your Keywords.Your Map content block settings will now display pins from the following:
- Recent photos
- Popular photos
- Galleries I Choose
- Photos I Choose
This is a perfect way to showcase your favorite vacation spots, when sharing the most difficult-to-reach photo gems with fellow photographers, or for planning out locations to take your portrait clients. Don’t forget to add a location to your photos if they don’t automatically get tagged!
Your keywords content block now has the additional scope options:
- Current location
- Entire Site
- Location I Choose
Since keywords are an integral part of search and helping your photos get found, it’s easy for your keyword cloud to mushroom out of control. Now you can use the new “Scope” option to refine what your fans see and keep it relevant to the page. More about keywords on SmugMug.
A Better Header
You may have noticed that your logged-in header looks a little different than it used to. Based on your feedback, we shuffled a few things around and moved the options to left side of the bar, for better clickability.
After all, you’re going to be hitting those pretty heavily, so why not make it perfect?
A few simple fixes for your Slideshows: We had a few reports about some slideshows skipping photos, which shouldn’t happen anymore.
Your visitors can now also see photos in your slideshows that are pulled from unlisted galleries. This is perfect for those times you just want to create a secret, separate gallery where you Collect or upload your best images from all over your site.
That’s it from us. As always, we’ve got more great stuff on the way so keep that feedback coming!
We’re not kidding. It’s finally here! We originally built the original Camera Awesome app for iPhone in 2012 and received such a huge wave of responses from mobile photographers all over the world. Since then, Camera Awesome has been downloaded by over 20 million iPhone users, but Android users asked us every single day when we’d have something for them.
Today’s your lucky day, Android!
What’s the deal? Why should I use it?
Camera Awesome is your ticket to taking great photos at any moment of the day. It’s a powerful, easy-to-use camera app perfect for photographers (but easy enough for non-photographers). It’s for creative people who love capturing their everyday memories and sharing them with those who matter most.
Unlike other camera apps, Camera Awesome combines
- a powerful, easy-to-use camera feature that helps you take fabulous photos and videos,
- a creative suite of editing tools – including the one-tap Awesomize button
- tons of filters, textures and frames
- an integrated share function that lets you save or send your photos.
You don’t need a SmugMug account to use Camera Awesome. But we recommend it because we’re all about backups, archivability and peace of mind.
See what our friend, photographer, educator and Android user Colby Brown from the Giving Lens has to say about it!
Will it work on my phone?
To hit the most popular phone models of the many out there, Camera Awesome works on the following:
* Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, Note 3 (UPDATE 11/13/13: The Galaxy SIII is now available in the Google Play Store. Go wild!)
* Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, (Nexus 5 coming soon)
* Sony Xperia Z, HTC One, LG G2 (UPDATE 12/3/13: Support added for LG G2)
* Moto X, Motorola Droid Razr
* Kindle Fire HDX 7″, 8.9″ (UPDATE 11/27/13: Now available on Amazon Apps!)
Since each phone and tablet is a special snowflake, we’ll keep adding to the list as time goes by. You can get the most up-to-date, detailed specs on our store page right here.
Where do I get it?
Right here, baby! It’s ready and waiting for you on the Google Play store.
Wait, it’s not free?
The initial (AKA iPhone) version of Camera Awesome was free to download and use, and we got a lot of feedback from users who wanted – and eventually purchased – the many premium filters and effects. With the Android version we decided to keep it simple and bundle the goodies right into the app, resulting in an easier process for you… and lots more to play with right from the start, for $2.99.
New to smartphone-ography?
Our very own world traveler, Michael Bonocore, shares his Top 10 Travel Photography Tips with Camera Awesome .
What if I have problems?
Our support heroes are standing by to lend you a hand, as always. You can also refer to our Android help page here for a basic overview of what the different symbols mean and how you can get started.
Hey, what’s this SmugMug thing?
If you’re thinking about opening your own SmugMug account to store and archive the photos you shoot on your phone (or your DSLR), you can get started right from within the Camera Awesome app. It’s totally free for two whole weeks, and when you start your account from the app we’ll even throw in a 50% discount automagically.
Thanks to all of our Android fans who waited for this! We hope you love it as much as we do.
It’s that time again, happy SmugMuggers! Here’s a quick update on what we’ve updated and fixed over the last few weeks.
Choose Where to Search
This is just what the doctor ordered for all you folks who want to cordon off your viewers’ searches to a specific portion of your site. Now when you click the settings you can choose exactly which folders and galleries get searched using the input in this field.
So, for example, if you took several galleries’ worth of photos on an epic world vacation 2013, fans who are looking for photos of “elephants” in India won’t dig up photos of elephants from your local zoo. Keep in mind that the regular search tips apply, so be sure you’re up to speed.
Tip: This new setting applies to the Search Box content block ONLY, and not to the search box that appears in your site header. That one will continue to search only the page that you’re currently viewing.
NEW AdSense Content Block
We’ve never forced SmugMug customers to display ads on their site, but we do have a fair number of business customers who wanted the ability to display paid ads to their own viewers. Due to popular demand, Power, Portfolio and Business accounts now have the ability to add Google Adsense units to any page on your site using the new AdSense content block.
You can add up to three of these blocks to any page, but please refer to your AdSense Terms of Service for specific information about what you should and shouldn’t do. Enjoy!
Filenames in Organizer
You gave us a lot of feedback about those thumbnails you’re seeing in your site-wide Organizer, and how you wanted to be able to see the filenames for each and every one. It was one of those “Why didn’t we think of that?” moments, so now we’ve added in a toggle for your organizing pleasure.
Find it in the upper right corner of the browsing pane of your Organizer.
Two Slideshow Improvements
Thanks to your feedback on our forums, we’ve added a randomization option to your Slideshow content block, found under the “Display” tab of the block settings. So now you don’t have to decide which photo gets seen first.
