For last few years, SmugFolio was the best Android app on the market for SmugMug users to upload, manage and browse SmugMug on the go. People loved it. And so did we.
In fact, that app was so great we just had to buy it. So we did.
Wait, What? Can You Do That?
After talking with the app’s developer, we knew that we’d hit a gold mine of Androidical genius – Brian did such a great job designing, building and maintaining this app we knew he bleeds green just like us. And he’s been a long-time SmugMug customer, to boot. So we asked if he’d come join the cadre as one of our official Android engineers. We couldn’t be happier to have him on our team!
The New (Free!) SmugMug for Android App
Today the SmugFolio App gets a new name (SmugMug for Android) and a snazzy new icon that you’ll know and recognize in the Google Play store. It’s also free. But more than just a simple rebrand, we (and Brian) have made a few improvements to make your experience even better than before.
- You can now browse other SmugMug user accounts without needing to log into the app. This is a great way to give friends and family a way to browse your public galleries on their phones and tablets.
- The app has been made more secure by switching to OAuth for the login. You’ll need to login once you’ve updated to the new app. After you log in, your photos will still be available in the app. No need to re-download them all.
- To make the app more secure and to prepare for some exciting future enhancements, the updated app now requires you to be on Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) or above. If you’re using Android 2.x or earlier, you can can still use SmugFolio, but you won’t be updated to the new app. This wasn’t an easy decision, but it is necessary to move the app forward.
And in case you’re new to the app, here’s a complete list of features:
- Upload unlimited photos and videos into unlimited gorgeous galleries.
- Quick and easy access to your photos – even when you’re offline.
- Upload photos and videos on-the-go, or automatically upload as you shoot.
- Browse and search through galleries on SmugMug (ideal for friends, fans and family)
- Full screen slideshows across all galleries or within a single gallery
- Browse photos from favorite users without needing a SmugMug account
- Multi select to move, collect, delete, and share multiple photos at a time
- Auto download galleries when you’re on wifi
- Auto upload photos and videos from any location to any album
- Bulk upload multiple photos and videos at a time
- Upload with GPS location
- Display photo geolocation on Google map
- View detailed photo information
- View comments on photos and albums
- Delete photos and galleries
- Filter photos by keywords
- Assign photo ratings and filter by photo rating
- Create new galleries, edit gallery title and public setting
- Set photos as wallpaper
- Play videos
- Share URLs or photos with other Android applications
- Automatic short URL generation using SmugMug
- View photo or gallery on SmugMug
- Export photos and galleries to local device gallery
- Choice of browsing by category or by gallery
- Change download location to external SD card (or any folder you choose)
- Read only mode can prevent destructive actions like delete
Got questions? Our amazing Support Heroes have put together a quick FAQ on using the original SmugFolio app, and we’ll keep it updated.
Since the original creator is a driving force on our team, we’ll continue to improve SmugMug for Android even more in the coming months. So let us know what you think and what features you’d like the most.