I hear tell on forums and from mail that many pros think that one SmugMug site looks like the next. Bah!
I’m constantly amazed at what can be done with our SmugMug customization. This idea came about from a discussion thread on Digital Grin. I first made my New York Minute gallery.. and then thought, “hmmm this could make a nice homepage mini-show!”
Oh and guess what? You can even use it for a personal site, too!
What’s that? You wan’t some of that? See you at Digital Grin!
I used to live in Salvador, so I have quite a soft spot in my heart for that awesome city. Kirsten Recknagel went to visit Salvador last year and posted this great gallery.
A few samples:
Over the weekend, Chinese New Year celebrations were held all over the world. A quick search turns up quite a few galleries. Here are a few samples by location:
Kuala Lumpur (protected images, click through to see)
Pasadena (click to see the photos)
Gung hay fat choy!
I thought this gallery had some really cool shots around Hawaii.
Busy holiday season for everyone at SmugMug, but especially me.
As a result, we had a ton of new things build up over the holidays and have a much bigger than normal release today. Here’s the list:
- Drag-n-Drop “arrange mode” for photos. Right from your gallery pages, you can re-order the photo display on ‘smugmug’, ‘smugmug small’, ‘Traditional’, and ‘All Thumbs’.
- New Drag-n-Drop option in the dropdown for Journal, Filmstrip, and Slideshow
- New “light box” popup view for larger photos. Try clicking on the medium-sized photo on ‘smugmug’ or ‘smugmug small’ galleries and see what you think.
- New “light box” popup view for Original sized photos all over the site.
- New ‘arrange categories’ tool
- New ‘arrange subcategories’ tool
- New ‘add to cart’ functionality is faster & easier
- New ‘batch add’ cart functionality is much better for adding hundreds of photos to your cart
- Super-speed on the shopping cart (the whole cart is now much faster, especially for carts with thousands (!!) of items)
- Revamped most of the help sections
- New “About Us” pages
- New news entries, including some video
- New smugmug pricing ($39.95/yr, $59.95/yr, $149.95/yr) for new accounts. Old accounts still at old levels, and will be for years
- New order emails, including details on estimate ship time for prints
- New shipping emails, including clickable tracking numbers
- New order details page shows you the current status of your order and possibly shipping information
- Times shown on pages should represent your local timezone
- “Make 2nd copy” now copies the Geo data too
- Updated beta uploader link and page
- Fixed slashes in Categories & SubCategories
- Customizers can reverse the way the arrows in Filmstrip work
- Fixed a problem with + signs in AJAX entries
And major changes to search:
- MUCH faster results. Go ahead, try it.
- No more lame type-ahead searching
- Search bar is now smart and remembers where you are while you’re searching
- Searching now works deeply throughout the site. You can now search for photos within a specific gallery, Category, SubCategory, Community, etc. You can then “drill up” to more broad search results.
- User results show count and pages links
- Gallery results show count and pages links
- Customizers can put the string SMUGSEARCH in their header to include the search bar in their custom look & feel
- Customizers search results are now customized too
- Removed some XSS vulnerabilities in search
There’s probably more, but some may have slipped through the cracks. I’ll follow up if it’s anything significant.
I saw this post over at Dgrin, and since his photos were on smugmug I went and took a look at the gallery. Here were a few of my favorites:
I ran across Terry Pyltarz’ site today, and found this gallery of winter shots. We don’t get snow or a real winter here in the SF Bay Area, so I have to live vicariously through smugmug galleries.