We also brought back edge-to-edge, full screen slideshow displays. This applies to the big slideshow that appears after you hit the “full screen” button in any gallery style as well as the Slideshow content block. Note that this applies only if you have Originals enabled in the photos’ gallery settings and if your Original photo resolution is large enough to stretch across the screen. We also won’t stretch (AKA distort) images to fit screens, so you may still see some letterboxing if your image isn’t the perfect shape.
Last but never least, here are our top picks from the mix of other fixes:
- Added back “Sharpening” settings for Power User accounts.
- Properly updated the preview URL when you click Hide Owner.
- Fixed stuttering video playback in some public galleries.
- Photos in passworded galleries with external linking “Off” will display properly when collected and used as featured photos.
- Gallery privacy levels (unlisted, private, passworded) are shown in all gallery picker windows.
Till next time. Keep the feedback coming!
We’ve been fixing a lot of stuff lately so we thought it’d be a good time to update you all on a few more things we’ve shipped this month. Without further ado:
Embed Videos from Vimeo
You asked, we delivered! You can now embed your Vimeo videos into your pages, in addition to SmugMug and YouTube videos. You’ll find that content block under the “Video” section of your customization menu.
Want more than just our basic contact form? No problem – the folks at Wufoo specialize in embeddable forms in all shapes, colors and sizes! If you’ve already got a Wufoo account, simply grab the shortlink they give you and look under the “Social” section of your customization menu. You’ll find the new Wufoo Form content block ready and waiting for you to paste it in.
Keep Better Tabs on Us
What’s more important than the status of SmugMug.com? Probably not a whole lot, so we’ve made it better than ever before. Check it out now and get familiar with it, so if you think you’re seeing something strange, you can peek in and see how we’re doing.
Tip: Want to know even faster? Hit the Subscribe button at the top and we’ll send you an email whenever things get exciting.
- Statcounter and Google Analytics work properly on migrated and unveiled SmugMug sites.
- Added the ability to discard your changes while in customization mode.
- Animated gifs display motion at all SmugMug sizes, not just Originals.
- Fixed UTF-8 fonts to display correctly.
- Added navigation arrows to SmugMug gallery style
- Option to hide the Slideshow button in Gallery Settings.
- Added option to add separators between your menu bar links.
- Cleaned up the lightbox so the same arrows and options show up no matter where you’re using the lightbox.
- Favicons should stick. For really-real this time.
- We smacked Smart Galleries so that they fetch new photos faster.
A huge, heartfelt thank you to all of you passionate readers out there who’ve shared your thoughts about the new SmugMug. Whether you’re Tweeting, Facebooking, Dgrinning, emailing or posting comments in our blog, we really do read every single response (even if we can’t always reply personally to every one). Change inspires great feeling in all of us, and it’s been a wild ride seeing just how the new features and tools have affected so many of you.
Since launch day we’ve been hard at work helping you get settled, cataloging your feedback, tweaking and polishing and making things that much better for you to use. So here’s the first batch of updates that gives you a closer look at some of the things we’ve shipped in the last week.
Gallery Comments are back!
When we launched, your gallery comments didn’t migrate with your photos, but we didn’t just chuck them into the trash. Now when you drop in a comments content block, click the wrench in the corner, choose a source and pull in all your previous comments from, say, your legacy guestbook gallery:
Show Off to embed slideshows
You’ve asked for an easy way to embed your photos into external sites, so we brought the Show Off feature into the new SmugMug. When you’re logged in as owner, you’ll see the “Show Off” option in the lightbox view, from the social menu. You can customize a beautiful slideshow of virtually any size to embed in webpages:
Events & Favorites
We’ve gotten a lot of feedback about this feature in the last week, so thank you to everyone who helped us track down and iron out the bumps. We have:
- … fixed issues your clients sometimes had saving and removing Favorites.
- … made it so that Event slideshows play perfectly again.
- … fixed an obscure bug so that all top-level folders display reliably in the Events gallery picker.
- Slicker, smoother video playback.
- “Auto” streams a juicy 640×480 and up.
- Are you in the EU? You’ll feel at home with our new, rule-abiding cookie consent bar.
- Presented a cleaner, new crop page on preview mode and unveiled sites.
- Upped the maximum number of Multiple Photos to 48.
Misc bug fixes
- Site Meta Title and Description SEO tools use YOUR text (not ours, unless you leave these blank).
- Tidied up the logged-out view of comments box.
- Passwords stick to your galleries, even if you move them into Public folders.
- Fixed navigation into Categories on legacy Sharegroups.
- You can set pricing on galleries before you’ve even filled them with photos.
- Gallery descriptions are visible to anyone with permissions to view your gallery.
- You can sort your Collected images in the Organizer.
Enjoy! As always, please don’t be shy about sharing what you love, what you don’t, and what you think doesn’t look quite right.
The SmugMug Family
We’ve been working our fingertips raw here at SmugMug HQ, feverishly building new things and sharpening the tools you use every day. Here’s what we released:
- The Big News this month was the launch of the best Android browsing app that you already knew: SmugFolio. It got a new name, new look, and the first of many new improvements. Thanks to everyone who left feedback about this app already, and we’ll continue to keep our ears perked for what you love (and what you don’t!)
- We also fixed a few important bits behind-the-scenes. You probably haven’t noticed anything amiss, which we love ‘cuz it means we did it right. As a result, SmugMug should be faster and even more stable than ever before.
That’s it from us this month. As always, thanks to all of our hard-working, passionate fans who tell us every single day how much we mean to them… and how we can be better.
‘Til next time,
The SmugMug Family
PS. Remember, you can always see the latest product updates from the Hot Topics link at right.